Stella SW 10K PE5 or PE6 for Tuna?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by satkunas, Oct 19, 2009.

1. satkunas

satkunas Senior Member

Hello,

I have a Black Devil 200 for Panama next year. I don't know what reel to use with exactly. I'm thinking in a Stella 10K with YGK PE5 ou PE6.

With PE5 the reel takes 300m and with PE6 270m. I prefer a strong line, but it handles only 270m or less. Am I doing right?

If no, what do you suggest?

I prefer the SW10k instead SW18k because the reel weight. I think I will have a "light" set up with the 10k.

Accepting suggestions !!!

Regards

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Ive seen the tuna down there and I wouldnt want to use PE5 for them as Ive seen 200 pounders mixed in with 100 pounders. I love the 18000

3. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

I agree with glen 100% for tuna in Panama. The schools there are often mixed sizes and 50lbers can be swimming with 200lbers. It really comes down to how you would react to getting spooled/broken off on that trip.

If it "makes the trip" memorable for you to have the experience of not being able to stop a fish but you were stoked to have a lighter rig with less line capacity for the Cuberas/AJs/Roosters then go with the lighter rig.

If it would ruin the trip to lose the biggest fish of your life to being under-gunned and defeat the whole purpose of the trip then go heavier (Stella 2000SW or 1800SW).

imho a BD200 deserves a bigger reel...get a BD100 or an OTI Tuna Sniper for a lighter set up. just my 2 cents.

4. satkunas

satkunas Senior Member

OK guys, please clarify me about your suggestion:

1-) If the Stella 10K has almost the same drag as the 18K, what’s the problem with the 10K? PE6 Line capacity?

2-) If I go with the 18K, what line should I use?

Thanks again

5. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Hugh difference in line capacity. Following are the capacities Shimano publishes if using Power Pro PE line... tho most here on the board do not recommend it's use for various and sundry reasons.... I agree.

STL10000SW 50/405, 65/220, 80/125
    STL18000SW 50/845, 65/470, 80/390
    STL20000SW 65/525, 80/445, 100/305

I can not comment on the recommended line(s) for fishing. That is best left to those who have fished the intended waters, and greatly depends upon your target game fish.

If you do a search on this site for "panama fishing" you will find many good threads which contain info on tackle, lines used, and setups.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

OK guys, please clarify me about your suggestion:

1-) If the Stella 10K has almost the same drag as the 18K, what’s the problem with the 10K? PE6 Line capacity?

2-) If I go with the 18K, what line should I use?

Thanks again

1) Big line capacity difference between the two, see above.

2) I managed to fit exactly 300m of PE8 line on my Stella 18kSW. You should be able to fit 400m of PE6 line on your Stella 18kSW, definitely don't go below PE6 for fish in Panama.

As far as line, I have used Daiwa Samurai 100lb (PE8) and 80lb (PE6) with excellent results. I would also recommend Daiwa Saltiga Boat braid in the same sizes, 100lb and 80lb. If you wanna spend alot of money, look to Varivas Tuna or Big One in similar sizes, they are excellent lines as well. If you want to go cheap, Tuf-line XP 65lb or 80lb and Sufix 65lb or 80lb are good alternatives. Jerry Brown braid is also very good line. You have alot of options depending on your budget.

7. satkunas

satkunas Senior Member

Thanks Lord,

Your information is what I was looking for. PE6 is the minimum in Panamá, what about the quantity, the 10K will fit only 270m and the 18k handles 400m. Do you think 270m of PE6 is not enough?

Thanks

8. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

300yds of boat braid pe-5 will wit on a 10k sw spool. watched one get spooled last night.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

300yds of boat braid pe-5 will wit on a 10k sw spool. watched one get spooled last night.

Exactly ... You dont want to have a 200-250 pound yellowfin with only 270m of PE6. Besides if you hook a good sized inshore fish like a cubera your 18000 will be screaming even at high drags

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks Lord,

Your information is what I was looking for. PE6 is the minimum in Panamá, what about the quantity, the 10K will fit only 270m and the 18k handles 400m. Do you think 270m of PE6 is not enough?

