ST-76's!!!!

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Taz575, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

APS finally had them back in stock, so I got 4 boxes. Ordered yesterday afternoon, UPS dropped them off while I was making lunch today! The 3/0's are already out of stock, so get em quick!!

2. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Got a phone number??

Thanks for the info

Jamie

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

WARNING: May cause financial grief if inappropriately used! Use with care!

Angler's Pro Shop

4. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Yup, thats the website! I was shocked to see UPS show up at the house. I ordered them around 3 or 330pm on Weds, they show up Thurs around noon! Those hooks are nice and beefy! I picked up the 400# split rings and the 470# ball bearing swivel with the solid ring for jigs as well! They have a lot of heavy duty stuff for spinning, jigging, popping for Tuna that you don't see many other places!

5. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

These hooks are cool, very strong. They are heavy though, so keep that in mind when guessing lure weights etc. Not such an issue on poppers or pencils, but people that use them on X-Raps etc have had issues with lure tracking.

By the way, I looked at that website....you guys don't seriously buy 50 and 80 dollar poppers do you? that's a complete joke and I hope people don;t waste their money on stuff like that. Buy a 25 dollar popper and send the other 40 or 50 bucks to a lobbyist to keep tuna away from commercial fleets and available only to recreational fishermen for a few years till they bounce back a bit.

6. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Lets see. Over $1000 for a Stella 20,000, $400-$500 for a rod, $130 for line, $100 for split ring pliers, whats $100 on a sweet popper???

Would I buy one? Nope, too expensive right now for me! I'd rather buy 3 or 4 less expensive poppers as long as they are good quality, thru wired, strong hooks, etc. I won't buy stuff just because it's cheap, but I also won't pay that much for a popper....yet! Once I build a nice popping rod, get a Stella, then it's getting tricked out with the goodies, but I gotta have something to use it for first! A $100 popper w/o a rod for it is pointless!

I hear OTI has or is coming out with a popper using the ST-76 hooks, which should work well in the Cape. The tuna up there are frequently straightening the St-66's this year; the 76 is a necessity to land some of the larger tuna. Having gear that can handle the game you are going after is needed and is expensive for the heavier duty stuff.

7. hamptonsurf

Those 66's may get straightened from time to time, but almost undoubtedly by guys fishing 30+ drag....which is crazy drag if you ask me. A 66 should be plenty for 99.9% of fish. Many use lesser hooks without problem.

I do agree, however, that anything more than 30 bucks for a popper is crazy....all the dang thing does is make splash!

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I do agree, however, that anything more than 30 bucks for a popper is crazy....all the dang thing does is make splash!
    When you shop for poppers, $30 for a popper is expensive. But when you see $30 popper gets hit while your popper doesn't, they are not expensive anymore. :) I thought I was crazy to buy a $60 Carpenter lure, but I am shopping for them after I hooked up a nice bft while nobody didn't. :)

I'll have 4/0 ST76 in stock soon, but I am not crazy about selling them as I favor ST66 instead of ST76 though I use ST76 for GT popping

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Those 66's may get straightened from time to time, but almost undoubtedly by guys fishing 30+ drag....which is crazy drag if you ask me. A 66 should be plenty for 99.9% of fish. Many use lesser hooks without problem.

It does more than splash, the volume and direction of water is greatly affected by the design. I will tell you that some $50 dollars poppers like Skagit Pump King's perform much better than $19.99 poppers by design. I have also seen great value poppers like Heru that Kil sells for $25-30 dollars do better than some $100 dollar poppers.

You can make the same argument on stellas versus spheros. Both can get the job done but one will last longer. Personally Im done with the super high end but you need something that will last long as well

10. hamptonsurf

I agree completely. In MOST instances, high end is overpriced (the stellas being one of the few things that is worth it's tag). No matter what you tell me, NO POPPER IS WORTH 75 BUCKS, EVER.....UNLESS IT COMES WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL CATCH FISH AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 20 CASTS, EVEN IF THERE ARE NO FISH IN THE AREA.

I think the OTI poppers are a prime example of HIGH quality with a decently fair price.

11. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

I agree completely. In MOST instances, high end is overpriced (the stellas being one of the few things that is worth it's tag). No matter what you tell me, NO POPPER IS WORTH 75 BUCKS, EVER.....UNLESS IT COMES WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL CATCH FISH AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 20 CASTS, EVEN IF THERE ARE NO FISH IN THE AREA.

I think the OTI poppers are a prime example of HIGH quality with a decently fair price.

Your post doesn't make any sense. How the hell can someone guarantee that you can catch a fish if there is no fish in the area? Why are some expensive popular swim baits or poppers out of stock most of the time?

12. hamptonsurf

it's a joke....means that there is no way anyone should pay that much for lures. people do, nd people will, so I guess that's why it continues to happen. Can't blame the companies for that.

What it boils down to, however, is that there is no reason for a lure to COST that much, no matter how good it is. I bet a 100.00 popper costs 12 bucks to make.