stock drag washers ok?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by fuelish1, Aug 16, 2009.

1. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Ok...next noobie question.... I have a BRAND new, never used Penn 950SSm and a lightly used Penn Spinfisher 8500ss and a Penn Spinfisher 9500ss of UNKNOWN age or use (gift to me) Should I/DO I need to replace the stock drags of these reels b4 attempting to use them for some tuna popping? The BRAND NEW 950 has never been used, and was a gift, it's loaded up with 300yards of 40# PP and topshotted with all the 40# mono it would hold, the 8500 is loaded up with 30# PP and topshotted with all the 30# mono it would hold. (lightly used) and the 9500 was a gift and I have no idea what it's been thru....(handled my cuda and rainbow runner pretty ez though!) I know that tuna will totally test yer gear and destroy the weakest link....I'm wondering just how well the stock drags can handle any such issues, I'm NOT buying a STELLA unless I hit the lottery! Thanks for all yalls expert input and advice on this matter!

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I dont know how well the stock drags will hold up, but i do know that greased carbon fiber drags will last a very long time and will be very smooth. Having Max drag is not great if its not smooth.

d-a

3. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

I dont know how well the stock drags will hold up, but i do know that greased carbon fiber drags will last a very long time and will be very smooth. Having Max drag is not great if its not smooth.

d-a

that is EXACTLY what I want, SMOOTH and LASTING drag for when/if I catch a good tuna....THANKS for helping me clarify my intentions! (I KNEW I forgot something!):p

4. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

that is EXACTLY what I want, SMOOTH and LASTING drag for when/if I catch a good tuna....THANKS for helping me clarify my intentions! (I KNEW I forgot something!):p

Carbon drag washers are very inexpensive and easy to install. Maybe 10 bucks a set and will last. I know you have some money tied up in line, but I bet most will tell you to use 65lb braid all the way to the lure or a short fluoro leader, maybe 3ft. What you have may be undergunned line wise.

Joe

5. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Carbon drag washers are very inexpensive and easy to install. Maybe 10 bucks a set and will last. I know you have some money tied up in line, but I bet most will tell you to use 65lb braid all the way to the lure or a short fluoro leader, maybe 3ft. What you have may be undergunned line wise.

Joe

On the 48hr aboard the Dolphin, I was told we had to have at least a 100yd topshot....and then when I get onboard...there was one or two guys that were using braid all the way to the hook....ohwell...time to get ANOTHER spool of PP and tie a braid to braid knot to add another 300yards of line! THANKS for the 411! Carbon washers hmmm? Sounds like I'm building a RACE reel! ;)

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I think what Margarita mojo was getting at is that you want a heavier line to avoid YFT break offs and very long fights. Not saying you cannot land a YFT with 30 and 40# PP.
    Though I would suggest not having less than 65# so that you can put more drag on the fish and not spend so long landing them. I wouldn't connect heavier braid on top of lighter braid as you drag is going to be higher when you get to the lighter stuff because your spool won't be full.

7. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

The Penn reels have carbontex from the factory (HT-100). They might need a coat of Cal's or Shimano drag grease.

8. jig

jig Senior Member

I would take off the 30# PP and put it on my bay reels. It's just too light for what you want, and too thin (I think its dangerous).

Put the 40# braid on the 8500 and a 40-50# class rod for lighter game. I would put 50# when you eventually replace the line though. Using 40# is a compromise, because you already have it. IMO this is NOT a tuna rig.

Get 65# braid for the 9500. This is the older style reel, and plenty of folks have caught YFT on it, WITH appropriate line and rod. Put it on a 60# class rod, and you have a decent YFT rig.

I believe the Penns all have carbon washers stock. I would grease them with Cals grease though.

I would sell the 950, and use the money to get the 65# braid and an appropriate class rod for each 8500 and 9500, if you don't have them. The 950 replaced the 9500, and most folks don't think the 950 is nearly as good.

9. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

damn yall got lots of info and expertise on here! THAT'S why I ask yall....'cause I KNOW yall will tell it like it is and not call me an idiot for not knowing everything . Thanks guys, yall have been alot of help for me. Reading some stuff about fishing trips yall have posted up has helped me too! Yall ROCK!

10. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

I would take off the 30# PP and put it on my bay reels. It's just too light for what you want, and too thin (I think its dangerous).

Put the 40# braid on the 8500 and a 40-50# class rod for lighter game. I would put 50# when you eventually replace the line though. Using 40# is a compromise, because you already have it. IMO this is NOT a tuna rig.

Get 65# braid for the 9500. This is the older style reel, and plenty of folks have caught YFT on it, WITH appropriate line and rod. Put it on a 60# class rod, and you have a decent YFT rig.

I believe the Penns all have carbon washers stock. I would grease them with Cals grease though.

I would sell the 950, and use the money to get the 65# braid and an appropriate class rod for each 8500 and 9500, if you don't have them. The 950 replaced the 9500, and most folks don't think the 950 is nearly as good.

gonna redo my gear in this "offseason" and do just THAT! THanks!

11. Blockhead

Blockhead Guest

There is alot of info here,
    now you have to tell us where New Braunfels is?

12. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

north of san antonio i believe.

13. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

north of san antonio i believe.

ding ding ding ding....winner, winner, chicken dinner! We are right between San Antonio and Austin, home of Schlitterbahn, worlds biggest and best waterpark....I prefer the natural rivers here in town more tho! I am 3 hours from the gulf....that is the ONLY thing bad about living here!:cool:

14. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I liked Schlitterbahn better when it was Camp Warnakie (sp) back when the river was natural, but that was very long ago

D

15. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

I liked Schlitterbahn better when it was Camp Warnakie (sp) back when the river was natural, but that was very long ago

D
    I agree 100%....back then, the middle school principal was the manager of it too....

16. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

17. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

I use a Penn 750 with 50lb PP with a top shot of Metered Boat Braid and a FC wind-on for jigging... like you im not one to buy a stella..... the stock HT-100 work fine i do grease them... I fish that reel with 12-14lbs of drag with no prob.... i do carry a spare set of drag washers just in-case.

18. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

ding ding ding ding....winner, winner, chicken dinner! We are right between San Antonio and Austin, home of Schlitterbahn, worlds biggest and best waterpark....I prefer the natural rivers here in town more tho! I am 3 hours from the gulf....that is the ONLY thing bad about living here!:cool:

Only 3 hours! Wow I wish I was 3 instead of 8. Funny thing how we all see things differently based on our perspectives. I lived 1 hour away (when I became hooked to saltwater) then three would not have been worth the drive. Tight lines and glad you recieved a bunch of info.

19. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

thanks oldtrackster...there is alot of very helpful people on here that are full of knowledge and are willing to share...I've used ALOT of it and look forward to utilizing all I've been privileged to learn in the future as well! 1 hour...man, I WISH!!!

20. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

gonna redo my gear in this "offseason" and do just THAT! THanks!

Are you interested in selling the 950SSm? I may be interested.