Split grip and rod holders

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Wachtel, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

I'm a bit surprised that so many jigging and popping rods have split grips. When speeding to the fishing sites we always have all rods in rod holders and after a few trips you can see some wear on the backgrip from the rod holders "lip".

I imagine that a split grip could be more damaged (coating, bindings etc) over time, than one with a full handle.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I'm a bit surprised that so many jigging and popping rods have split grips. When speeding to the fishing sites we always have all rods in rod holders and after a few trips you can see some wear on the backgrip from the rod holders "lip".

I imagine that a split grip could be more damaged (coating, bindings etc) over time, than one with a full handle.

Your rod holders on the boat should have rubber inserts to protect from damage. You can also put pipe insulation on the rod over the split grip for extra protection

d-a

3. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

We usually rent boats at our destination so can't do much modification. I've used tape once in the past for a split grip catfish rod I used on a trip to Egypt for Nile Perch.

But I can't see the advantage with a split grip rod for popping or jigging. Is it not just a trend?

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

We usually rent boats at our destination so can't do much modification. I've used tape once in the past for a split grip catfish rod I used on a trip to Egypt for Nile Perch.

But I can't see the advantage with a split grip rod for popping or jigging. Is it not just a trend?

The advantage is a lighter weight rod, and i dont think its a trend.

d-a

5. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

But the weight reduction must be low, and almost negligible when related to a heavy rod. Still, there are many rods with full grips so the choice is there.

6. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

The advantage is a lighter weight rod, and i dont think its a trend.

d-a
    Splitt grip is slightly lighter, not really enough to totaoly notice a difference in weight. I don't typically care for splitt grips on my spinning gear, I do like it on my conventional gear though. I find that I can tuck it up under my arm a little more comfortably when using conventional.
    I wonder if you can use a peice of EVA to kind of pop on and off when in a rod holder?

7. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Ethylene-vinyl acetate..

Where and in what form do you buy it?

Appears to be something similar to the soft pipe insulation you buy to keep water pipes from freezing, or on your central a/c lines to your condenser. Is that correct?

8. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Talk to Paul at JPR rods, I'm sure he can get it for you. EVA is a commonly used material for rod grips. It's going to be a little bid more dense than pipe insulation and you should be able to match the color/diameter of your current grip. I have'nt done this yet, just an idea right now, I'm kinda thinking if you cut a slit on one side of it it should pop on and off kinda like nerf tubing, I'm going to try it with my next rod build.

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

10. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

split grips is trendy. the asian market started it on their tuna stuff. the fw market has been doing it for years.

as for weight, it makes little to no difference. we're talking eva or hypalon usually. eva you may notice with the grips in your hands, but not on the rod. eva, you will not notice.

11. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Split Grip is more for casting , be it spinning or baitcasting , to reduce weight of the rod but some rod builders take it a bit far by using it in popping n jigging which in my opinion is just fashion . :rolleyes:

I have seen a broken rod at the split grip when a jigging rod was used as trolling rod and placed in a conventional rod holder , the impact of a strike from using braided line was just too much and the rod broke at that place where the butt has no protection from EVA grip . :eek:

Although I have a couple of split grip rods but they are all freshwater spinning n baitcasting rods , all of my popping rods have EVA covered butt grip .

Jon .