stella or twin spin

Discussion in 'Reels' started by baldurs390, Feb 22, 2009.

1. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

i am going to be doing some northeast canyon tuna jigging, some jigging in florida, and possibly some bft jigging in the mudhole or in cape cod.

stella or twinspin? what size?

2. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I enjoy my 6 stella's and have not had any problems at all.
    I never owned accurate's but I saw one lock up causing an angler to lose a nice YF.

3. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I just sold a twinspin SR30 to get a stella. I thought the twinspin was a great reel, but got to play with a friends stella and the difference was pretty significant. The stella is a lot smoother than the twinspin and a little lighter as well. Don't get me wrong i love my accurate conventional reels and believe they would be hard to beat, but think that shimano has more experience with the spinning reel at the present time. I don't think you could go wrong with either reel, but the shimano probably has an edge on the twinspin.

4. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

thanks for the input. i am trying to get my bro to get me a twinspin because he has a accurate sponcer but not working to well.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

No matter how you feel, you just have to love the look of the twinspin. It's made in America from aluminum billet and just looks like a well made machine.
    It isn't as smooth or light as a Stella, but if I was window shopping, I'd pick Hedi Clume over Ugly Betty. I'm not saying that Stella's are ugly, but I like the look of a fine piece of machinery.

The Twinspin 20 is actually very smooth. It's my favorite twinspin. Accurate is now assembling a Twinspin 50 for me. I know it won't be the smoothest reel, but that large line capacity will help me accomplish some fishing goals.

I also love my Stella's. Smooth as silk and very reliable. I wish that someday, they will come out with a monster size one for those that have big dreams of catching very large fish on spinning reels.

6. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

The Accurate SR-20 is an awesome reel. Ideal size, not too big and not too small. I loved jigging with it. With a 5:1 gear ratio, you can use it to jig and pop. The 30L with a gear ratio of 4:1 was designed specifically for jigging. As Mr. Bill said, these reels are made from billet aluminum, and with proper maintenance it will last for a very long time. Accurate's service is also awesome. My hat's off to Matt and Ben of Accurate, they really know how to treat their customers right.

7. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

yea i do have a thing for the accurates. i have 1 197 3 270s 1 870n 665n red and black special edition 665 2 speed and 1 130

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I used Stella 8000 and Accurate SR20 and I love both.
    Stella is smoother, but SR has its own style. I plan to use SR20 for under 100 lbs tuna and Zeebaas ZX27 for 100 plus lbs tuna this season.
    Nothing is wrong with Stella I have, but too many guys use Stella and I know SR20 and Zeebaas ZX27 can do the job done as well.
    It is my habit to do differently from others or use different things. :)

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil did you end up putting a bail on your zeebaas?

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil did you end up putting a bail on your zeebaas?
    No, I jsut don't have time to visit the factory in CT.
    Before the Panama trip, I'll get a bail along with reinforced ball bearings for my reel.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if it performs well in panama on big tuna, it might become the ideal popping reel on the market, since it's as light as the stella 8000 and has the line capacity of the stella 20000.

the oval handle is OK, though i think id prefer a bigger handle ideally. would a JM handle fit?

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I like the looks of new stella and dogfight

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

if it performs well in panama on big tuna, it might become the ideal popping reel on the market, since it's as light as the stella 8000 and has the line capacity of the stella 20000.

the oval handle is OK, though i think id prefer a bigger handle ideally. would a JM handle fit?
    The small oval handle was a concern befor fighting, but it was OK as I didn't force to turn the handle and I turned the handle while pumping.