stella driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by bradizle, Dec 18, 2008.

1. bradizle

bradizle Junior member

Hey guys, im posting from Australia and after a Stella... older model preferred of the cheap prices these days..... but what really is bothering me is the size...
    It has to run 50lb varvias big one braid...

I can only afford to get one for the mean time...

This Stella will be used in Sydney harbour for king fish that get up to around 80cm , there has been reports of big harbour kings' around 115cm ...but never know my luck :D... they rats pull like freight trains in only meters of water , its ethier you land the rats or they dust you...

I want to jig them offshore aswell in about 150metre depths... more common bigger kings offshore sydney , cracking JUST over a meter at times

Also taking the reel offshore for YFT and casting metals and poppers for tuna (TWICE A YEAR only) since my holiday house is up the coast with good game fishing...

First i thought the 8000, but then the spool capacity was only 300m of 50lb. cant jig in 150m and left with hardly anything if i hook a massive king.
    then it was the 10000... then i heard that's its the same size only shorter spool... which could be interchangeable... and the 10k has a quite a quick retrieval rate and couldn't be good for me while cubing YFT and trolling or even jigging up king fish from the ocean floor..

Then the 20k... its a bloody huge reel and im only in Australia... not chasing dog tooth tuna out of tiny little holes they live in or poppering massive GT's.

Thank you all, Brad

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

if you're not into the 20k stella Brad, sounds like you might need to save up a little for the 08 Stella 10000PG which will give you the added line capacity you want and still weigh only as much as the old 8000FA's. Hope this helps!

Brian

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

when you say kingfish, do you mean amberjack or similiar? if so, then no worries about them pulling that much line out. an 8000 stella will land most fish and is probably the most versatile of the group.

4. JerseyBrian

Kingies in Australia are the same as our Yellowtail off the west coast in the U.S. Bri :) I recommended Brad the 8000FA (my favorite, most versatile reel), but if he's worried about the extra line capacity...the 10000PG is the next choice up :)

5. bradizle

bradizle Junior member

Does the 10000PG, have a quick retrieval rate tho?? not really after that..

Or bite the bullet and get a 8000FA and the 20K FA

6. JerseyBrian

Does the 10000PG, have a quick retrieval rate tho?? not really after that..

Or bite the bullet and get a 8000FA and the 20K FA
    I wouldn't have recommended you the 10000PG if it had a quick retrieve ratio ;)

It has a 4.9:1 Gear Ratio :)

If you ebay HARD, I'm sure you could get the 8000Fa and 20000FA only for a bit more than the cost of one 10000PG :)

7. bradizle

bradizle Junior member

No 8ks on ebay and nowhere to be found in australia dammnit... HOPEFULLY ill come accross one after christmas.. the 20ks a little more easier to find...

8. JerseyBrian

search through ebay.us too just to make sure ...you might find a seller willing to ship to Australia :) A member on here recently purchased a 8000FA on ebay for $399 so they are out there!

9. bradizle

bradizle Junior member

brian.. the tuna off sydney RARELY go over the 60KG mark... How will a 8000fa handle up to a 60kg model just incase.. TROLLING AND lCUBING

300m of 50lb..

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

dude, andy landed a 267?lb bluefin tuna on a stella 6k with 8k spool. there aint much an 8k stella cant do. the 20k doesnt feel that heavy, and with the 20k youll have more headroom.

11. JerseyBrian

But it also depends on underwater topography. Cape Cod bay is very shallow which prevents the BFT from sounding deep.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

But it also depends on underwater topography. Cape Cod bay is very shallow which prevents the BFT from sounding deep.

