Splicing 2 non hollow braids

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by north coast, Nov 8, 2009.

1. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Ok I just bought a new stella. I have what's left of a 500m spool of daiwa braid,after spooling another stella. I also have about a million yards of 100 Power pro.Being a cheapskate or Having a "frugal mentality":D I'd like to put some 100 pp in back and put the remainder of the boat braid up front. I know there are numerous knots to do this job. Is there another/ better way that I'm not thinking of?

2. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Personally I say keep the PP at home and put the rest of the Daiwa on it, you don't want to be losing a trophy fish due to the connection between the 2 lines but that is just me...I don't like to take any chances. Other than that, I don't see another way or better way for this.

3. north coast

Ok, I got to thinking,:confused:
    How many times have you run into a situation where you would like to connect two main lines? When your line up front gets a little "tired" the bottom 2/3 of the line most likely has not even seen water,and is basicly new. but if you pull off a third, your left with having to splice.Wouldn't it be nice to buy a 100 yd spool 1 or 2 times a season and be working with new line instead of having to replace the whole spool? Then you have the problem of always having to buy more line than you need. you fill a spool ,there's always some left that gets wasted.and it gets damn expensive to boot.
    All right, From reading here for awhile now, I'd say we have a collection here of some of the best minds in the fishing world. ANYWHERE. We need to come up with a solution to this problem. Who's got ideas?

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I highly recommend Uni to Uni knot to connect two solid braided line.
    I have problem to connect heavy mono to braid, but I never have problem to connect braid to braid using Uni to Uni knot.
    Uni to Uni knot for braid doesn't have high profile. Of course, I recommend to put some super glue on the knot.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Ok I just bought a new stella. I have what's left of a 500m spool of daiwa braid,after spooling another stella. I also have about a million yards of 100 Power pro.Being a cheapskate or Having a "frugal mentality":D I'd like to put some 100 pp in back and put the remainder of the boat braid up front. I know there are numerous knots to do this job. Is there another/ better way that I'm not thinking of?

If you don't mind losing 40% of the true line strength, Uni to Uni is time proven. Glue might help but not always.

If you want 100% strength, use the solid to hollow splice at the middle of this page

Hollow Spectra Techniques: Splicing Hollow-Weave line to Solid Line

It takes a few minutes but really works. (The Unis that you tie in this system are SERVES, not knots, so they don't change the strength.)

PF

6. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Senior Member

I agree 100%. I just removed about 300 yds. of JB solid 80# from a John Baker reel and put it on my new Avet Hoo-X. I have put a spliced loop of red 200# JB hollow on the end of the solid and then I put 150 yds. of new JB hollow 80# with a loop spliced into the end loop to loop connected to the solid. I spliced a loop on the other end of the hollow so I could then build wind on leaders to loop to loop and finish off my rig. You will probably rarely use more than 150 yds of line while jigging, so next year just replace the top 150 yds of line and go about your business.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Ok, I got to thinking,:confused:
    How many times have you run into a situation where you would like to connect two main lines? When your line up front gets a little "tired" the bottom 2/3 of the line most likely has not even seen water,and is basicly new. but if you pull off a third, your left with having to splice.Wouldn't it be nice to buy a 100 yd spool 1 or 2 times a season and be working with new line instead of having to replace the whole spool? Then you have the problem of always having to buy more line than you need. you fill a spool ,there's always some left that gets wasted.and it gets damn expensive to boot.
    All right, From reading here for awhile now, I'd say we have a collection here of some of the best minds in the fishing world. ANYWHERE. We need to come up with a solution to this problem. Who's got ideas?

Often times when poeple are spooling reels, a big consideration regarding what line to put on is cost. the metered lines are definitely more expensive and can be cost prohibitive for many. i do recommend people choose the option you're speaking of (putting 100-200yds of metered braid on top of regular braid). i am not a fan of many connections in your line, but sometimes its the most economical choice

8. north coast

I know you can use a uni to uni.(and a few others) I've done it countless times. it's a good connection.BUT
    You are out fishing,you finally hook a beast that actually takes you to the uni splice.:eek: Are you comfortable when that connection goes through the guides?I know I'm not. I've been there. Not untill that knot is safely back on the reel do I start to feel comfortable again.I just wish there was a connection that was better Than the knot. I know you can splice loops in hollow. That's probably the best way to go with hollow,But I'm talking about solid braid.

9. pametfisher

I know you can use a uni to uni.(and a few others) I've done it countless times. it's a good connection.BUT
    You are out fishing,you finally hook a beast that actually takes you to the uni splice.:eek: Are you comfortable when that connection goes through the guides?I know I'm not. I've been there. Not untill that knot is safely back on the reel do I start to feel comfortable again.I just wish there was a connection that was better Than the knot. I know you can splice loops in hollow. That's probably the best way to go with hollow,But I'm talking about solid braid.

