splicing spectra

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by 2busy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

What is the secret to get that needle from hanging up or exiting the spectra prematurly? I've never tried it but my buddy is having a hard time . he is 60 miles away so it is hard for me to see what is happening. Says he can only get the needle about 1 1/2 in inside before problems arise.

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Start with wet spectra.
    Feed the spectra onto the needle while holding vertically

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

That's pretty ingenious, Jerry. I'll have to give that a try.

4. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

What is the secret to get that needle from hanging up or exiting the spectra prematurly? I've never tried it but my buddy is having a hard time . he is 60 miles away so it is hard for me to see what is happening. Says he can only get the needle about 1 1/2 in inside before problems arise.

Some other possibilities--
    0. Double check to see that you aren't using solid spectra. It has happened.
    1. Use new spectra. Older,used line is often twisted and the twist pinches the cavity of hollow spectra, forcing the needle or wire loop out. if you cannot use new, then try to untwist it.
    2. Forget needles and use a doubled length of SS wire (43# works well for 80;you may want lighter wire for 60 or 65#).
    3. Expect that 130# will be harder to handle than 80# (larger holes in the weave).

5. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

I'll relay the info. it is new izor brand and 135lb. trying to get 80lb big game inside.

what would be a dead give a way if it was soild. like i said earlier he is 60 miles away and i havnt seen the line.

6. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

I'll relay the info. it is new izor brand and 135lb. . . .

Your report your friend managed to get the needle only 1.5 inches thru the line led me to consider he was dealing with solid core line. I spent several discouraging hours with some 80# one time before realizing I had grabbed a piece of solid core line.

But, assuming it's hollow core line, I've been told Izor's weave uses--or did at one time--fewer but fatter bundles of spectra fibers than some others such as JB Line One. Fewer bundles means the "windows" in the weave thru which the needle can escape the cavity are larger. This accentuates the greater difficulty of splicing 130 over splicing 80.

7. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Jep is correct. Use the doubled wire pullers instead of the needles. Not sure if you are speaking of latch needles when you write needles. Latch needles are tough to use. Izor 130 is hollow so you should not have any problems with splicing it. I assume that the 80 is also hollow? Even solid 80 and solid 100 is spliceable although it takes a lot of patience.

8. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

minnow, when are you going to put that video of splicing spectra?

with the server?

9. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

The needles are the hollow tube ones not for making loop connections. The 80# is trilene big game monofilliment. he was tring to make a chinese finger trap connection instead of the bimini knot.

10. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

If you just need to open up the spectra so that you can then push the mono up into the hollow space, I'd suggest the best/cheapest tool is a doubled wire "cricket-leg" gadget like Garry Sato includes in his kit. You can make one by doubling 6" or more of SS wire and then putting a bend into each leg so that the legs aren't bent at the same point and the bent legs will not lie in the same plane. Neat gadget. Hats off to Garry.

11. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Or just use your long wire puller and pull it out after you have gone in far enough. Btw, I am assuming that he was using the hollow needle with the mono inserted into the hollow needle. What this does is it makes the whole deal much thicker and harder to run up the hollow spectra. What I like to do is to cut the end of the mono with a sharp razor blade 90 degrees. Then take a series of nail emory files from coarse to super fine and file the end of the mono into a bullet like shape. Then just insert the mono into the spectra without the needles. Since the overall size of the mono alone would be lots smaller in diameter than the hollow needles, insertion is a cinch. Putting 80 mono into 130 spectra should be so easy to do. Doing it right makes the job so easy.

12. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

He says he tried to do just the mono and it does the same thing. Heck if i know why it wont go in there. Maybe the spool was mis labeled. Brand new line never been used.

13. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Aside from Powerpro, most other spectra are hollow in the 130 and up sizes. Tell him to spend more time in making the end of the mono bullet shaped and use a very fine fingernail file to polish off the bullet shape so no rough edges to hang up.

14. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

okie dokie. i'll relay it to him. thanks

15. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

Well i went down and tried my hand at it and got about 5" in and it started bunching up inside. Tried the needle and just the mono,same thing. Said forget it and did a bimini and inproved albright. it's much easier and faster. the san diego knot slipped. I'll stick with what i can do.

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That is a bad spool of spectra, contact Jerry Brown

17. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

It isnt jerry brown, it is Izorline.

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

19. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Now you really have me curious?????
    You stated that it is Izorline 130.
    Are you sure?

20. jureal

jureal Senior Member

IZORLINE “BRUTALLY STRONG” SPECTRA
    “SPACE AGE” FIBER FISHING LINE IZORLINE-THE ORIGINATORS OF SPECTRA FIBER FISHING LINE!!

1/3 THE DIAMETER OF THE SAME TEST DACRON OR MONOFILAMENT!!!

IZORLINE HAS DEVELOPED A NEW 12LB TEST SPECTRA, IDEAL FOR FRESH -WATER APPLICATIONS! MOST OTHER BRANDS OF COLORED SPECTRA CONTAIN A THICK COATING WHICH OFTEN CLUMPS OFF AND INCREASES LINE DIAMETER AND DRAG. IZORLINE’S NEW DYEING PROCESS STAYS ON LONGER WITHOUT CHANGING THE BENEFICIAL PROPERTIES OF SPECTRA. SINCE OUR SPECTRA HAS NO MEMORY, THERE IS NO MORE LINE COILING AND TWISTING PROBLEMS!

THE 75 YARD SIZES IS IDEAL FOR MINI-SPIN FISHING REELS, LIKE THE SHIMANO SPIREX 500, OR ANY OTHER REEL WHICH HAS A LINE CAPACITY OF 100YDS OF 4LB. TEST. YOU CAN THEN ATTACH A SHORT LEADER OF MONO. A DOUBLE SURGEONS LOOP WORKS FINE ON THE SPECTRA.

So sensitive “You’ll be able to feel your worm twitch!”

GREAT FOR BACKING AND DEEP WATER FISHING!!! SEE OUR NEW 750-YARD SIZES!

THE 80LBX750YD SPOOL IS PERFECT FOR FILLING 30W AND 50W SIZE REELS WHEN COMBINED WITH THE APPROPRIATE IZORLINE WIND-ON TOPS SHOT. ALSO THE 135LBX750YD AND CAN BE MATCHED WITH OUR AVAILABLE WIND-ON’S TO FILL 50W SIZE REELS 750.

POUND
    TEST 50
    YARDS 75
    YARDS 100
    YARDS 150
    YARDS 200
    YARDS 300
    YARDS 500
    YARDS 750
    YARDS 1,000
    YARDS 1,500
    YARDS 2,500
    YARDS
    12 X X X X X X X X
    20 X X X X X X X
    30 X X X X X X X
    50 X X X X X X X
    65 X X X X X
    80 X X X X X X X X X
    80 Hollow X X X X X X X X
    135 Hollow* X X X X X X X X
    200 Hollow X X X X X X
    300 Hollow** X X

NOTE:

*12LB THROUGH 20LB TEST NATURAL & 30LB THROUGH 135LB TEST GREEN (SPECIAL ORDER CALL FOR AVAILABILITY)

**SPECIAL ORDER/CALL FOR AVAILABILITY

FIBER REQUIRES PRECISE AND VERY SPECIALIZED BRAIDING TECHNIQUES. THESE ARE SEVERAL INFERIOR PRODUCTS ENTERING THE MARKET PLACE. ACCEPT NO COPIES OR IMITATIONS!!!

ONLY IZORLINE “BRUTALLY STRONG” SPECTRA HAS BEEN FIELD TESTED UNDER EXTREME CONDITIONS FOR OVER 8 YEARS.

As you can see, Izorline does not make a solid 135. By it's very nature, 135 requires sufficient numbers of strands to make it automatically hollow. This is true of Jerry Brown also. Their 130 or 135 are hollow. They do not make a solid. Occassionally you will have a spot where there is blockage of something or another. Just cut that part off and start at a new location.