360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one got some feedback on this rod: St. Croix Premier Saltwater Spinning Rods 7'6" ? Seems like a good long casting rod for GTs & Tunas.

·
2,753 Posts
Okay.
I have that exact rod. The PM76MHF and no, its not made for GT and popping. That rod is a muskie rod more suitible for bottom fishing and wreck fishing.

It won't be wise to throw plugs because of the construction of the rod. Much better off looking at a OTI.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I didn't check whole models of St Croix blanks, but some models are excellent for popping too. I am really happy with some custom jigging rods from St Croix blanks.

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM76MHF?? I'm talking about SWS76MHF I dont know if this is what u mean!

Okay.
I have that exact rod. The PM76MHF and no, its not made for GT and popping. That rod is a muskie rod more suitible for bottom fishing and wreck fishing.

It won't be wise to throw plugs because of the construction of the rod. Much better off looking at a OTI.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I have 4M76XHF and am going to see other models like 4M79HMF, 4M80MHF and 4M86XHF. Those blanks are lighter than Japanese blanks, but strong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm talking about SWS76MHF
Very popular around here for bluefin. The layout of the grips is far superior on the OTI,both casting and fighting,no gimble on a factory St Croix. The St Croix might do a little better casting lures under,say 4 ozs.On a bigger fish that wants to stay down the OTI has way more backbone. Either one is good choice.

·
34 Posts
Ember,

Have you used the St Croix on bluefin tuna? I have the 7' 15-30 lb model and I like them a lot, but a big striper or a big blue fish would be the limit of my rods. I tried a dead lift and 10 lbs or so was all I was comfortable with. I bought a Chaos jig/popping rod that goes for $200 and that could dead lift 22 lbs OK. The Chaos can really bend and still feel like it will stay in one piece.

·
1,386 Posts
I own two SWS70MHF rods which I used last year for popping and vertically jigging RonZs. They are a strong dependable rod, cast 2-5 oz pretty well.

I'm tall, and would have preferred a longer foregrip, also a gimbal. But that said, other than learning technique, I had no problem with several 125#+ BFT.

My rods stood up well and even after a season look new. I will add a couple other rods and reels to the mix but I bet they end up costing twice what the SWS70 cost.

·
1,553 Posts
that is a big difference in the lengths of the fore and rear grips. i dont like fighting fish with the reel that close to my body. ive heard a lot of the florida guys like to use reels close up.

·
34 Posts
I have the SWS70MF St. Croix rod, 15-30 pounds. Nice rod, but not for Tuna. Take a look at Chaos Rods in Florida. They are on the web. They have heavy spinning rods (up to 50 lbs) and jigging/popping rods that are not shown on the web. Their spinning rods are in the $150-200 price range. I bought their 7' 50-80 jigging/popping rod. It really like it and it handled a 22 lb dead lift without breaking a sweat. It is a very nice rod.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I have the SWS70MF St. Croix rod, 15-30 pounds. Nice rod, but not for Tuna. Take a look at Chaos Rods in Florida. They are on the web. They have heavy spinning rods (up to 50 lbs) and jigging/popping rods that are not shown on the web. Their spinning rods are in the $150-200 price range. I bought their 7' 50-80 jigging/popping rod. It really like it and it handled a 22 lb dead lift without breaking a sweat. It is a very nice rod.
100g Jigging Master Power Spell rod has 22 lbs dead lift power. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,784 Posts
I have several of these St. Croix Premier Saltwater rods (over dozen S/C)
and I love them. Biggest fish I've caught on these were 30lb reds
and sharks out of Freeport. I can launch a heavy popper a long way.
I like the fast tip and sensitivity of these graphites.
I find the short handles to be beneficial in a boat setting.
I have a Stella 20KSW on one, just waiting for a test in Venice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts