Split ring pliers?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tnhunter, May 15, 2009.

1. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

Is their anyone in the US that carries DUO split ring pliers. I need a top shelf pair of pliers and like the looks of them.
    Thanks-Chris

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Why do u wanna pay $80-$90 for the DUO brand? Get the Braid ones instead, it's the same damn thing for $30...

Braid Fishing Tools

If you want some real top shelf pliers, the OR ones are hard to beat and they are super pimp. I've got a pair myself, VERY nice and opens very large rings like a champ!

Angler's Pro Shop

3. Milton

Milton Senior Member

OR pliers looks good, uses good. buy good one, buy it one time.

4. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Braid works perfect for $30 ,you can not beat that

5. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

calcutta pliers do the job for me.

approx. $10...

Attached Files:

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Yes, they all do the job, except some pliers do a *better* job... :D

The OR pliers are VERY good at opening those really thick split rings used in GT/Tuna fishing, like ones from Smith. I have the Braid ones too, but the teeth are too small to be effective with the super heavy duty split rings, but the OR pliers take care of'em like a champ. I say get a nice pair that will last you a long time to come based on your budget.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Duel split ring plier is very nice. Guys who use OR split plier praise it.
    I'll carry them at my shop.
    But, I have been looking for a handy, small and quality split ring plier as I like to put a small split plier along with a few split rings in my pocket to fish around when it is inconvenient to bring a big tackle box whereever I move.
    So, on most trips, I bring a heavy duty split ring plier like Duel's and a small handy split pliers.
    After extensive research, I finally decided to carry Texas Tackl's SSplit Ring Plier for my shop.

There are two sizes of SSplit Ring Pliers. Small one is good for upto #4 or #5size split ring and "Large" Ssplit ring should be used for offshore saltwater applications.

Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/split-ring-tools-2332/

Posted last year.
    I have since used the Texas Tackle large size and they are fine.

I still am leaving pryers behind on Bizz trips then wind up with spare time
    and a new lure or jig I want to re rig. I had to make some a few weeks ago
    from needle nose pliers and jewlers files..
    I need to keep some in my shaving kit I guess.

Kev

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

So for size #11 split rings, the choice is Owner PG60 or Ocean Revolution??

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I've got the Owners. Im not sure what model it is, but they open the biggest split rings ive found. theyre not the fanciest thing in the world.......but we're just talking about opening a split ring, i dont think its that critical.

as far as the "PE cutter" on all these pliers....IMO this really isnt a key selling point. I don't cut braid too often on the boat....and the $4 pair of scissors work just as well IMO.

also - the cutters on many of these pliers rust. obviously you should wash everything off and i even spray mine really quick with corrosion x - but dont think that just because you spend tons of money on split ring pliers, they wont rust ;)

11. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i have the shimano Baysteel ones and they open owner 11 split rings easy. cool tool too.

12. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

Thanks Guys I ordered a set of texas tackle pliers (large) and tried to order a pair of OR pliers. no answer will try again on monday. Thanks a bunch for all the feedback!!!!
    Chris Taylor

13. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Good thread. I just ordered a set of the Texas Tackle pliers.

BTW, I'm having good luck with Owner Solid Rings and Mono. Using a three turn Uni on 100#--pulls up real good. No damage to the mono.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here is a size comparison of "large" SSplit ring plier and regular plier.
    The large SSplit plier can open any split ring, but it doesn't mean you can insert any hooks into split rings. :) I discussed with the owner of Ssplit plier to make special split rings with bigger jaws, but I don't think it happens soon.

[​IMG]

15. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

Hello Kil,
    I did not know you had the texas tackle pliers or I would have ordered them from you. Those accurate pliers, do you have the split ring inserts for them?
    Thanks Chris Taylor

16. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hello Kil,
    I did not know you had the texas tackle pliers or I would have ordered them from you. Those accurate pliers, do you have the split ring inserts for them?
    Thanks Chris Taylor

Same here, I didn't realize you had them already, looks like a lot of boxes in the background. You must be pretty busy with the store.

17. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Same here, I didn't realize you had them already, looks like a lot of boxes in the background. You must be pretty busy with the store.
    We are on the same boat looking for the best products available. :)
    When I decided to open my shop, I set my goal as to shop for other fishermen and my goal is partially accomplished if fishermen buy products I recommend even they don't buy them from me. :)

Friday was crazy day. 200 rod tube came Friday morning which was scheduled to come on next Monday. They just dropped the tubes in front of the building and I had to move them to my shop. :confused: Then Jigging Master shipment arrived while I was moving tubes. :eek:
    Yesterday was a gorgeous day and fluke season just opened, but I had to work all day for the shop until 11:00 pm. But I am very happy to see one wall of my toy shop is finally filled with jigs completely.

I finally got Jigging Mater's Ailen jigs which are famous for AJ.
    [​IMG]

19. DanS

DanS Senior Member

The large SSplit plier can open any split ring, but it doesn't mean you can insert any hooks into split rings.

The same is true with the Shimano Baysteel, which I own. I can open a #11, but not wide enough to insert a #9 hook.