360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my Premier Surf Rod ( PSRC86M2 17lb Line ) 2 weeks ago
( after casting for an hour and landed 2 large blackfins on Shibuki )
on the Big E. I sent the rod back a week ago and today got a call from
St Croix Customer Service, he said he is going to send me a new one
and offered me an upgrade to their Legend series ( Recoil Guides, Lifetime
Warranty ) for a fistful of dollars. Of course I took his offer.

It's good to know St. Croix will do what it takes for customer satisfaction.
Thumbs up from me! ( I own about 20 St Croix Premier rods )

Tip:

St Croix rep went on to say that when mating 2 piece rods that I should
always push on & align them 1/4 off , then twist on to align & lock; pushing 2
pieces together alone will not be tight enough and will cause the top
piece to slip out over time and cause breakage. (which I think was what
happened in my case )

I will try out the Legend on my next outing with the Big E next month.

·
3,165 Posts
When u were showing me how your rod got damaged, I told u I had a similar event happen to me with a Penn30 IGFA rod. I took pics of the damaged rod, sent to Penn. Penn rep David called me about a week later and they examined the break. The replaced it with a new 2008 model 30 IGFA, he mentioned the pics I sent them really helped out in their assessment/conclusion.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
I'm a big St. Croix rod fan. I broke one rod a few years ago. The third time I rolled in the kayak while landing in 3' breakers it finally snapped. I couldn't believe it survived the first two times. Didn't even bother trying to replace it since I was obviously 100% at fault.

I wish they made heavier SW graphite/blend blanks.

·
223 Posts
I wish they made heavier SW graphite/blend blanks.

Take a look at their SCII Musky/Saltwater blanks. I have a bunch of these wrapped up for saltwater use (BarBar does a lot of St. Croix customs for saltwater). Kilsong has also tested a couple of these in the past. They are extremely light and very strong.

All mine are 8fters for partyboat fishing, they also make shorter ones, check the catalog. The ones I have are:
2m79xxxhf 65-100lb rating, casts 10-16oz, very stiff.
2m86xhf--cut to 8ft from butt 36-80lb rating, casts 4-10oz, lighter tip than above, but good solid backbone, this is my dedicated partyboat jig stick.
2m80hf--30-65lb rating, casts 2-6oz, I use this one to toss lighter jigs
2m80mhf--20-50lb rating--this particular rod is rated to cast weights as light as 3/4oz and up to 4oz. I used this one down in Florida for Mutton Snapper as a 30# bait rod. Its a Mahi rod for my Northeast stuff.
2c80mxf--12-20lb rating, casts 3/8-3oz--this is my bait stick for squid jigs and sabikis. I also used it for Yellowtail Snapper in Florida.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts