stella 8kFA or 10kSW for sniper 40-60?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by LEXPRO, Apr 21, 2009.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I just ordered a 40-60 sniper from Mike and was thinking of buying a second
    8kFA for it as i already have one and two spools. So i would have 2 reels and 3 spools between them. But something keeps telling me to consider the new
    10kSW. Is the 10kSW worth the extra $$ in this situation?

2. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

You might want to look for a deal on 6000FA for the faster gears... They usually don't command as high a price, and you already have an extra 8000 spool so no need to add one. (I found a deal on JDM 8000HG. But that's the same thing and they are usually pretty scarce.)

Justifying the price difference will be up to you. If you want new model then just get it.;) BUT... there's a good chance you can find a lightly-used 6000FA for half the price of new 10000SW. Just sayin...

Jason

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I should have added...

If you want to fish PE6 then IMO it pushes decision strongly to 10K. If your using PE4-5, then 8K is OK.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Get the new Stella 10kSW, once you hold it, play with it, and catch big fish with it, you'll be glad you bought one, trust me. It's an amazing piece of machinery... IMO

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Ok I just got one from Jeff on ebay (reelseller) for 729 shipped.

6. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I got the reel in and its nice but I dont like the fact that you cant just change the arm from left to right....

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

you need to change the shaft to change sides.

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

you need to change the shaft to change sides.

Yea the old ones you just flip sides, this one you have to actually change parts...

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i used hte 8000FA and think its perfect for the rod.

the 10k SW would be great as well. I got the 8k for half the price of the 10k SW so i went with that.

10. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

does the new sw come lefty or righty?

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

you can use the handle on left or right...

12. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

I will still buy FA model because it has much higher max. drag ( twin drag system ) than the new SW model ( single drag ) , if one has already owned 8000FA then a 6000FA with higher gear ratio will complement each other .

Jon .

13. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Lexpro - either Stella FA or SW - both reels are great anyway
    Of course, SW models have improvements but with a hefty costs.

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I'm in the market for a 8000FA...
    As it has so many different uses.
    Probably the most versitile size for multi-species

15. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Dan
    You are tackle hoooo...

16. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Yea the old ones you just flip sides, this one you have to actually change parts...

Which parts?

17. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

The arm shaft has to be changed...

18. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Is that only on the 10K SW? I don't see this problem (by looking) on my 20K SW... although I haven't actually tried to insert the handle on the right side.

19. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Dan
    You are tackle hoooo...

I was in my fishing office/storeroom (LOL) and I noticed how my offshore casting gear evolved over the years, as i like to get something new every season.

2004-2005 Penn Slammer rod with Okuma CD reel with 30lb mono. I used to freeline baits on 12hr party boat trips and my friend's boat.

2006 Used ebay Penn 9500SS with a Sea Magic 6'6" rod and 100lb braid. Used it for my first Big E trips and caught first topwater tuna on it.

2007: Stella 8000FA and OTI 7ft rod with 50lb braid. Ive caught all kinds of fish all over with this setup and love it.

2008: Stella 10000FA with OTI 7'6" 80lb rod with 65 or 80lb braid. Caught some Tuna in PV but has seen limited action because i love the 8k/OTI7" so much.

2009: is the setup i just got. Stella 10000SW with 40-60 OTI Sniper. From messing with it i think that once i fish with it i will like it alot!