360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second atempt at posting a pic. ever.so bear with me if it's not so hot. Here is a pic another boat took of a fish I caught Solo. I took this one on my OTI G3 600g. spinning with a stella 20000 FA (I love that rod). can't wait to do it again. maybe tomorrow. The guy that took the pic also helped me haul the fish in the boat, and sent me the pic a few days later. gotta love the attitude between most guys on the water. thanks guys.

Attachments

·
175 Posts
Great Fish,

Im sure you guys in the NE must do this regularly but, how would one go about tuna fishing solo. I get how you fish, but what happens when you catch? seems like to me that would create a very interesting predicament when it comes time to gaff the fish!

·
638 Posts
Way to go. That's a fatty for sure and the solo aspect is really an accomplishment.

Fred

·
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Fish,

Im sure you guys in the NE must do this regularly but, how would one go about tuna fishing solo. I get how you fish, but what happens when you catch? seems like to me that would create a very interesting predicament when it comes time to gaff the fish!

I've actually had much practice getting big fish in the boat solo. It's not as difficult as it may seem. I actually "pooned" this one ,but I landed one solo since this one, same size and just gaffed him, and hauled it over the side solo also. That was a little tough. If the fish weighed another 5-10 pounds it wouldn't have happened.

·
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome!

Used to solo some nearshore in my 30/40's. But past 50 now, better-half says no :eek: .

Dale

Ha! I'm in my 50's too bro. You can still do it.(tell her I said it was ok):) look at what Kilsong does.:cool:

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Real nice fish, and a sweet set up you got for one and two man missions. Those northcoast boats are super sturdy little tanks.

Fishing solo is the best, I do it often when I have an off day. Congrats on a nice(FAT too!) thunnus, and keep the reports and pics coming!!

·
1,321 Posts
Great Fish,

Allen, I have a pretty good book called "Crew of One" (I think that's it) about a solo marlin fisherman. Very interesting how he goes about it.

·
1,386 Posts
This is my second atempt at posting a pic. ever.so bear with me if it's not so hot. Here is a pic another boat took of a fish I caught Solo. I took this one on my OTI G3 600g. spinning with a stella 20000 FA (I love that rod). can't wait to do it again. maybe tomorrow. The guy that took the pic also helped me haul the fish in the boat, and sent me the pic a few days later. gotta love the attitude between most guys on the water. thanks guys.

Way to go! Solo BFT is a real achievement. So much is going on in your head while you fight the fish. Then, holding the rod in one hand, gaff in the other, then finding a tail rope and getting it on ... and if you're lucky it's 15 gusting 20 in five foot seas ... and no one's around to help get it over the transom. Excellent fish, story and photo!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts