360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyoneç
I am writing from the bay of biscay on the other side of the atlantic ocean. I have been following your comments for a while, learning in silence to try to improve on my fishing technique.
We have had plenty of bluefin tuna action during the summer over the last few years. Last year being very good with most of bluefin weigthing 120 lb and over, in dephs that varied from 300 feet to 3000.
I have been using a daiwa Saltiga tuna 85 for popping purposes paired with an stella 20000Fa and 80 lb tuf line.
I find this rod to be quite heavy and very unforgiving when casting, even though it has quite a lot of back bone when figthing a fish.
I am looking for a second outfit. I already have a stella 16000f and I would like another rod to cast stickbaits with it.
I am looking for a light rod with enough backbone to handle big fish.
Any input will be wellcome.
thanks in advance.

·
234 Posts
Rod for stickbait , Carpenter CV79/40RF SHP is my choise for casting stickbait 100 ~ 150 gr. ( no armaments ) , Kil Song can source this particular rod for you guys in USA . Weighs only 385 gr. and rated for PE 6~8 , myself own one and use it with STL16000F which has been retrofitted with carbontex drag washers .

Jon .

·
4,723 Posts
Kidflex has one for sale last week but I am not sure if it is gone yet.

gone gone gone Topper... I was very tempted.. :p

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, a carpenter rod is out of my budget anyway.
I decided long time ago not to go for the best tackle that money could buy.
I keep breaking all my best rods, so I try to keep a moderate aproach when buying tackle.
I do not want to get divorced ........yet :D

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
thanks guys, a carpenter rod is out of my budget anyway.
I decided long time ago not to go for the best tackle that money could buy.
I keep breaking all my best rods, so I try to keep a moderate aproach when buying tackle.
I do not want to get divorced ........yet :D
If Carpenter is out of your budget, I suggest Yamaga Atlas GT 76/8.
It is very light (365g), can work stickbait (upto 180g) very well and has enough backbone (rated to PE8). Guys who bought these rods love them.

Here are other options from popping rods I carry.

Hots
JM
Black Hole ( available from March)
OTI

--------------------

Jignpop.com

·
352 Posts
Hey Sua - would be really keen to hear about your bluefin popping - are you in spain or portugal? any pics or reports >>>>UK based :D

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really curious about those new Black Hole blanks, I might wait for them to arrive.
Tuna season in the Gulf of Biscay runs from the beginning of July to October. traditionaly fishing boats have been more interested in albacore rather than bluefin.
everybody knew about the bluefin but it was more of a nuisance rather than something interesting. fishing tackle was not strong enough to handle bluefin and in the north albacore is very appreciated in our kitchens (far more than bluefin)
last year, albacore did not show up and people started looking for bluefin that was quite abundant. Professional boats could not get them since they had already fulfilled their quota so tuna remained undisturbed by them.
Most of bluefin tuna where over 100 lb mark, many being over 200 it wasn't until September that we started finding school tuna up to 50 lb, But still, the big ones where still close to shore.
You can see a report by Nicolla Zingarelly on his English Blog. Nicola Zingarelli, Fishing, Photography and Travel: October 2009
This coming year, professional fishing quota has been cut by 40% and their season will end up on the 15th of June.
Things look promising for sporting anglers this coming summer

·
5 Posts
Hey Sua - would be really keen to hear about your bluefin popping - are you in spain or portugal? any pics or reports >>>>UK based :D

Images of bluefine tuna fishing on Popping & Jigcasting in Gulf of Biskay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts