Stella 20000 SW Braid Recommendations

Discussion in 'Reels' started by offshoreman, Sep 3, 2009.

1. offshoreman

offshoreman Junior member

Just received my new Stella 20000SW. Getting ready to spool it up, I was going to spool it up with 80Lb. hollow core. What do you guys recommend? How much 80lb. hollow will it hold? I'm new to jigging, but have fished saltwater for the past 30+ years.

2. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I'm pretty sure it holds 400yds of 80lb OTI braid. For jigging you will really appreciate the color coded line.

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

My strongest recommendation would be to have BHP Tackle spool it with 60# JB hollow-weave. I have tested it four times this year, and the breaking strength has been running between 95 and 110 lbs. That makes it better than many 80# lines. BHP has a spinning reel winder that can apply over 12 lbs. tension and the spools come through very tightly packed, the last ones took over 500 yards. I have handled several spools for wind-on leader customers and the spools have been very well wound.

Splice End Loops and you have no loss of strength then think about making or buying wind-on leaders. Just get ones that stand up to load-cycling and casting.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

I dont suggest hollowcore for jigging I feel it gets caught up in the water, it seems to sink at a different rate than solid braids especially in deeper water. I would spool up about 400 yards of solid 80 braid

5. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Unless you REALLY enjoy the current taking your line sideways, steer clear of 80# string. You DO NOT need it for vertical jigging and 60# works so much better.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if youre jigging in water where you want to know the depth of your jig (i.e. for tuna in deep water) then color coded line is a huge bonus. "Fish marked at 120'" - you can drop there quick. The whole counting business is bogus IMO. If you're in an area where you're just dropping to the bottom then obviously it doesnt do much good.

7. DanSparx

DanSparx Junior member

Just a question for people using hollow-core, is there much of a diameter difference between the hollow and solid braid when it is packed down? Mainly asking because I was able to fit 650 Yards of PE 6 solid braid onto my spool and was wondering roughly how much hollow of the same PE 6 or upto PE 8 would fit in comparison.

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Just a question for people using hollow-core, is there much of a diameter difference between the hollow and solid braid when it is packed down? Mainly asking because I was able to fit 650 Yards of PE 6 solid braid onto my spool and was wondering roughly how much hollow of the same PE 6 or upto PE 8 would fit in comparison.

This is a great question. The Handbook of Fibre Rope Technology says that when you put a line with a hollow-weave pattern under tension (in our case winding tension) the space in the line disappears completely. Hollow line is not really hollow, but it is woven in a way that you can get tool into the middle of the weave and expand the weave.

Here are the best rules of thumb I can give you for Spectra or Dyneema lines:

1) How much you can get on the reel is directly proportional to the ABS (actual breaking strength) of the line (not the marketing number on the box). If the line is stronger, you get less line on the reel.

2) How strong the line is is directly proportional to how much Spectra or Dyneema the use to make the line. More material makes the line stronger, which makes the line thicker.

3) There are no weaving "secrets", no line maker has a patent on weaving pattern or thread count. Line weaving technology is thousands of years old. Some makers seem to take more care in the manufacturing, which makes a more consistent, higher quality line.

4-strand Spectra is coarse but inexpensive to make. This is PowerPro, a less expensive, rough line. $

8-strand Spectra is smooth and costs more to make. This is Daiwa Boat Braid, a more expensive smooth line. $$

12-strand Spectra can be woven 6 strands to the left and 6 strands to the right. This creates a so-called hollow weave. You can make a no-loss-of-strength End Loop by splicing. $$$

16-strand Spectra can be woven 8 strands to the left and 8 strands to the right. This creates a very smooth very easy to find-the-center so-called hollow weave. It is very good for making spliced leaders. $$$$

The only cost/disadvantage to a hollow-weaving pattern for fishing is that it takes more threads, which makes it more expensive to weave, which makes it cost more. After you pay the extra price, you get a line that is smooth and by making spliced End Loops rather than knots, is very strong for the cost.

9. offshoreman

offshoreman Junior member

Thanks for all the replies, Basil just confirmed via email that my 20000SW will hold ~500 yards of 60 lb. hollow that has been breaking around 107 lbs.

My strongest recommendation would be to have BHP Tackle spool it with 60# JB hollow-weave. I have tested it four times this year, and the breaking strength has been running between 95 and 110 lbs. That makes it better than many 80# lines. BHP has a spinning reel winder that can apply over 12 lbs. tension and the spools come through very tightly packed, the last ones took over 500 yards. I have handled several spools for wind-on leader customers and the spools have been very well wound.

Splice End Loops and you have no loss of strength then think about making or buying wind-on leaders. Just get ones that stand up to load-cycling and casting.

10. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

damn....I wonder what the actual breaking strength of the JB 130 hollow is? I dun wanna break my rod AGAIN!