360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stella and Twinpower each have a 'snappy bail'. It snaps shut like a big mouse trap (rat trap?) with little prompting - snaps closed too readily for me. It seems a bit hair trigger. The problem is that occasionally when I'm preparing to cast, I somehow bump the bail or bail arm against my body. A light bump - I don't feel it. This is sufficient to cause the bail to close and then I attempt a big cast with a closed bail - disaster.
Can anything be done to slow down the operation of the bail so that it is not so snappy? Heavy grease on the spring?
I don't have this problem with Saltigas (or Catalinas). The action of the bail on these reels is milder (far less snappy) and I get on well with it. The Saragosa also has an easy going bail.
Thanks.

·
1,020 Posts
I took out this part (12436) for my older model Stella and turn it to a manual bail. I used to be so scare of throwing popper with it and only jig with it. Having 4 oz popper coming back to my forehead will hurt like a ……

Pretty sure other members will have better solution/s for you.

Handwriting Font Art Writing Drawing

White Organism Font Line Auto part

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the bail issue with the new Certate and Saltiga. The bail does not open wide enough in addition to it not being stiff enough led to the bail flying shut every 100 casts or so..

The bail springs are stiff and they open quite wide so i think you just need to practice your casting tbh. Reel should not come into contact with your body when throwing overhead. Never had an issue with the bail shutting close on my Stella's. They are quite snappy though, but this is an intentional design becuase it means the spring system is stiff which prevents accidental closure during a reckless cast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's funny, Ryan. I think I'm the opposite to a lot of people. I have heard people complain that they don't like the bail of the Saltiga (or Catalina or Certate SW) because its operation is softish - too indefinite. It doesn't have the definite 'click' or 'clack' of the Stella. But this doesn't bother me at all because the Daiwa bail is much less prone to closing prematurely because it has been bumped. The Saragosa bail is also good in this regard - and may have been specifically designed for casting, not so much for jigging.
This can be tested. Press your finger on the open bail of a Stella or Twinpower and see how ready it is to snap shut. Do the same with a Saltiga or even a Saragosa - it is quite a bit more difficult to get the bail to close by pushing on the bail of these reels.
I'm casting stickbaits with a 10 ft rod from the rocky shore. Often I have to focus on what the swell is doing and must maintain my balance on the rocks. I have this problem only with my Stella & Twinpower.

·
Super Moderator
6,458 Posts
Actually had this exact problem on an 08 Stella SW 5000. Same scenario- rock Jetties, balance, etc. Sent it to Shimano and they replaced the bail spring and everything is great now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting, exactly the opposide experience with me. Bail shutting during casting only happens with my Daiwa's. Bail does not seem to "lock" into place as easily compared to the shimano's in my experience. i will try the finger thing.

I throw 80~140g poppers and stickies on a 8~9 foot rod for yft. Offshore primarily, so i am using 14k, 18k reels., pe6~10

1 - 6 of 6 Posts