Stella 8000

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bolo, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Fishing for Permit yesterday. I had a 30+lb Permit hit my crab and made a hard run. When palming the spool to apply pressure I notice the spool to be a bit hot to the touch. The drag work smoothly and had no issue. The fish cut me off at the piling of a bridge. Is this normal for the spool to get hot? I never had this issue with my Twin Spin. I am wondering if I need to send the reel out for servicing since this was a second reel that I purchased from this forum.

2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Never caught a permit but have caught lots of 50+ lb tuna on my Stella 8000 without having any issues with the drags overheating. What line test were you fishing and how many lbs of drag? My 8000 has 50# spectra and 50# fluorocarbon topshot. Your drags must have been screaming to get that hot so I am assuming light drag pressure.

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

almost sounds as if you were missing a drag washer or the stack is configured wrong. shouldnt get that hot unless you had it cinched down pretty tight.. and I dont think a permit could burn off enough line with 25+ pounds of drag to make it hot. i would send it in for inspection and service.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

mine has done it before on decent tuna. its a small spool so it makes a lot of revolutions compared to larger spools. it takes a good run though. service can never hurt but im not that concerned for the time being.

5. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Never caught a permit but have caught lots of 50+ lb tuna on my Stella 8000 without having any issues with the drags overheating. What line test were you fishing and how many lbs of drag? My 8000 has 50# spectra and 50# fluorocarbon topshot. Your drags must have been screaming to get that hot so I am assuming light drag pressure.

40lb Jerry Brown with a 40lb top shot mono. I fish with a light drag to allow the Permit to run. If I tighten down on him he will go crazy and try to cut me off on the pilings. I have landed several Permit and Tarpon and never had my spool heat up. This Permit ran so hard and I was pissed off when I lost him. :(

6. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

almost sounds as if you were missing a drag washer or the stack is configured wrong. shouldnt get that hot unless you had it cinched down pretty tight.. and I dont think a permit could burn off enough line with 25+ pounds of drag to make it hot. i would send it in for inspection and service.

I was suspecting that could be the problem but want to check to make sure. This is my first Stella and heard great things about them. They are so smooth.

7. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

mine has done it before on decent tuna. its a small spool so it makes a lot of revolutions compared to larger spools. it takes a good run though. service can never hurt but im not that concerned for the time being.

The drag work smoothly so I wasn't worry about it failing on me. I have had Shimano Stardic drag gets sticky on me and had the line break because of it jerkiness. I will send the reel in after the fishing season. Thanks for the help.