SPOT VS EPIRB

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by BretABaker, Jan 11, 2009.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I came across a discussion on another board about each of these and thought it'd be good here as well. what does everyone have? does everyone know the difference/what they are?

IMO having both is ideal, but the epirb is better if you only get one.

2. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

Bret, are you talking about for use on a private boat or on headboats?

I never gave it much thought on headboats til I went on that trip with the 30 knot blow (the youtube video I posted). I've been in bigger seas, but that was on a guided missile cruiser. When I got back from that trip, my wife said she had a dream that I had fallen overboard, but I was saved by my inflatable suspenders--my wife might as well be a psycic if you believe in that sort of stuff, anyway, she was referring to my sos-spenders that I where on small boats, but I never where a PFD on party boats. Her promonitions got me really worried and I started thinking it might not be a bad idea to take a few precautions while offshore, and not rely soley on the boat and crew if something goes wrong--we all know there are a lot of boats on the bottom out there. Partyboats are pretty cautious with regards to the weather, but anything can happen.

After that trip, I started thinking it might not be a bad idea, and one of those Spots would be handy to have in your pocket as well as a whistle and a signal mirror.

Trying not to be paranoid, or look like a goofball, I never followed through, but I am still thinking about it.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i was mainly talking abt private boats or for guys who own their own boats.

on a party boat ive never been worried abt it but being precautious isnt a bad thing either.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have a spot, got a good deal on it(free). When I sent an alert, it was a generic text on the phones that I have listed. It didnt give the coordinates like its supposed to. There is no way to know if the unit is locked on to the satellites of course neither does a epirb. However a Epirb transmits in MHZ as its primary location instead of satellite only . And you can get a Gps epirb that transmits your location in Lat/Log via the 406 mhz radio.

While the Spot is better than nothing, a good epirb should be a mandatory item on any boat over 26ft.

d-a

5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **