360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 4 new ones at the beginning on the season.....I tighten drag down just till snug and wash with sponge and dishwashing liquid lightly, rinse, and towell dry after every trip.....I love the reels but have experienced two problems to date....
First the bail roller started pitting....Not sure if it is baked on finish or what but the black gloss coating chipped on two out of 4 so far....Rollers were replaced and I am noticing pitting on the other two...HMMMMM
One of the 4 had a weaker drag output so took apart at the Goose Hummock and we found one of the smaller washers was blown up into 3 pieces...I ordered 4 whole sets of drags but shimano didnt have the parts to send but did have a single replacement.
I use no more than 20-22lbs .....I was surprised the washer blew......Still with these problems they are FAR and above the Saragosas and Fin Nors.....but damned are they expensive...
Anybody else experience any problems with the new SW series this season?

Capt. Jeff Smith
Fin Addiction Charters

·
4,723 Posts
You must have used the $hit out of them to have stuff blow up to 3 pieces, LOL! Good testing and thanks for sharing the info with us, keep it coming!

·
1,541 Posts
Send them to shimano, still under warranty. You'll get 24 hr turn around on the diamond reels like the stellas and trinidads and calais.

·
797 Posts
dishwashing liquid

personally i wouldn't let dishwashing liquid anywhere near my equipment beause of it's designed purpose to break down oil and grease

i don't want to break down my reels and re-lube everything after every washing just because of the fear i'd have of that soap getting into the guts o'my reel

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
I've had the roller bearings go on the stellas and saltigas but we fish hard as well. THey are easy to replace or send back. Never had them pit though. I just use fresh water mist and clean towel every trip, NO soap, and also oil them down once in awhile. I let shimano do the greasing, i do the greasing on the saltigas.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sort of like using WD40 on fine gun parts. No!

personally i wouldn't let dishwashing liquid anywhere near my equipment beause of it's designed purpose to break down oil and grease

i don't want to break down my reels and re-lube everything after every washing just because of the fear i'd have of that soap getting into the guts o'my reel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts