360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently spooling a Talica 12. As many, trying to fit as much braid as possible, while fishing as light as possible.

I have this idea...
If Hollow braid (lets say a JB #80) can create almost a 100% connection from the hollow to the topshot (lest say an 80lb Momoi), but around 25% capacity is lost in the reel if we compare the JB Hollow #80 to a Solid Varibas or Daiwa PE5 (which are also rated 80lb)...

What if I spool the first 600yds with a solid PE5, then connect to about 6 or 7 yards of JB#80 and then to 100yds of the #80 topshot? Do you think I could get away with a 700yds 80lb line?

=)

·
5,706 Posts
I wouldn't go with the hollow - solid braid insertion, particularly if repetitive casting/jigging.
I would use a knot, & if using a knot , I would ditch the hollow & run solid to leader with an FG.
Keeping it simple & reliable.........the weakness in your proposal is the solid-hollow join........in particular the tag of the hollow over the solid.

·
776 Posts
If Hollow braid (lets say a JB #80) can create almost a 100% connection from the hollow to the topshot (lest say an 80lb Momoi), but around 25% capacity is lost in the reel if we compare the JB Hollow #80 to a Solid Varibas or Daiwa PE5 (which are also rated 80lb)...
Why do you think you will lose 25% capacity with hollow braid? That is not my experience at all. In fact, some people claim to get a greater capacity with hollow, due to the way it lays flatter on a reel.

·
5,706 Posts
Depends on the quality of the braid fibre used.
agree low quality solid can be thicker than a high quality hollow of the same TRUE UTS.
BUT
same quality fibre solid & same UTS solid is thinner & packs more than hollow.

Comparing just branded BS is an invalid reliable comparison as actual UTS can be very different to the claimed BS on the lable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got the solution and wanted to share... Just used it the other day and work 100% test streght perfectly.

1. Braid backing PE5 80# with a bimini twist double line
2. Connection to 5ft. Dacron 80#... Dacron loop to connect w/ braid double line, and use a 5 ft insert of #80 mono to connect the Monofilament top shot (finish with some dental floss to secure the connection)
3. #80 Mono top shot

works perfect... 100% connection, lots of capacity, no digging into the braid...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts