Stella 8000fa - What size line and how much?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gmack, Mar 7, 2009.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Just aquired an 8000fa. Will be using to jig with a 400gram OTIx2. Would also like to throw topwaters to tuna in the GOM (using another rod of course). I'll be fishing from a private boat. What size line should I use? I was thinking Daiwa Boat Braid 80#(PE6). Will it hold enough of the PE6 for topwater tuna?

Gary

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

60lb braid will be an idea line size for that reel, JMO

3. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

It will hold 330 yd of 55lb boat braid

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Pe 4 if you need the line capacity or Pe 5 if you need the line strength.

d-a

5. Stevedallas28

Stevedallas28 Junior member

crazy jigger nailed it. the 300m 55 pound spool of diawa boat braid fills it perfectly.

6. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I'd really like to try PE5 line or around 60-70# line. I've got some of the Daiwa "55#" PE4 on a Saltiga 20 for snapper jigging and it's super thin and I would like something a little heavier. Would I be better off with Tufline XP/Supeior Suffix type or Daiwa Boat Braid/Varias Jigging line for casting? I don't have expierence with casting spinning reels with braid.

Gary

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I'd really like to try PE5 line or around 60-70# line. I've got some of the Daiwa "55#" PE4 on a Saltiga 20 for snapper jigging and it's super thin and I would like something a little heavier. Would I be better off with Tufline XP/Supeior Suffix type or Daiwa Boat Braid/Varias Jigging line for casting? I don't have expierence with casting spinning reels with braid.

Gary

I have the Varivas tuna in Pe 5 on my 8000. I tested it at 74lbs and got 270 yards on it.

d-a

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

8000FA is perfect for casting and jigging with PE-4 55lb Daiwa Boat Braid.
    One spool PE-4 300m is perfect fit on the reel spool.

You can filled it up with PE-5 70lb Daiwa Boat Braid but less line capacity(250-270m).

I have couple spools filled with PE-4 and PE-5 Daiwa Boat Braid.