Spooling idea with hollow braid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by JOSE VALLARINO, Mar 5, 2019.

1. JOSE VALLARINO

JOSE VALLARINO Member

Im currently spooling a Talica 12. As many, trying to fit as much braid as possible, while fishing as light as possible.

I have this idea...
    If Hollow braid (lets say a JB #80) can create almost a 100% connection from the hollow to the topshot (lest say an 80lb Momoi), but around 25% capacity is lost in the reel if we compare the JB Hollow #80 to a Solid Varibas or Daiwa PE5 (which are also rated 80lb)...

What if I spool the first 600yds with a solid PE5, then connect to about 6 or 7 yards of JB#80 and then to 100yds of the #80 topshot? Do you think I could get away with a 700yds 80lb line?

=)

Gonefishings likes this.
  2. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

I wouldn't go with the hollow - solid braid insertion, particularly if repetitive casting/jigging.
    I would use a knot, & if using a knot , I would ditch the hollow & run solid to leader with an FG.
    Keeping it simple & reliable.........the weakness in your proposal is the solid-hollow join........in particular the tag of the hollow over the solid.

SkipWack and Cubeye like this.

3. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

Why do you think you will lose 25% capacity with hollow braid? That is not my experience at all. In fact, some people claim to get a greater capacity with hollow, due to the way it lays flatter on a reel.

4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Depends on the quality of the braid fibre used.
    agree low quality solid can be thicker than a high quality hollow of the same TRUE UTS.
    BUT
    same quality fibre solid & same UTS solid is thinner & packs more than hollow.

Comparing just branded BS is an invalid reliable comparison as actual UTS can be very different to the claimed BS on the lable.

5. JOSE VALLARINO

JOSE VALLARINO Member

I just got the solution and wanted to share... Just used it the other day and work 100% test streght perfectly.

1. Braid backing PE5 80# with a bimini twist double line
    2. Connection to 5ft. Dacron 80#... Dacron loop to connect w/ braid double line, and use a 5 ft insert of #80 mono to connect the Monofilament top shot (finish with some dental floss to secure the connection)
    3. #80 Mono top shot

works perfect... 100% connection, lots of capacity, no digging into the braid...

backfisher likes this.