Spooling a spin with braid?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by tracker12, Jun 16, 2008.

1. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

I picked up a stradic 8000 and want to spool it with a braid. Never did a reel for bigger game. How do you all spool it. I want to use 50# braid and a 10 yard top shot. Do you all do it youself or take it to a shop.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

have someone hold the spool of line and crank it in tight. if you press it and it's soft whoever is holding the line needs to apply more pressure. when you touch the line you put on it should be hard.

3. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I've used my Berkley HD-II line winder which obviously works fine, as well as a method I find works as well or better:

1. coat new spool with light amount of lubricant (Superlube, Boeshield, etc)
    2. wipe off lubricant with clean cloth
    3. mount reel on shortest spinning rod you have
    4. thread 20# mono line through guides and load on 5 yards (braid can spin on spool, mono won't)
    5. attach braid to mono via knot of your choice
    6. get the longest screw driver you own and a thick rag
    7. stick screw driver through spool of braid, forming a axle and lay spool on rag
    8. take off your shoes
    9. put one foot on each end of screw driver with spool of braid in the middle
    10. tighten drag on reel fairly tight
    11. wear fighting belt (or try it without and get back to me on that later ;) )
    12. press down with feet and crank until your arms wear out....and they will! If you don't smell burning plastic from the braid spool against the rag, you probably aren't pressing down hard enough with your feet.

It's worked like a charm for me on everything from little 2000 size spinners to Stella 20,000's :)

4. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Sounds like a really good method. I recently bought a Baja Special and whgen the guy spooled it he frst wrapped the spool with that spongie type bandage wrap to prevent the line from spinning. Thnaks.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have been using Hatidua's method for quite a while--I invented it indepently of hatidua :) and call it my "redneck" method. Being barefoot is extremely important--with shoes, you can't feel how much pressure you are or are not putting on the spool. The great thing about it is that the friction (which is important to the tightness of the line on the spool) is all between the edges of the spool and the rag--not on the line, where the heat will spoil the Spectra.

Also, if you take along your spare spools, a dowel rod (see below) and your towel or rag, you can easily spool line on board if the seas are not too rough.

A couple of variations which I find important:

1. If you are at home, do this on a medium to thin carpet--it increases the smoothness of the "drag" you are putting on the line spool with your feet. But in this case, the rag is all-important--otherwise you may put dye or burn stains on the carpet and your wife will kill you.

2. Use a wooden dowel instead of the screwdriver--it is easier on your bare feet. I use a wooden salad-serving spoon. Breakage at high pressure is not an issue if you hold your feet fairly close to the spool.

3. When you are spooling a spinner, have the line come off the top of the spool. When spooling a conventional, have it come off the bottom. I have no idea where I read this, but I have spooled many, many reels this way with no line twist.

4. With a spinner, make sure your drag is tight enough it does not ever spin while you are spooling, otherwise, it is just like reeling while a fish is taking drag--it will introduce line twist onto your spool.

5. Hatidua is correct about it putting some pressure on your shoulders and back. Take frequent breaks.

Russ

6. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

1. If you are at home, do this on a medium to thin carpet--it increases the smoothness of the "drag" you are putting on the line spool with your feet. But in this case, the rag is all-important--otherwise you may put dye or burn stains on the carpet and your wife will kill you.

ah yes, the two parallel dark lines created by the spinning spool of braid....been there, done it :eek:

7. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

And lived to tell about it! :)

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i wrap the spool with electrical tape first, tied a uni knot and spooled tight. normally i have someone else hold the spool with the dowel, just makes it easier.

havent had problems to date.

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Mark: You just move an easy chair or the couch over the ruined rug and tell your wife you have developed an interest in decorating.

Bret: Jerry Brown cured me of feeling the need for tape or any underpinning. What he recommends is just tying the line onto the spool with whatever knot you like best, then stretching the line across the spool and taking a couple of tight turns around at a 90 degree angle and you're good to go. But the tape is good too.

Russ

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

UR - ironically, I'm using JB on those reels :)

I didn't do it before, and didn't have a problem. But I did this past time and it'sworked alright thus far. hopefully I won't need to respool anytime soon!

11. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

and I thought I was the only one who used the "redneck" method for
    loading spools under drag! little hint- DON'T try this on your wife's new carpet!!!!
    I actually graduated to putting my screwdriver in a vice w/ an old spark
    plug boot installed between the spool & vice for proper drag adjustments.
    seems to work better(wife is hitting me less often)!
    Like Mark sez, wear a belt or something, cause it's just like reeling
    against 20# of drag. I also wet the spectra before spooling it, helps it get tighter.
    I actually have a "rod" that I use. it's a broke-in-half old Daiwa that
    seats all my offshore reels & has only 2 guides on it.
    hope this helps
    tight lines
    -Brian

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You guys are bunch of hillbilly carpet staining rednecks. :)

I've been using the device in the below picture for a couple of years. I clamp it to a table and sit in a portable folding stainless fighting chair with a gimbal from Boaters World. You can adjust the tension via a spring loaded drag. Sometimes it tightens itself as you spool. You can drag a three hundred pound table towards the fighting chair.:eek: That's when you get up and readjust the tension. (I've broken 80lb mono when the table moves) You can mount up to 5 pounds spools on it.

Attached Files:

13. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

You guys are bunch of hillbilly carpet staining rednecks. :)

where did that there fancy device come from? (the one with the line on it, not the rubber chinese shoes).

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

mr bill - why am i not surprised you have some gadget to do this lol :)

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: How do you fit that portable fighting chair in that sorry, cheap single-wide of yours??? I'll swear to it: If one of us came up with a way to make a perfect copy of Michaelangelo's David, in pure Carrera marble, MrBill would post a picture of one he made in the third grade--in candy apple red, with lightning shooting out its ass! :)

Russ

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

where did that there fancy device come from? (the one with the line on it, not the rubber chinese shoes).

I bought it on ebay. I think this is the same guy in the link below. Looks like he made some adjustments to the one I bought a couple years ago. I've spooled about a hundred reels with it and it's still going strong.

I didn't mean to put up that picture of my wore out crocks vs new ones.:D
    I took the crock picture to enter a contest of the most wore out crocks. I still wear those green ones without any tread. They are my go to comfortable shoe.:)

LINE WIZZARD FISHING SPOOLER STREN BERKLEY PENN YOZURI - eBay (item 190230267067 end time Jun-23-08 13:42:19 PDT)

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

MrBill: How do you fit that portable fighting chair in that sorry, cheap single-wide of yours???
    Russ

Your memory is going south. It's a double wide.:D

18. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Great ideas. Thanks. I like that tool. Might just pick one of those things up.

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill:It's been going south a long, long time--almost to the south pole. You know, that really isn't a bad price for that sucker. I may have to have one as well.

Russ

20. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

MrBill:It's been going south a long, long time--almost to the south pole. You know, that really isn't a bad price for that sucker. I may have to have one as well.

Russ

monkey-see, monkey-do......I just bought one of those devices off eBay in order to extend the life of my heavy-duty $1.99 screw driver for purposes other than spooling reels.

Uncle Russ, if you get one, you can return the wooden pasta spoon to the kitchen! ;)