Thanks

Like Gman and johndtuttle said above with mix sized fish to include 200lb monsters, it is not wise to go with 270m of PE6. I have both 10kSW and 18kSW, but I would not goto Panama with the 10kSW because of the catch reports we see from there. The weight difference between a 10kSW and 18kSW is roughly 6 ounces. I think it's not much to do some physical preparations prior to such a trip to Panama to maximize your fish fighting capability anyway since you have very good shots at 200lb yellows and huge black marlin out there. You will definitely get more out of your trip if you prepare yourself physically ahead of time, which in turn rewards you with the ability to use the 18kSW without worry of the extra weight. Just my two cents.. :)

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Like Gman and johndtuttle said above with mix sized fish to include 200lb monsters, it is not wise to go with 270m of PE6. I have both 10kSW and 18kSW, but I would not goto Panama with the 10kSW because of the catch reports we see from there. The weight difference between a 10kSW and 18kSW is roughly 6 ounces. I think it's not much to do some physical preparations prior to such a trip to Panama to maximize your fish fighting capability anyway since you have very good shots at 200lb yellows and huge black marlin out there. You will definitely get more out of your trip if you prepare yourself physically ahead of time, which in turn rewards you with the ability to use the 18kSW without worry of the extra weight. Just my two cents.. :)

dude that was awesome, perfect explanation

12. satkunas

satkunas Senior Member

Ohhhhhhhh,

Damm......I was thinking to reduce the weight, to reduce my physicall fatigue, however I will need to review my strategy and improve my muscules as well !!! At least I'm playing tenis 3x times a week lol !!!

Thanks for all

13. johndtuttle

Yea, there really is no such thing as "too heavy" in Panama. If you are fishing in the right location there is still a realistic chance of catching an all tackle World Record or personal best fish of a particular species. It's still that good.

A quote from a Lodge owner in the Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama:

Owner: "Man, we got some big Cuberas down here!"
    Fisherman: "Really, how big do they get :cool: ?"
    Owner: "We don't know because we can't land the biggest ones. They can't be stopped with 50 lbs of drag before they get into the rocks and then they cut off 400lb test leader..."
    Fisherman: ":eek: "

:D

14. gman

gman Senior Member

Yea, there really is no such thing is "too heavy" in Panama. If you are fishing in the right location there is still a realistic chance of catching an all tackle World Record or personal best fish of a particular species. It's still that good.

A quote from a Lodge owner in the Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama:

Owner: "Man we got some big Cuberas down here!"
    Fisherman: "Really, how big do they get :cool: ?"
    Owner: "We don't know because we can't land the biggest ones. They can't be stopped with 50 lbs of drag before they get into the rocks and then they cut off 400lb test leader..."
    Fisherman: ":eek: "

:D

This was my biggest cubera its a damn shame the picture is fuzzy. I had 3 fish take in the same area steal $100 dollar hammerhead poppers because I couldnt stop them in the first 5-10 seconds. Finally I tightened my 18000 drag as far as I could and palmed the spool to land this one

They are tremendous fighters especially in shallow water reef areas they require more drag than any tuna

[​IMG]

15. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Fuzzy or not, that is one sweet fish!

BTW, what leader were you using around the reef?

16. gman

gman Senior Member

Fuzzy or not, that is one sweet fish!

BTW, what leader were you using around the reef?

Thanks I was using varivas 170 most of the week. The issue was just stopping them when they hit. It was humbling because I had never caught one before on topwater so I had no clue what to expect. They hit the popper and are headed back down in no time just like a grouper

17. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Ohhhhhhhh,

Damm......I was thinking to reduce the weight, to reduce my physicall fatigue, however I will need to review my strategy and improve my muscules as well !!! At least I'm playing tenis 3x times a week lol !!!

Thanks for all

You might wanna play 4x a week =P

Nice Fish Glen, were you able to catch multiple fish on the 170lb leader or did you have to change it everytime.

18. gman

gman Senior Member

You might wanna play 4x a week =P

Nice Fish Glen, were you able to catch multiple fish on the 170lb leader or did you have to change it everytime.

My casting leaders were always really long like 15' so multiple fish I would just check for chaffing and re tie to swivel

19. johndtuttle

Photo below is from a bite at an offshore log in Panama that had a mixed school of YFT and Dorado underneath it. Tuna we caught were 40-130lbs with bigger in the school.

[​IMG]

Don't be under-gunned there are rhinos there! :D.