Stella vs Accurate

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Hardon 22', Jan 30, 2009.

1. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

Looking to get a spinning reel for my new 8'6 Tuna Sniper 60-80, Trying to decide what to put on it? What do you guys think? Going to Panama and wanna be well prepared.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Stella

d-a

3. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

how big??? 20000,18000, or 10000???? This years model or the FA???

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

18k if it's dedicated to popping or 20k if you want it for double duty jig/pop.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Stella 18000 for casting as cuberas will test even the best reels and drags and you will need it for bigger tuna. My 18000 was really the only reel 5 used the whole Panama trip

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

glenn what line did you use? i cant remember what you said.

hardon22 - i am bringing a 7'6" 80lb popping rod (using 80lb line) and the 50lb tuna sniper and using pe5 or 6.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

I used Varivas SMP pe6 its rated 90 pounds casts like a dream, jigging I used Diawa boat braid PE8

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

gotcha thanks. i have varivas pe6 on my stella 8k which i'll cast inshore....not sure abt changing to pe5 or not havent decided. 80lb on the stella 10k. should be good on that.

9. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

Sounds like an 18000 is the way to go........... Thanks guys

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The only accurate I would consider is the SR20. It's very smooth compared to the SR30. If I was to buy only one Stella for the Tuna Sniper 60-80# I'd go with the 20K.

20K has more line capacity just in case the big one gets hooked. It has a 4.4:1 gear ratio compared to the 5.7:1 for the 18K. The line retrieval per crank is 50 inches/18K and 41 inches/20K.

The 20K can even be used by a woman to catch a Pacific Sail, so don't be concerned about the tiny weight difference. Here's some pics of a Tuna Sniper 60-80# with a 20K parked on it. It's caught tuna, roosters, cubera's, dolphin, sailfish,.. etc.
    The choice is yours. You did however buy a great rod. You will be very pleased with it's performance. Good luck on your trip.

Here's some pics of a 20K on the 60-80# Tuna Sniper.

Attached Files:

11. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

Is there a major difference between the FA and the new 20000?? And is it worth the money to buy the new one?

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Is there a major difference between the FA and the new 20000?? And is it worth the money to buy the new one?

Nope, just a few oz and redesigned spool lip and coating

d-a

13. gman

gman Senior Member

I think the lip makes a big difference in casting, you should pick up more distance

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

The FA stella stood alone (20000 class) wiith just a few close peers.
    The SW is an improvement on that.
    If your budget is for a FA or the few others in that range you will
    be getting a fine reel for that money. $600...more or less.

SW stella is top shelf for this year, 2 years from now who knows.

15. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I see different ways for describing the Stella 18000 on Ebay.

For example:

Shimano Stella 18000 SW GR “ARB”
    Shimano Stella 18000 SW STL

Are there different versions of the reel being sold??

I'm getting closer to 'biting the bullet'.

[​IMG]

16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I see different ways for describing the Stella 18000 on Ebay.

For example:

Shimano Stella 18000 SW GR “ARB”
    Shimano Stella 18000 SW STL

Are there different versions of the reel being sold??

I'm getting closer to 'biting the bullet'.

No, the two 18000 SW you listed are the same Stellas. There are cosmetic differences in the japanese domestic market (JDM) versions vs the US version, but relatively speaking they are the same reels. JDM versions have no Shimano support in the US as far as I know, so make sure you buy US version if you want full shimano support and warranty. Just bite the bullet already, you won't be disappointed. :D

17. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

as lordell stated there is no shimano support for their non u.s. market reels. even though they look similar and have parts that most likely interchange shimano usa wants nothing to do with them and you have to ship them off to japan (expensive) to have them worked on or to get parts. with that said some of their best reels and products never make it to our shores and to the retail sites here in the usa. i have a ton of kaikons and digitanas that i love that are not offered here in the states by shimano usa.....rick

18. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

ive read where bantam1 stated that shimano does work on japanese reels for a fee. unless the parts are not interchangeable. but most of the parts are.

19. DanS

DanS Senior Member

So, Shimano Stellas are like Canon cameras. There are "grey market" goods being sold. Thanks

PS - I'm not an impulse buyer and typical shop for the most reasonable deal. Further, being the calculating/analytical type personality, (35+ years in the financial/banking/CPA world), I evaluate all the angles. The best arguments yet for buying a Stella rather than anything less (other than being the most wonderful piece of equipment to use), is 1) the strong resale value, and 2) the heirloom argument. :) Since I have three sons, I guess I'll need to buy three, OR better yet, let them fight over it at my departing. :)