Stella question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by stresst, Oct 21, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Im looking to buy a 18k or 20k but whats the differance between FA,FD,SW? Which one do I need/should buy? Thanks

2. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Really depends on your targeted species and type of fishing...bait, jigging, popping. Give us some specifics and we can give you better advice.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

FD models are the smaller versions, i believe geared for freshwater use. the FA are the pre 2008 US versions. the jap and US 08 models are SW's.

the 18k will only be SW
    the 20k will be pre 08 FA or SW and 08 SW
    hope that helps any.

4. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

there is also the pg model. from overseas. it is geared lower than the fa.

5. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

Want to be able to have 600 yds of 55 lb braid and topshot. Doesn't that require the 20000? Which 20000?

Thanx

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

why do you need 600yds?

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Why 600yds of 55lb? For what purpose?

The short answer is any of the 20k's will come close to meeting that capacity requirement.

8. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am looking for a Stella thats small enough for bucktailing fluke but big enough to jig for stripers in Montauk. I am also looking for a stella to jig for tuna here in the NE. I was assuming a 5k and a 18K????

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

we use the 5K for fluking and stripers in the delaware bay in NJ.
    and i got the 20K for tuna for the lower gear ratio

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Although I haven't used it a lot, I have an FA 5K with one spool loaded with 40 pound braid and one with 20 pound mono, paired with a Smith 70MH. It is going to be my bay-rig-on-steroids and I am trying to imagine any inshore fish it couldn't handle--maybe one of those half-ton bull sharks tailing around in eight feet of water in Aransas Bay. :) I am not a striper fisherman but I have caught loads of bull reds and I suspect it would be ideal.

Russ

11. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

real 300 lb Bluefin possibilities. Even in a small quick boat, I need some room for error. For that fish, why would I go lower?

12. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

real 300 lb Bluefin possibilities. Even in a small quick boat, I need some room for error. For that fish, why would I go lower?

If you are thinking of the possibility of 300# bluefin I would think you would want to go with 80 or 100# braid and have a bit less capacity. The reel has 50+# of drag available, but with 55# you could only realistically fish with 20-25# of drag and that would probably take a while to bring in a fish that big.