I decided that I would make a non-slip connection to the spool of my spinning reel by inserting a few feet of mono into the end of JB hollow 80# and then tie the mono to the spool. Ten wraps of mono or so around the spool worked great and the splice was tested to full load. It was all tied and wrapped carefully around the spool. Next I put an end-loop in the hollow and tested to 65# to see if it would slip. It did not, but the spectra ripped apart a few inches into the splice, feet away from the serve! Figuring I made a mistake, I did it all over again, tested and loaded everything carefully, same result. What seems to be happening is, as the spectra/mono portion wraps around the spool, the inside of wrap around the spool is squeezed between the spool and mono inside the splice and the load is transferred to the outside of the turn--stress concentration. So I went back to the drawing board, wrapped a few turns of spectra, tied a uni, left a long tag and wrapped the first twenty turns tightly--just the way the Jerry Brown instructions say to in other words. I loaded it to 65 pounds and it does not slip, just as JB predicted. Photo of the failure below.