Stella 20000 FA question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by north coast, Aug 22, 2009.

1. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I just bought a stella 20000 FA. I'm rigging it to fish bluefin On Stellwagen.It's going on my OTI 600g. How much Pe6 or Pe8 is this thing going to hold? I'm going to fill the reel and use maybe 10 ft. of fluoro up front.I'm thinking either Daiwa boat braid or OTI. Thoughts? Who filled one of these?how much do I need? thanks

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I just bought a stella 20000 FA. I'm rigging it to fish bluefin On Stellwagen.It's going on my OTI 600g. How much Pe6 or Pe8 is this thing going to hold? I'm going to fill the reel and use maybe 10 ft. of fluoro up front.I'm thinking either Daiwa boat braid or OTI. Thoughts? Who filled one of these?how much do I need? thanks

I got 400 yards of the OTI 80lb line on my 20000

d-a

3. north coast

I got 400 yards of the OTI 80lb line on my 20000

d-a

Thanks D-A. If you don't mind my asking ,Where did you get it,Or where would I go to get that or Daiwa Braid?

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey guys,
    north coast, glad you got Stella 20000FA. We found Saragosa don't have durability for big bluefin in Cape Cod though it can handle a few bluefin.
    Stella 20000FA has enough line capacity for 80 lbs braided line

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks D-A. If you don't mind my asking ,Where did you get it,Or where would I go to get that or Daiwa Braid?

You should be able to get it from Paul at JPR rods( JPr Rods), Kil at Kilsong's jigging world(Network Solutions E-Commerce Web Site) or any other dealer(USA : Ocean Tackle International)

As far as the boat braid, there is usually deals on ebay for it, Just have to keep a watch for what you want.

d-a

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

North coast,
    if you are going to use the reel for popping, hollow braided line is another option. Use 80 - 100 lbs JB hollow braided line ( in fact, 100 lbs JB hollow braided line is thinner than 80 lbs) and get special short topshop from Pametfisher for loop to loop connection. Its been proved very effective and trouble free.

7. north coast

North coast,
    if you are going to use the reel for popping, hollow braided line is another option. Use 80 - 100 lbs JB hollow braided line ( in fact, 100 lbs JB hollow braided line is thinner than 80 lbs) and get special short topshop from Pametfisher for loop to loop connection. Its been proved very effective and trouble free.

Thanks Kil.
    Probably mostly Jigging, But you never know. I get out there some morning and they're all over the surface, I just may be doing some popping.
    I Know about, and was thinking about those leaders Pametfisher makes. I just may do that.

D-a ,Thanks, I'll look and see what's on ebay.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I sell Daiwa Boat line too though it is hard to beat e-bay price.

9. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I have recommended that several people load up Saragosas and Stellas with JB 60# hollow. For some reason it is running very strong this year, testing over 90 lbs. I'm guessing that Jerry beefed it up a little. I loaded two 20000 FAs of my own and got about 400 yards on each reel. The line on mine tests over 100 lbs.

Basil is doing a great job on these Stellas with his upgraded line winder. He's winding under really high tension and getting more line on the reels. His price to load the Stellas is very reasonable and his turn around is fast.

I met a guy on Thursday who just had Basil load a Stella 20000 SW with the 60#. It really came out great.

If you want stronger line than what JB calls the 60# line, go with 100#--the JB 80# is great line but better for making windons than loading reels, in my opinion.

10. pametfisher

One more comment, for my jigging 20000FA which is also loaded with JB 60#, I overspliced some colored hollow line every 30' that way, I know the depth. It took about 30 minutes to add six overspliced markers to the top 200' of line.

11. north coast

I have recommended that several people load up Saragosas and Stellas with JB 60# hollow. For some reason it is running very strong this year, testing over 90 lbs. I'm guessing that Jerry beefed it up a little. I loaded two 20000 FAs of my own and got about 400 yards on each reel. The line on mine tests over 100 lbs.

Basil is doing a great job on these Stellas with his upgraded line winder. He's winding under really high tension and getting more line on the reels. His price to load the Stellas is very reasonable and his turn around is fast.

I met a guy on Thursday who just had Basil load a Stella 20000 SW with the 60#. It really came out great.

If you want stronger line than what JB calls the 60# line, go with 100#--the JB 80# is great line but better for making windons than loading reels, in my opinion.

