St. Croix Premier Saltwater Spinning Rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by rebel, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Any one got some feedback on this rod: St. Croix Premier Saltwater Spinning Rods 7'6" ? Seems like a good long casting rod for GTs & Tunas.

2. rebel

rebel Senior Member

I did, the St. Croix 7'6" is lighter, cheaper & almost same strength!

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Okay.
    I have that exact rod. The PM76MHF and no, its not made for GT and popping. That rod is a muskie rod more suitible for bottom fishing and wreck fishing.

It won't be wise to throw plugs because of the construction of the rod. Much better off looking at a OTI.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I didn't check whole models of St Croix blanks, but some models are excellent for popping too. I am really happy with some custom jigging rods from St Croix blanks.

5. rebel

rebel Senior Member

PM76MHF?? I'm talking about SWS76MHF I dont know if this is what u mean!

Okay.
    I have that exact rod. The PM76MHF and no, its not made for GT and popping. That rod is a muskie rod more suitible for bottom fishing and wreck fishing.

It won't be wise to throw plugs because of the construction of the rod. Much better off looking at a OTI.

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Kil could I go through you to get a specific st. croix blank?

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have 4M76XHF and am going to see other models like 4M79HMF, 4M80MHF and 4M86XHF. Those blanks are lighter than Japanese blanks, but strong.

8. ember

ember Guest

I'm talking about SWS76MHF
    Very popular around here for bluefin. The layout of the grips is far superior on the OTI,both casting and fighting,no gimble on a factory St Croix. The St Croix might do a little better casting lures under,say 4 ozs.On a bigger fish that wants to stay down the OTI has way more backbone. Either one is good choice.

9. ember

ember Guest

Some idea of the massive difference in grips,theyre both about the same length overall.

Attached Files:

10. ember

ember Guest

Sorry,that wasnt quite what I had in mind.....better look here...

Attached Files:

11. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

Ember,

Have you used the St Croix on bluefin tuna? I have the 7' 15-30 lb model and I like them a lot, but a big striper or a big blue fish would be the limit of my rods. I tried a dead lift and 10 lbs or so was all I was comfortable with. I bought a Chaos jig/popping rod that goes for $200 and that could dead lift 22 lbs OK. The Chaos can really bend and still feel like it will stay in one piece.

12. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I own two SWS70MHF rods which I used last year for popping and vertically jigging RonZs. They are a strong dependable rod, cast 2-5 oz pretty well.

I'm tall, and would have preferred a longer foregrip, also a gimbal. But that said, other than learning technique, I had no problem with several 125#+ BFT.

My rods stood up well and even after a season look new. I will add a couple other rods and reels to the mix but I bet they end up costing twice what the SWS70 cost.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

that is a big difference in the lengths of the fore and rear grips. i dont like fighting fish with the reel that close to my body. ive heard a lot of the florida guys like to use reels close up.

14. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Is the St Croix one piece?

15. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

I have the SWS70MF St. Croix rod, 15-30 pounds. Nice rod, but not for Tuna. Take a look at Chaos Rods in Florida. They are on the web. They have heavy spinning rods (up to 50 lbs) and jigging/popping rods that are not shown on the web. Their spinning rods are in the $150-200 price range. I bought their 7' 50-80 jigging/popping rod. It really like it and it handled a 22 lb dead lift without breaking a sweat. It is a very nice rod.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have the SWS70MF St. Croix rod, 15-30 pounds. Nice rod, but not for Tuna. Take a look at Chaos Rods in Florida. They are on the web. They have heavy spinning rods (up to 50 lbs) and jigging/popping rods that are not shown on the web. Their spinning rods are in the $150-200 price range. I bought their 7' 50-80 jigging/popping rod. It really like it and it handled a 22 lb dead lift without breaking a sweat. It is a very nice rod.
    100g Jigging Master Power Spell rod has 22 lbs dead lift power. :)

17. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I have several of these St. Croix Premier Saltwater rods (over dozen S/C)
    and I love them. Biggest fish I've caught on these were 30lb reds
    and sharks out of Freeport. I can launch a heavy popper a long way.
    I like the fast tip and sensitivity of these graphites.
    I find the short handles to be beneficial in a boat setting.
    I have a Stella 20KSW on one, just waiting for a test in Venice.