Stella SW 20K

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by pametfisher, Nov 19, 2008.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

No one in my area seems to have a Stella in stock and I'm thinking about buying a Stella 20K (when the credit markets open again ;) ) and would like to know a couple of dimensions if anyone can measure an empty spool for me.

What is the diameter of the top of the spool and what is the inner diameter of the spool when empty?

Also, I'm wondering what the maximum regular drag setting that this reel will stand up to. For instance can you set 30# and have a tuna make several runs without overheating?

Last question, it looks like the Stella 20K has big drag discs under the spool and the Saragosa 18K has only small washers in the bottom of the spool, does that sound right?

Any thoughts on a good place to buy one on-line?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Pame,

Welcome…

You should really try to find a place that’s near you and go hold one. Where are you located?

I have a new 20K JDM at the house but I'm at work so I can’t give you measurements at the moment. The Stella has a dual force drag system. It has drag disk on the front and back side of the spool. It will max out at around 55lbs of drag.

I haven’t actually had the opportunity to fish with mine yet so I can't give you an opinion on performance.

However, I know there are several Stella owners on this board that will tell you 30#s of sustained drag on a Stella is no issue whatsoever. This reel will take down massive fish.

I have never talked to a displeased Stella owner, it is, IMO, one of the top of line spinning reels you can purchase.

Do yourself a huge favor and find a location that has them in stock. You really need to go and put your hands on one. If you buy one, you will not be disappointed.

You should also take a look at the Daiwa Saltiga Expedition. Ebay is probably the best place to buy either of these reels unless you can find one in the classifieds.

3. pametfisher

ToneyC,

Thanks for your comments. I'll have to call around to find someone who has one in stock, my usual places in the Boston and Provincetown area don't have one in stock.

4. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

pametfisher,

Where are you located? I am an hour South of Boston and I can let you get the feel of several new 08 Stella models including the 20K. I live in Ranyham, MA and we could meet somewhere or you could come to my house if you are close by.

Let me know,

Al

5. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

pametfisher,

Have you tried Fisherman's Outfitter in Plymouth, MA? I think they still have the FA models available and they might be a bit cheaper than the 08 models.

6. pametfisher

pametfisher,

Have you tried Fisherman's Outfitter in Plymouth, MA? I think they still have the FA models available and they might be a bit cheaper than the 08 models.

I haven't, thanks, I will call them.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Also, I'm wondering what the maximum regular drag setting that this reel will stand up to. For instance can you set 30# and have a tuna make several runs without overheating?

The reel has max drag of 55 lbs and it proved that Stella can handle 30 lbs drag for long. We are talking about using the reel for tuna, but heavy models of Stella were developed for GT fishermen in mind who use heavy drag or lock-down drag to pull out big GT from structures.

Last question, it looks like the Stella 20K has big drag discs under the spool and the Saragosa 18K has only small washers in the bottom of the spool, does that sound right?
    I asked the same questions to a Shimano rep. He replied with smile "who is going to buy Stella if the Saragosa has the same size disc as Stella ?" :)

Any thoughts on a good place to buy one on-line?

I saw TackleDirect: Fishing Tackle, Reels, Rods, Lures, Line, Tools, Fly, Saltwater still sells FA model.

8. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I have owned my stella for a little over 3 years and have not had the first lick of trouble with it. This week is the first time the reel has been taken apart and bellyup says the reel still looks great on the inside.