Stella 8000 needs a rod

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by JCollins, Oct 19, 2007.

1. JCollins

JCollins Member

Hey Guys I found this site while looking up info on many different aspects of Saltwater fishing and I think that you guys will be able to give me some very sound advice.

Anyhow to the point of my post... I have a Stella 8000 that I use on Martha's Vineyard to surfcast for Stripers. I need a rod that would fit it for casting/jigging down in the Keys for tarpon, jacks, and whatever else may bite. I realize it is a little small for some of these fish but at this point I can't go spend another $600 to get a bigger one.

So what would a good rod be for this reel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking at some Cape Fear rods but wasn't sure which may fit the bill.

Jeremiah

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'm wild about the OTI 7' spinner. It's light, real light, and would be a great match to your 8000. Although I don't know much about stripers or tarpon, they have power for 70 lb YFT.

Fred

3. newman

newman Guest

I'm wild about the OTI 7' spinner. It's light, real light, and would be a great match to your 8000. Although I don't know much about stripers or tarpon, they have power for 70 lb YFT.

Fred

I second that expecially on the 70lb YFT. I used that exact setup on the GEM 07 and it was a perfect match.

JCollins you have a PM.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

gimmedeal]I'm wild about the OTI 7' spinner. It's light, real light, and would be a great match to your 8000. Although I don't know much about stripers or tarpon, they have power for 70 lb YFT.

2 other good rods of the same ilk as the OTI are the Smith 70MH (butt joint) and the 3-piece Loomis GL 15-30 pound travel rod. I have both of the latter but if I were buying now the OTI would be high on the list.

Russ

Fred[/QUOTE]

5. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Oh, and Jeremiah, welcome to 360.

Fred

6. JCollins

JCollins Member

Thanx for the great welcome guys. It seems that I have found another site with great people.

Thanx for the advice on the Rod. I will probably go with that one if I can get it to my house on time before my trip of a lifetime.

Look for me to post some more things regarding tackle and all the stuff I am going to need to get started fishing down in the Keys. I know what I am doing when it comes to fishing up North and in Freshwater but getting tackle for down South is going to take a lot of advice from guys like you that do it on a daily basis!

Jeremiah

p.s. I am interested in catching tarpon, YFT, jacks and anything you can catch trolling ballyhoo.

7. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey Jeremiah!

I'll second the welcome! Let me know what date you need that rod in order to make your trip.

BTW, I fish the SW8000 for offshore topwater and I don't think you could have chosen a better reel!

I'm looking for a Jigging Master handle to put on it -I can't find them in stock anywhere- and it then should be perfect, for me anyway!

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I have an OTI spinner with an 8000 and i love it...

9. JCollins

JCollins Member

Ragman you have a PM.

10. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Got it; replied!