Stella 8000FA

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Fish'nFool, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Hey guys,

Got into jigging last summer and what a blast - I'm hooked! :D My first fish caught jigging was a cobia and it was my first cobia to boot. Looking for some opinions from the jigging experts on here. I am considering buying this reel for jigging because it's light and prices are right for slightly used/new.

I am jigging in 85/100+ft of water off NC coast for AJ, Cobia, KM, smallish tuna, hoos etc. Anyone have any experience with this reel and how it will perform for jigging spooled with 65lb braid teamed up with a 6ft OTI 300g spinning rod? Or should I upsize to the 10000?

Thanks
    Chris

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

That will work great for you unless you are in deep water catching monsters. How much did you find it for?

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Can you still find parts for the FAs and how long will u be able to find them??

4. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

That will work great for you unless you are in deep water catching monsters. How much did you find it for?

Thanks! I have not nailed one down yet, but prices seem to be in the range of $450 (from private sellers) - $599 new through online retailers.

Good question on the parts. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a reel and not be able to repair it.

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The Shimano service rep says the patrs will be available for a while for the fa.
    It is a sweet reel. One of my jigging buddies has a Stradic 8000 and has caught tons of ajs to 50# and a few grouper in the 20+ range with no problems. The Stella is twice the reel the Stradic is for sure.

6. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

The Shimano service rep says the patrs will be available for a while for the fa.
    It is a sweet reel. One of my jigging buddies has a Stradic 8000 and has caught tons for ajs to 50# and a few grouper in the 20+ range with no problems. The Stella is twice the reel the Stradic is for sure.

Good info - Thanks spiney!

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I just bought a Saragoosa 8000 and only wished i had the difference to upgrade to a Stella.

8. califisherman

califisherman Junior member

My friends work at shimano in Cali Two of them are Plat Techs The parts will be around for a long time. No worries!

9. califisherman

califisherman Junior member

Ive used the 8000 Fa on the gulf A lot it will def due the job!

10. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Ive used the 8000 Fa on the gulf A lot it will def due the job!

Thanks! And better news on the parts.