Spooling, A Not So Clever Idea

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Mar 11, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I decided that I would make a non-slip connection to the spool of my spinning reel by inserting a few feet of mono into the end of JB hollow 80# and then tie the mono to the spool. Ten wraps of mono or so around the spool worked great and the splice was tested to full load.

It was all tied and wrapped carefully around the spool. Next I put an end-loop in the hollow and tested to 65# to see if it would slip. It did not, but the spectra ripped apart a few inches into the splice, feet away from the serve! Figuring I made a mistake, I did it all over again, tested and loaded everything carefully, same result.

What seems to be happening is, as the spectra/mono portion wraps around the spool, the inside of wrap around the spool is squeezed between the spool and mono inside the splice and the load is transferred to the outside of the turn--stress concentration.

So I went back to the drawing board, wrapped a few turns of spectra, tied a uni, left a long tag and wrapped the first twenty turns tightly--just the way the Jerry Brown instructions say to in other words. I loaded it to 65 pounds and it does not slip, just as JB predicted.

Photo of the failure below.

Attached Files:

2. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I always use backer with my braids, never mono.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i just put a little bit of electrical tape on, then tie the braid over it. the tape grabs the line as you spool it. no problems thus far.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

i just put a little bit of electrical tape on, then tie the braid over it. the tape grabs the line as you spool it. no problems thus far.

I don't even wrap tape if you spooling with a machine you don't need to if you want to use electrical tape

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive never spooled a spinner with a machine.......i dont even wrap the tape...jsut put a small piece. really just to grip the line, though i actually dont think this is necessary either. i spooled my 8000 without any tape as i ran out, and its worked fine so i agree its not needed from what ive seen.

how did you spool a spinner with a machine?

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

we spooled a couple reels this weekend.

i was shocked that I was able to get 360 yds of OTI 120lb on a Trinidad 40! I thought we may be lucky to get 300, but we packed that thing tight and got a solid 360. the OTI 120lb looks/feels thinner to me than JB 100lb.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that link didnt work for me, but ill google it to check it out. thanks!

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

good deal. as long as i have someone else I don't mind it too much. anyone can keep the spool tight, even girlfriends. though, they dont find it as exciting as I do. just cant spool braid solo without the machine (or at least i havent found a way).

9. gman

gman Senior Member

actually all stellas come with that tape around the spool which is there to hold braid in place ... little know fact

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

actually all stellas come with that tape around the spool which is there to hold braid in place ... little know fact

yeah good point. unfortunatley, the guy i just got a virtually-new 20k FA from spooled it with 30lb mono so the tape was gone :(

11. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I didnt catch that one...... I thought it was just a fancy display tape. I took it off before spooling up. I have always tied braid straight to the spool anyway and never had a problem.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you want I can spool it for you ( have HD line winder ) you would need to ship it

thanks for the offer i'll let you know. i think i can get someone to just hold the spool and apply tension, but if not ill let you know :)

13. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I didnt catch that one...... I thought it was just a fancy display tape. I took it off before spooling up. I have always tied braid straight to the spool anyway and never had a problem.

gman wasn't referring to the label on the spool on brand new stellas. He was referring to these 1 inch silver strips in the box, take a look again and you will see them.

14. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Gotcha, I was scratching my head thinking about that plastic fancy label holding the line on....

15. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

yeah good point. unfortunatley, the guy i just got a virtually-new 20k FA from spooled it with 30lb mono so the tape was gone :(

Mine was a NIB 20K FA. No tape. I believe it started with the SW. Spooled per the JB instructions. It will not move.

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I usually will place a few turns of 15 pound mono and tie a uni to uni with the spectra. I do this to prevent slip, and if a fish ever spools me, then they can go free. I just prefer snapping 15 pound over 65-130 spectra. It may save an eye and back as I theorize the force of breakage will be much less.

17. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Myth Busting: The truth about line slipping on the spool.