Did you look at the Solid Hollow Splice? You can splice solid into two ends of a piece of hollow.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Believe me. you'll have no problem though you might not be comfortable. :) I have used 300 yards of 80 lbs braided line and connect 100 meter color coded Japanese PE8 line over 10 years without single issue.
    When I hooked up a giant which took over 400 yards of line, I had two or three uni to uni knots and I lost the fish after fighting 30 minutes not because knot's failure, but because 100 lbs leader line was cut.
    But applying super glue is a must for me.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

roger........what are the test resuts for a loop to loop connection?

12. pametfisher

roger........what are the test resuts for a loop to loop connection?

Bret,

A single Loop to Loop connection is 100% strong. When you splice an end-loop in hollow, or tie a Bimini in solid, you cut the tension in the mainline exactly in half inside the loop. Because of that, even if a loop to loop connection was only 50% efficient as a knot, the connection would still be 100% strong.

If you use a Surgeon's for the mainline loop, the loop to loop is 100% strong but the Surgeon's knot reduces the mainline strength by 35-40%. So if you have a strong mainline, a Surgeon's is not too bad. However if you have a light mainline relative to your drag requirements, a Bimini or spliced end-loop is better.

13. north coast

Did you look at the Solid Hollow Splice? You can splice solid into two ends of a piece of hollow.

Now that is more like what I had in mind. I've never done this, But have thought about it. I've done fluoro leaders to dacron this way, but never braid to braid.So,How do you figure what hollow you need to splice,Lets say 100 to 100 braid? Different manufacturers have different diameters for the same lb test. I'm looking at @ different 100 lb lines and the diameter, in some, is pretty significantly different. Also ,with fluoro, you can just push the line into the braid/dacron, how would this be done with braid? I know There are rigging needles involved. but have never done this.

14. pametfisher

Now that is more like what I had in mind. I've never done this, But have thought about it. I've done fluoro leaders to dacron this way, but never braid to braid.So,How do you figure what hollow you need to splice,Lets say 100 to 100 braid? Different manufacturers have different diameters for the same lb test. I'm looking at @ different 100 lb lines and the diameter, in some, is pretty significantly different. Also ,with fluoro, you can just push the line into the braid/dacron, how would this be done with braid? I know There are rigging needles involved. but have never done this.

100# JB hollow will work great, I've done this splice a lot. Although the braid diameters vary, if you get one of about the same pound test and pull the solid into the hollow for 3' or so it will be very strong. You could even use the JB 80# which tests over 110 lbs. ABS (actual breaking strength). All spliced connections are 50% stronger than almost all knotted connections (exceptions are the Bimini Twist and P.R. Knot; you could put Bimini's in each line and single loop-to-loop them too instead of splicing)

All you need is a 4' piece of #4 Malin rigging wire folded in half to a tight point--very cheap. Use that to pull the solid into the hollow. Did you find my link to the instructions?

15. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Being a cheapskate or Having a "frugal mentality"...

Cheapskate? You just bought a Stella! Personally, I'd spool it with all hollow and spend the money now, not later as you fool around with knots and potential failures. The confidence factor goes way up with spliced connections and hollow braid. Abandon solid approach unless you absolutely feel you cannot do without metered line. JMO

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

16. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Then you have the problem of always having to buy more line than you need. you fill a spool ,there's always some left that gets wasted.and it gets damn expensive to boot.

The entire issue goes away if you use hollow braid. Just splice on what you need and save the rest until next time. You can also repair your line easily if needed with hollow by making the splice. 100%.

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

17. pametfisher

Being a cheapskate or Having a "frugal mentality"...

Cheapskate? You just bought a Stella! Personally, I'd spool it with all hollow and spend the money now, not later as you fool around with knots and potential failures. The confidence factor goes way up with spliced connections and hollow braid. Abandon solid approach unless you absolutely feel you cannot do without metered line. JMO

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

I'm in violent agreement. And if you need metered line, oversplice some colored hollow spectra on top of white line.

18. north coast

Ha, I agree about the hollow. I have become really used to the metered line though.I do a lot of jigging. It's valuable to know exactly where your jig is at all times.Maybe someone will come out with a metered hollow.I may rethink what I put on this reel. The hollow really may be the way to go. An overlay is a possibility,Sounds like a chore though.
    By the way,I paid $575 new in box, for the stella 20000. I couldn't refuse.
    Perfect way to get a "cheapskate"to shake loose some dough.lol

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Then you have the problem of always having to buy more line than you need. you fill a spool ,there's always some left that gets wasted.and it gets damn expensive to boot.

The entire issue goes away if you use hollow braid. Just splice on what you need and save the rest until next time. You can also repair your line easily if needed with hollow by making the splice. 100%.

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

i have to admit i was pretty surprised when angelo said you guys got 360yds or something of jb 100 hollow onto the 2000fa. hes sending it to me tomorrow i think, should get a workout this weekend :)

20. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

If you get an more $575 20k's let me know, for that kind of money I would have to get a spinner. And I really like that solid/hollow connection method Pamet.
    As for marking line depth I usually just mark a spot with a grease pencil every 25' (but i'm really cheap)