360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
2,177 Posts
I hope I'M wrong...it would be better that way :p

I've owned both 4000FA and 5000FA.... if I remembered correctly, 4000FA was smaller.... but I could be wrong!

·
163 Posts
2008 (SW = JDM Model)

Stella SW4000PG No spool interchangeable.
Stella SW4000XG No spool interchangeable.

The USDM 4000FD spool will fit the 4000XG model. Just to be sure, I checked the parts in both schematics and they are the same. Then I dismantled the drag stack and they were identical. Then I went fishing....and best of all.....it works.

·
970 Posts
Guys, I will repost this and have Bret make it Sticky for us. :D
We just call you since you have all those reels 5555555

·
10 Posts
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a new reels (Stella 18000 and Stella 20000) and i was wondering if there is a difference between the Stella 2008 JDM Model and the Stella 2009 USDM Model.
Is the difference only on manufactures location (Japan or US) or is there any other differences (weight, drag, ratio, capacity..?)

Thx in advance

·
1,627 Posts
the only difference is the one you mentioned and that the handle arm of the jdm model is gunsmoke, not gold as to the usdm

·
2,622 Posts
Ditto on thanks for doing the list and on Shimano customer service. I have always sent my JDM reels to Shimano California and never had a problem getting them fixed.

·
651 Posts
I have a 10000FA, I know it takes the 20000FA spool, will it also take the SW gunsmoke spool? This chart says yes, just want to double check :)

(same SW spool color as my avatar)

·
651 Posts
edit....nevermind, just scored a 20k spool on ebay for $93 :D

·
905 Posts
edit....nevermind, just scored a 20k spool on ebay for $93 :D

Good pick up. I saw that one today. I was thinking it won't last long.

·
651 Posts
There's an older JDM 16k spool up there too...but they want $140 for it :/

·
1,764 Posts
Dave Nowlin said:
If you had sent it to Japan would they have waranteed it? Isn't Japan closer to you than the U.S.? Do the JDM reels have anything like Platinum service available to them?
Ha.. just saw this however many years later. I was in Diego Garcia with a U.S. shipping address, so between the language barrier and shipping, was easier to deal with Stateside Shimano. Wasn't until I shipped it to them that I received a quote.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Platinum service is avail in Japan. I know the last Stella I had to have repaired, I think I had to pay for it. Some sort of rubber seal that disintegrated over time, but it was pricey. They said I got the last one available for that reel :blink: (98 Stella 1000). After service though reel still feels good as new.

·
86 Posts
Great information for Stella owners! I'm trying to get a list of parts for maintenance before shimano completely retires the 09 Stellas (silver/gold) parts.

This is also a good excuse to buy another identical 8000swpg for "spare" parts

·
4 Posts
korbeck said:
Great information for Stella owners! I'm trying to get a list of parts for maintenance before shimano completely retires the 09 Stellas (silver/gold) parts.

This is also a good excuse to buy another identical 8000swpg for "spare" parts
are you no parts of 08 Stellas will be available ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sugizo said:
are you no parts of 08 Stellas will be available ?
Shimano continues to support discontuned reels for 7 years after the last build year. Thus, the 09 stella sw's will be supported untill 2019 or 2020. Its the FA models that will become difficult to find parts for, thats why parts reels are poping up on ebay. The value of FA's is already reflecting this...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts