360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try diff spoon techniques for yellowfin? Was thinking of trying something diff by attaching a 4-5 inch silver spoon with about 6ft of flouro behind an egg weight. It could be trolled or dropped down and jigged. Possibly cast depending on leader length. Thought the light fluttering action may work better than a heavy jig but you would need the weight to get it down or make long cast.

·
Banned
588 Posts
They have worked in the canyons up here in the northeast but they sink slowly which can limit its effectiveness to get deep in a fast current. We just use the large krocodile spoons with an appropriate treble. I think they would work well for bft too, even huge ones, especially when they're feeding herring. The spoons create a big flash in the water so I imagine fish that hit jigs would go for them. I've caught longfin on one.

Angelo

·
66 Posts
Yep they definitely work. I've caught yellowfin (and bluefin) on 3-4inch clark spoons on 50-60lb fluoro trolled about 15-20ft behind a drail weight during the day when the fish wouldn't hit surface baits.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep they definitely work. I've caught yellowfin (and bluefin) on 3-4inch clark spoons on 50-60lb fluoro trolled about 15-20ft behind a drail weight during the day when the fish wouldn't hit surface baits.

What exactly is a drail weight? I was at FTU Sat looking for a torpedo style weight but all they had was ones with wire and not a hole. Are most of these weights threw wired or would I be worried about a cheap designed weight messing up a fishing trip? Thanks!

·
18 Posts
Clark Spoons work great for Longfin, YFT, and small BFT trolled on a Planer deep.....you do catch alot more Skippies and Bonita's though when using these spoons....bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts