Stella Confusion Please Help!

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Jim Hensley, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jim Hensley

Jim Hensley Junior member

I am coming real close to buying my first popping reel and shopping on ebay but here is where the confusion comes in. I did a search and saw where they appear to be the same reel with different model numbers some JDM and some US market but can someone explain the differences in model number and mostly the price.

STL20000SW best price was $760.00 which seems great to me

SW20000PG prices ranged from $988 to $949 not sure of the difference here

SW20000ARB only one on ebay at $830

SW20000PGARB only one at $970

2. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

3. deadsea

deadsea Member

You coul buy the JDM version but won't feel the difference.

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

But to answer your question, All the reels you listed are the same reel. There are a few Ebay sellers discounting reels and the US reels are getting the deeper discounts. ALL the Shimano Stellas are ARB which is their anti rust bearings. If you buy US model, Stella US will warranty it. If you're set on buying a 20k, get the first one.

Fred

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I would recommend that you get the Stella 18000SW for your popping outfit, unless you're looking for a single reel for both popping and jigging, then go the 20000SW route.

6. Jim Hensley

Jim Hensley Junior member

Thanks guys. I thought I had read somewhere here that the SW20000 was the recommended popping reel but I always prefer smaller if it does the job. Less fatigue. I've got a couple of conventional jigging outfits so this will be used strictly for popping. I appreciate the feedback. Jim.

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

The 08 Stella 18000SW is not a smaller reel compared to the 20000SW. They are the same size, with the 18000SW having a shallower spool.