Stepping It Up

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by moonsoft, Jan 30, 2009.

1. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

Okay I know this going to turn into a big controversy, but....

I got back from my first tuna trip, using my Hopper 600 with a Diawa Saltist 50 (4.9:1 version) , and I have a few things I want advice on. My concerns were;

1-- I noticed it was pretty difficult to handle larger fish.... maybe my puny arms .. I don't know.

2-- I noticed that I need something to pop with if I hope to tie into a good YFT

3-- I noiced that even when I setup the Diawa for heavier fish, that it was a bit tough to reel them in (maybe again my puny arms)

I want something I can pop with something that will land a GOOD sized tuna, it doesn't have to be a tank, but something that will handle the fight, without beating me up in to process, I feel my above setup beat me up a bit, it landed fish well, but I want something a little heavier with more versatility, starting with the reel what would solve or remedy most of my concerns?

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

big fish pull hard, period. i too have a problem fighting big fish with conventional gear, thats why i like to use spinners. some people are good with them. im 200lbs and pretty strong but still have more difficulty using conventional reels. get a spinner! sent you a pm btw

3. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

What kind of budget should I plan on setting aside? rod and reel.
    no pm yet btw

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What kind of budget should I plan on setting aside? rod and reel.
    no pm yet btw

If your serious about tackling tuna full time(3-4 times a year min) I would go ahead and get the best that money can buy. That doesn't mean you need to buy brand new, You can find good deals on lightly used gear.

There are some good deals on 2 speed accurate's on here.

There was a 20000 fa stella on e-bay it was less than $400. If i had to have just one reel for jigging and popping it would be a 20000.

d-a

6. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I got back from my first tuna trip, using my Hopper 600 with a Diawa Saltist 50 (4.9:1 version) , and I have a few things I want advice on. My concerns were;

1-- I noticed it was pretty difficult to handle larger fish.... maybe my puny arms .. I don't know.

2-- I noticed that I need something to pop with if I hope to tie into a good YFT

3-- I noiced that even when I setup the Diawa for heavier fish, that it was a bit tough to reel them in (maybe again my puny arms)

I want something I can pop with something that will land a GOOD sized tuna, it doesn't have to be a tank, but something that will handle the fight, without beating me up in to process, I feel my above setup beat me up a bit, it landed fish well, but I want something a little heavier with more versatility, starting with the reel what would solve or remedy most of my concerns?

I don't think you're going to get any controversy here. What you're asking is, "How do I whip a 200 lb. creature that's two-thirds muscle and works out all the time." ;) You need a rod with the right geometry, a good harness in a low position, and sound technique for the style you're using.

Whether or not you purchase Braid Products, there are a lot of good ideas here for how to get leverage on your side and how to make your leg and abdominal muscles do more of the work. Braid Tips

Here is another post showing photos of a boy who I believe is about 13 putting leverage to work.

Fighting Stance

and another,

Fighting Belt Position

7. gman

gman Senior Member

I would suggest a stella and a popping rod like an OTI

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

what size fish did you felt you got beat up with?
    what # drag settings were you using?

yes the oti is a good popping rod choice

9. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Technique and practice...... Pump and reel, not just reel. Fighting a fish underarm is not very practical and a good belt/harness is needed unless you get good at using the rail.

Your current set up can handle most of the fish that you will catch in the GOM. A 2 speed reel with a low low gear takes alot of strain off the fisherman when fighting a fish but it is second to technique.

You will need a spinnig set up for popping, Some good suggestions have already been made here and I agree with the Stella OTI combo. Good luck

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Moonsoft,

You've got the tuna bug. That's very common. This is what is going to happen in your future. You won't quit buying tackle until you get what you really need. Then you will want more. It's better to save up and do it right.

The minimum I would buy would be a 7'6" OTI popping rod 80# with a Shimano Saragosa 18000. You can cast poppers, and even jig with it. Being a two pc rod, it won't take up much space.

A step above would the Stella with the OTI Tuna Sniper rod. The Tuna Sniper rod is freaking awesome. I would get the 80# one if you are only to buy one. The SW10K is fine for Gulf YF tuna. Not as heavy as the 20K. But, if I was to buy only one, I'd get the 20K Stella either in the FA model or the SW model. The FA will be cheaper because it was discontinued about 6 months ago. Nothing wrong with them. They are an excellent reel. I think I even have a couple of extra 20K FA's barely used sitting around.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you plan on fishing mainly on a party boat i don't recommend jigging with a spinning reel unless you're about 6'6" or you like banging the reel into a rail. you can utilize the rail if need be with a convetional...can't do it with a spinner. i've tried it and personally don't like it.

gear ratio has more to do with cranking power....and people already commented on technique.

12. gman

gman Senior Member

if you plan on fishing mainly on a party boat i don't recommend jigging with a spinning reel unless you're about 6'6" or you like banging the reel into a rail. you can utilize the rail if need be with a convetional...can't do it with a spinner. i've tried it and personally don't like it.

gear ratio has more to do with cranking power....and people already commented on technique.

No you didnt just say that, Im 5'9 or 5'10 on a good day and i spin jig just fine

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how often do you fish on party boats though? its totally different on a private or charter boat....in which case i agree its no problem.

Attached Files:

14. gman

gman Senior Member

Ive fished the Jamaica, Miss Barnegaet Light and many others many times. Unless the rail is really really high you should be fine

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

im not saying you cannot do it, but that i personally dont recommend it. i've banged the reel on the rail....actually did it right before that tuna was gaffed. on chips boat in the other pic there is no problem. i prefer conventional reels to jig anyway, though...party boat or not.

16. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

My wife usually does not like to use spinning reels but loved jigging with one on the Sat-Cat, shes 5' 9"

17. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

Well I think you guys hit the nail on the head, first get a better harness, then step up the rod and reel, been hearing alot about the stella spinning reels, so I guess i would have to say for targetting larger YFT or larger tuna period I should probably pair a sniper with the stella 20000, should I change the line from my 80# braid/flouro?

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Well I think you guys hit the nail on the head, first get a better harness, then step up the rod and reel, been hearing alot about the stella spinning reels, so I guess i would have to say for targetting larger YFT or larger tuna period I should probably pair a sniper with the stella 20000, should I change the line from my 80# braid/flouro?

The 80lb braid is fine, but throwing poppers you can get away with out FC and a heavier leader. I use 130-170lb leader for popping. Jigging for YF i will use FC @ 80lb everything else gets 200lb crimped

d-a

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

im not saying you cannot do it, but that i personally dont recommend it. i've banged the reel on the rail....actually did it right before that tuna was gaffed. on chips boat in the other pic there is no problem. i prefer conventional reels to jig anyway, though...party boat or not.

When I was on JIGFEST 3 I saw several NEW stella's hit the gunnel :eek:

I prefer conventional's to spinners too, but can do both.

d-a

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you were on a private boat with low rails, as i said. the top picture i posted with the spinner is from the original jigfest. same boats you guys were on.

21. d-a

d-a Senior Member

as i said those were private boats with low gunnels.....you were not on a party boat...?

It was on Rick's and Chip's boat. I have seen it and experienced it on party boats too

d-a