Ha,
    60? really? Your makin' me nervous. :p I was using 80 back when these fish were all 40 and 60 lbs. I've never been one to "under" gun myself on line test. Not that I don't trust your opinion, but I'm tough on gear. I like the stiffest equipment I can comfortably use. I'm used to muscling fish in. About 80% of my time on the water is spent commercial fishing.Instinct these days has me puting the fish in the boat as fast as possible. My cellar is full of "broomsticks".lol I'm using 100 Power pro on my cod rigs.
    Basil? Sorry, I'm in the dark. who are we talking about and does he have:) 100? Thanks pamet, I might look you up for some of those windons folks seem so fond of.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Ha,
    60? really? Your makin' me nervous. :p I was using 80 back when these fish were all 40 and 60 lbs. I've never been one to "under" gun myself on line test. Not that I don't trust your opinion, but I'm tough on gear. I like the stiffest equipment I can comfortably use. I'm used to muscling fish in. About 80% of my time on the water is spent commercial fishing.Instinct these days has me puting the fish in the boat as fast as possible. My cellar is full of "broomsticks".lol I'm using 100 Power pro on my cod rigs.
    Basil? Sorry, I'm in the dark. who are we talking about and does he have:) 100? Thanks pamet, I might look you up for some of those windons folks seem so fond of.

This is Basil BHP Tackle - Wind-On Leaders - Topshots - Fluorocarbon Wind-On Leaders - Hollow Spectra

d-a

13. pametfisher

Ha,

I know! 60# line sounds nuts! But the truth is that what's on the box for most lines means very little. The line JB is marking 60# test this year will beat the pants of most every 80# line. Still if the number on the box matters, go with the 100# JB. (With my 60# JB line I have dead lifted 105 lbs. off the floor and it hasn't broken.) If I can I try to test a sample of what I'm going to buy.

Basil is Basil Pappas of BHP Tackle. Very well known around here for his great Wind-Ons, Topshots and customer service on line winding.

14. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

just wondering, what is it about the 80# you don't like that makes the 60# and 100# better alternatives?

15. pametfisher

just wondering, what is it about the 80# you don't like that makes the 60# and 100# better alternatives?

Good question.

First let me say, that the JB lines have all proven to be very strong this year. I have tested the lines at least a dozen times.

The simple answer is that the 60# and 100# lines use 12 threads in the weave and the 80# uses 16 threads. As a result, the 80# is more expensive. Often, you get a little more 100# on a reel than 80# which probably means the 80# is a little stronger than the 100#.

The 80# JB is an excellent line for making glued-serve, wind-on leaders. The extra threads make it easy to splice. Also, if you don't mind the price and have a lot of room on your reel for line, the 80# is fine.

The 60# JB has tested at 95 to 105 lbs. ABS (actual breaking strength during testing), which is more than strong enough for a Stella 20000 (or that class reel). You splice an end-loop to the mainline, loop-to-loop your leader and end up with a line system that has an ABS of >90lbs. This means that for leaders of 100# and less, the weak point will be your terminal tackle knot. This is a good thing since you know where to focus your attention, just that knot. This has dramatically cut the number of break-offs up in CCB for those using wind-ons this year.

PF

16. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

One more comment, for my jigging 20000FA which is also loaded with JB 60#, I overspliced some colored hollow line every 30' that way, I know the depth. It took about 30 minutes to add six overspliced markers to the top 200' of line.

Roger,Any pics on that? Looks like a good idea rather than using a marker. The marker seems to run on the white JB hollow.

17. pametfisher

Roger,Any pics on that? Looks like a good idea rather than using a marker. The marker seems to run on the white JB hollow.

I took some photos with my cell phone camera at the last minute. The idea is to cut 18" pieces of colored hollow weave JB. Then run your splicing needle through the middle 6" of each piece so that you have two 6" tags.

Put all your marking pieces on a long splicing wire and slide them all onto the mainline at once. In my case, every 30' I splice one into the line.

Picture the middle six inches of the marking braid slid over the line. Then pull the 6" tags into the mainline before and after the mark. Smooth everything well.

Photos below. The first photos shows all the pieces on the wire, the second photo shows them being slide down the line.

Attached Files:

18. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Thanks Roger. Looks simple enough. Is that hollow core larger than the 60# main line?

19. pametfisher

Thanks Roger. Looks simple enough. Is that hollow core larger than the 60# main line?

I had 80# on hand but you could do it with 60# just as well.

20. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Basil / Pametfisher,

How much JB 60# are you getting on a SW20000? I just finished spooling up mine and it took a whole 600 yard spool except for 25-30 yards that I used to make some windons. Does that sound right or do you think spool of line I got was a little short?

km

21. pametfisher

Basil / Pametfisher,

How much JB 60# are you getting on a SW20000? I just finished spooling up mine and it took a whole 600 yard spool except for 25-30 yards that I used to make some windons. Does that sound right or do you think spool of line I got was a little short?

km

It sounds about right to me, a little more than I remember, Basil would have a better idea.