Didn't you catch your biggest AJ on the 8000 and pull it away from the rocks and coral? How big was it 130cm?

d-a

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You can catch any kingfish under 100 lbs with 8000, but I woul limit to 50 kg tuna for 8000. You could catch bigger tuna over 50 kg on 8000, but you will eventually lose bigger one due to lack of line capacity. I almost got spooled twice of 8000 by 120 - 130 lbs tuna. You need two reels. :)

14. my03

my03 Member

hey mate I'm from Sydney as well and I pop for kings and spin gars off the stones, a 10k would be good thats what I use, and i run 60lb, i use a 16000 spool, so i got a bit of line in ther ein case i hook up a longtail or i dare say a marlin. you want the quick retrieve for throwing poppwers, but it might get a bit tiring for jigging, I think a stella 8k would do the job except for deep jigging, in my opinion, any kingie that takes more than a 100m will bust you off before he spools you. It's very rare to see a king take more than 80m of line and ive landed and witnessed a fair few 20kg plus models. The trick with big kings is to go hard on them when theyre out wide, and dont even bother bringing him in close until he's half dead. They';re tough fish and you can really knuckle down on them, you dont have to worry about pulling hooks like tuna.

It depends what you're going to be doing more, jigging or popping? a 10k is overkill in the harbour, you wont even hear the drag, i think a 15kg setup is the most you'll need in the harbour unless you're livebaiting. my harbour stick is a 3000 reel with 30lb braid and a 30lb rod, I spin sluggos and other 3-4 inch plastics

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I said he needs two. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

do NZ kingfish fight harder than CA/baja yellowtail?

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

do NZ kingfish fight harder than CA/baja yellowtail?
    There is an article in Dec Sport Fishing Mag of overall ratings of offshorenearshore/inshore game fishes.

Here are their ratings of nearshore game fishes:

SPECIES .........SPEED/STAMINA /QUALIT

1.tuna(dogtooth).........4.1/4.0/ 3.4
    2.tunny,little .............4.0/ 3.7/ 2.8
    3.Caf. yellowtail.......... 3.5/ 3.9/3.0
    4.Amberjack .............. 3.1/ 4.6 /2.5
    5.cobia..................... 3.0/ 3.6 / 3.0
    6.kingfish................... 4.4./2.8/2.9
    7.salmon, chinook........ 3.2/3.0/3.0
    8.cubera snapper (Pac). 3.0/3.4/ 2.7
    9.barracuda, great....... 3.6/2.5/3.1
    10.grouper................ 2.3/3.3/ 2.3

*quality means fighting quality.

Personally, I don't see much difference bewteen AJ and kingfish as both are good fighters. Among yellowtails I think yellowtails in Loreto, Baja fought hardest.

18. bradizle

bradizle Junior member

Ive really had a thought about it...

I think the 8000 for jigging and SPINNING off the rocks...im more of a harbour bloke tho
    Will that bit enough line cap tho for longtails? they are quite common where i go..

and the 20k offshore for tuna.

19. my03

my03 Member

i use a stradic 8000 for my longtail work, i fit just under 300m of 30lb, while this kinda capacity is a bit under the desired for longtail, you 'll land them with ease, just go hard on them from the start, the longtail you will encourter wont exceed 20kg

in my opinion, kingfish are one of the best pound for pound fighters, they're strong, but the fight doesnt last long, the ticky thing about kingies is they are smart fighters, they will hit the bommies or reefs as soon as they see one, this is why you almost need double the line rating when comparing bluefin to kingies, because they will be times when you'll need to lock up on the fish, it's not uncommon for us to use 100lb leader when livebaiting for kings 15kg+

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

There is an article in Dec Sport Fishing Mag of overall ratings of offshorenearshore/inshore game fishes.

Here are their ratings of nearshore game fishes:

SPECIES .........SPEED/STAMINA /QUALIT

1.tuna(dogtooth).........4.1/4.0/ 3.4
    2.tunny,little .............4.0/ 3.7/ 2.8
    3.Caf. yellowtail.......... 3.5/ 3.9/3.0
    4.Amberjack .............. 3.1/ 4.6 /2.5
    5.cobia..................... 3.0/ 3.6 / 3.0
    6.kingfish................... 4.4./2.8/2.9
    7.salmon, chinook........ 3.2/3.0/3.0
    8.cubera snapper (Pac). 3.0/3.4/ 2.7
    9.barracuda, great....... 3.6/2.5/3.1
    10.grouper................ 2.3/3.3/ 2.3

*quality means fighting quality.

Personally, I don't see much difference bewteen AJ and kingfish as both are good fighters. Among yellowtails I think yellowtails in Loreto, Baja fought hardest.
    ahhh, i should have remembered this. the magazine is sitting next to my couch :)