Many mistakenly believe that Spectra® fishing line will slip on the spool unless you take draconian measures to prevent it. Experience has clearly shown that putting on several layers of mono, dacron or duct tape is totally unnecessary. This practice is not recommended to solve a problem that does not even exist. Braided line grips the spool much like tread on a tire grips the road better than a smooth one with an infinitely small contact area.

Before you start spooling a reel, pass the line around the arbor twice and form a good knot such as the Berkley Trilene knot. Cinch it tightly on one side of the spool leaving a long tag end to be laid across the arbor. Spool the first full layer of Spectra® onto the spool in a close side-by-side fashion under tension of 6-8 pounds over the tag end. If this is done, the line will not slip! No exceptions have been reported but try pulling on it at this point if you have any doubts. When convinced, you might tell a friend that it works.

Continue filling the spool under tension without any exaggerated crisscrossing. Tension about 1/2 the drag pressure expected may be appropriate when spooling heavy- duty line. Exaggerated crisscrossing creates open space in the spool which may invite the subsequent layer to dig in. In any case, crisscrossing is a one-time-event because you would not attempt exaggerated crisscrossing when fighting a fish because to do so would give the fish the opportunity to shake the hook. Actually, even if you think you are laying the line tightly under tension in a close side-by-side fashion, it is likely that you can’t see that you are crossing several wraps every turn because the line is so small diameter.

Some believe that Spectra® should be spooled on wet. This is not needed, but if it makes you happy, OK. The main concern with wet spooling is that often insufficient tension is applied. Fresh water causes no problems, but I would not use sea water which has about 3.5% salt (about 1/3 pound per gallon). Salt causes spool erosion. You would be saturating the line with salt all the way down to the bottom of the spool to start trouble later.

18. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Interesting. I never thought about this much.

For a spinning reel, I just tie a loop. Pick your loop knot, but a bowline is hard to beat for this.

Run the line back through the loop, forming another loop, and drop it over the spool with the bail open. Note that there are two ways you can drop it over; one will self-tighten and one wont.

Pull it tight in the direction of rotation of the bail and make a few wraps. If it slips, you put it on the wrong way. When you have it right, close the bail, put all the tension on it you can crank, and fill 'er up. It won't slip.

F

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Myth Busting: The truth about line slipping on the spool.

Many mistakenly believe that Spectra® fishing line will slip on the spool unless you take draconian measures to prevent it. Experience has clearly shown that putting on several layers of mono, dacron or duct tape is totally unnecessary. This practice is not recommended to solve a problem that does not even exist. Braided line grips the spool much like tread on a tire grips the road better than a smooth one with an infinitely small contact area.

Before you start spooling a reel, pass the line around the arbor twice and form a good knot such as the Berkley Trilene knot. Cinch it tightly on one side of the spool leaving a long tag end to be laid across the arbor. Spool the first full layer of Spectra® onto the spool in a close side-by-side fashion under tension of 6-8 pounds over the tag end. If this is done, the line will not slip! No exceptions have been reported but try pulling on it at this point if you have any doubts. When convinced, you might tell a friend that it works.

Continue filling the spool under tension without any exaggerated crisscrossing. Tension about 1/2 the drag pressure expected may be appropriate when spooling heavy- duty line. Exaggerated crisscrossing creates open space in the spool which may invite the subsequent layer to dig in. In any case, crisscrossing is a one-time-event because you would not attempt exaggerated crisscrossing when fighting a fish because to do so would give the fish the opportunity to shake the hook. Actually, even if you think you are laying the line tightly under tension in a close side-by-side fashion, it is likely that you can’t see that you are crossing several wraps every turn because the line is so small diameter.

Some believe that Spectra® should be spooled on wet. This is not needed, but if it makes you happy, OK. The main concern with wet spooling is that often insufficient tension is applied. Fresh water causes no problems, but I would not use sea water which has about 3.5% salt (about 1/3 pound per gallon). Salt causes spool erosion. You would be saturating the line with salt all the way down to the bottom of the spool to start trouble later.

thanks, basil!

20. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

How to from the MASTER himself