360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that it was difficult, but possible. Does anyone have experience with the 40lb hollow JB and slicing the end loop? I'd like to use it on my cod/haddock rigs. Thanks!

·
1,386 Posts
Give Basil (BHP Tackle) a ring. He'd know for sure.

Yes, he will know. This has come up a couple of times. I think Grandpa21 has tried it. He may weigh in. If I can get a sample, I'll give it a try and test its strength.

Why not use the JB 60#? It can be spliced fairly easily once you're practiced.

·
Site Sponsor
1,212 Posts
The construction is hollow, but it is all but impossible to splice. That's why the label is specific about this. It is also very expensive.

I agree with pametfisher, use 60lb.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

·
1,386 Posts
Roger: Are you using a bend-over wire to do your splicing? If so, what gauge for the 60lb?

John

John,

I use #4 wire (or #2 wire) for 60, 80 and 100# hollow-weave splicing. DaHo makes a good product but I just take 2-3' of wire and bend it in half to a tight point.

The secret is to push the braid onto the wire for the first half inch and then push the wire into the braid once you've got it going. If the wire pokes outside the braid back up, smooth the line, and continue.

I know you know but I want to mention that it is important to get a smooth insertion that does not catch even a single thread. This is not hard to do just an important detail to keep in mind.

PF

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys.....that label is PRETTY SPECIFIC. I'll use the 60, which I have spliced, and have no problems splicing end loops in all the other weights.....I just wanted to use the lightest line for these reels. I have Saltist 30s with 65 power pro on them....I have been jigging cod/haddock much deeper off the edge of the bank this year and have reached the end of the line a few times, obviously dealing with current and drifts etc. I thought if I switched to the 40 I could get more line on and still have strong enough connection. The 60 hollow, I believe, is slightly bulkier than the 65 PP, so it sort of defeats the purpose. I will be outting it on my bigger saltists and spinning reels though.

Out of curiosity.....why make a hollow line that you cannot splice? Seems to defeat the purpose, or is it just better construction, so benefical nonetheless.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's my other thought, but it doesn't come in hollow. I was hoping to take advantage of the splicing and loop-to-loop.

I'd love to see a splicable 40-50lb hollow, that would be awesome.

·
1,386 Posts
have you thought of using the daiwa boat braid? That stuff is really thin especially if you get the 55lb spool.

Yes, and if you use the Solid Hollow Splice, you can get spliced end-loops. It is a reasonable way to go if you want very thin line.

·
Site Sponsor
1,212 Posts
I'd love to see a splicable 40-50lb hollow, that would be awesome

There is a 50lb 16x hollow braid available from Blackwater. I have some and it's very easy to splice, but wildly expensive at .79/yard. IMO just load the reel with a good quality solid braid, make a bimini or 5-turn surgeon knot, connect your wind-on and go fishing.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts