Split Ring Pliers

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Observer, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Observer

Observer Member

Have heard of both Texas Tackle and hPa as being the "gold standards".

Ran across one from Palmarius that looks a lot like the hPa. Anyone know how these are different?

2. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Your best bet is PM Dan “Boston Tangler“ here on 360. He is a shop owner that sells both HPA and palmarius

Benny

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Feldguy likes this.

3. Isladude

Isladude Active Member

I just purchased Texas Tackle's Spit Ring Pliers, in both Large and Heavy-duty sizes, and couldn't be more pleased with their design and quality! The ring-opening wedge design effortlessly opens the ring and does not slide closed when inserting a solid ring. Regular split ring pliers put too much horizontal pressure on the hinge, causing the pliers to fail (Picture 1 + 2). I would recommend the heavy-duty pliers (Picture 4) over the large pliers (Picture 3) since they open the rings wider. I was going through a pair of $25 split ring pliers every 2-months. Texas Tackle hit a home run with these pliers, I highly recommend them!! I do not sell or profit from the sale of this product. Steve

Attached Files:

4. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I own the same Texas Tackle pliers. They're inexpensive and they work and that's what I want from my equipment. Priority #1 is that my equipment works, after that it's usually a combo of price and quality and the Texas Tackle split ring pliers check these 3 boxes for me.

Isladude likes this.
  5. JPB

JPB Member

Try the Owner GP2-60(#7 to #11) OR GP2-50(small split rings). These are the best split ring pliers I have used.

Cubeye and jon holsenbeck like this.
  6. Observer

Observer Member

Lots of good options.

Many seem to suggest having a couple of pairs to handle different sizes as there isn't a good "one-size-fit-all" solution, and everyone's needs may be different with the sizes they use/need and/or prices they're willing to pay.

I was mostly interested in the hPa because it is claimed to handle the "larger" size rings and the Owner Ultras, which apparently are much heavier gauge wire. In my research, I came across the Palmarius, which appeared very similar, and I was just posting to see if anyone had any experience between these two.

My intention was to pick up a medium size Texas Tackle plier and a hPa, but when I saw the Palmarius, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that the hPa didn't offer. That's all.

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  7. JPB

JPB Member

I have the HPA pliers but they didn't work on the Owner Ultras. The Owner pliers were designed to open Ower Ultras split rings. Also the Owner pliers are cheaper than the HPA, at least were I bought them.

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  8. Observer

Observer Member

Interesting. Could you explain a bit more about your experience? When you say it didn't work, are you saying the tool didn't fit, or it required too much force or ....??

I'm confused because I have seen photos of Owner Ultras inside of an hPA that was open wide and spoken to people who said the hPa were the only ones that would work on the Owner Ultras.

Cubeye and Shewillbemine like this.
  9. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine New Member

I actually own a pair of HPA Pliers. They absolutely work on Owner Ultra Split Rings and is the actual reason I purchased them. I'm not sure why the other member says they didn't work. Pics would be nice.

10. JPB

JPB Member

Yes a pHa will open a Owner Ultra but not wide enough to slide in an 9/0 Owner X4 Single Replacement Hook or the 10/0 or larger single hooks used on flat fall jigs. See the pictures below.

Attached Files:

Observer and Cubeye like this.
  11. mat

mat Junior member

I have one that look like this. It's total crap!

12. Observer

Observer Member

Wow!

This thread definitely evolved from what I had originally intentioned.

I thought I had my mind made in terms of getting a couple of pliers (one from Texas Tackle and the other from hPA), but that PitBull and Owner plier (especially with the photo showing the difference between the hPA) is new information and is making me re-think things. Hate to "re-invent" the wheel, and appreciate the help from those that have been there and done that, so I don't waste time/money.

Thanks Guys.

Cubeye likes this.
  13. FalconerRods

FalconerRods Junior member

Had to jump in and give my $0.02 because I've done this rodeo for the last three years. Keep in mind that the HPA has two sizes - like a SeaBass and a Big Game. The Big Game is awesome for popping but WAY too big for SPJ. The Big Game size is what Palmarius sells. Great pair for pliers but way too big for SPJ.

The SeaBass size I bought at Benny Ortiz's recommendation and they are in fact my favorite when on the boat. They are awesome...totally worth the money. But they have gotten impossible to find - you basically have to order them from France. They are the finest I have ever owned or used...3 years in service with nary a spot of rust.

The Texas Tackle pliers are a dependable old standby. They are relatively cheap...they resist corrosion well if you wash and lube them after every few trips. The problem is that they fit a relatively narrow range of sizes. For SPJ I think you need the ones with the Chartreuse handles (I think these are the Large) and they don't come readily equipped for a tether. And they don't really fit in a holster well. And they wear over time. I haven't worn a pair out yet but I'm on the way. You get what you pay for.

The Pitbull tackle are relatively new to me...bought them maybe 4 months ago? Anyway, they are a knock off of the Halco split ring pliers. To be clear, I LOVE this style of split ring plier. They work with a wide range of sizes and are literally effortless. Based on the style of the jaws, they are also very hard to damage a split ring with (whereas you can easily mangle even a high quality split ring with the Big Game pliers from HPA or Palmarius).

The downside is that they are basically a bench tool. The size of them (tiny) and their very sharp points make them impossible to manage in and out of a sheath and you can actually stab yourself pretty badly on a pitching boat (ask me how I know). The Pitbull cost a lot less than the Halco version (which I believe to be the original in this design). Both work really, really well with a very wide range of split ring sizes.

So, at risk of sounding like a tackle salesman I'd recommend a pair of HPA Sea Bass in a sheath with a lanyard/keeper on the boat and a pair of Halcos/Pitbull for your bench. That's what works for me at least. Hope this helps!

14. mag0121

mag0121 New Member

After trying many of what have been listed here, I landed on the Shimano Power Pliers (both the 7" and 6") and have found them to be hands down the best option for rigging everything from small SPJ jigs to larger flat falls and Yummee Flyer rigs for giant bluefin. I'm not typically a Shimano guy, but these won me over.

15. JPB

JPB Member

16. JPB

JPB Member

I tried the Shimano pliers and for large heavy split rings they do not open as wide as the Owner pliers