360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
If jigging with a 250g rod capable of 14kg of drag at 90 degrees is slow pitching to you then go for it .
The tokayo video doesn’t show the rod at 90 degrees btw.

Btw, landing a thresher shark on your boat and posing with the fish = dead shark . It was on instagram .

personally , I would go with Poseidon , Shimano oceajigger/ grappler series , Deepliner Logical spj rods , or I think there was a pretty good American spj rod maker . Forgot the name. (Ps don’t high stick these ) lol

·
Retired Member
5,518 Posts
I slow pitch Hearty Rise rods with great results. I also yo-yo Jigged having fun with my new rod and caught the same species as slow pitching. The HR are just as light and sensitive as other brands out there, with the benefit of steering a fish or lifting a fish off the bottom if needed. I’m grateful that I am able to continue to try and own various SPJ rods but will continue to use the Hearty Rise. That’s great that you have SPJ rods that you enjoy and have good results with. But not everyone loves one brand, and that’s the reason so many companies continue to grow. I am not a fan of certain rods, but many friends think they’re the best rod ever made. I would like to ask if you ever had an opportunity to slow pitch with a HR rod, and how many of the rods you said you would go with have you fished? My favorites are Hearty Rise SJ3S, DeepLiner logical, Evergreen Poseidon, because I fished them and many other brands and did not judge them on what I read or videos watched. It’s hard enough for tackle shops to stay open with no supplies and people afraid to spend with what is happening with the economy. So let people buy what they like without bashing when you weren’t asked for your opinion.

Benny

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Benny

I see thank you for sharing your expeirence. No, i havent used the Hearty Rise Rods becuase they dont sell them in Japan and i assume no one would purchase a Chinese brand here. I just cant help but think they are taking advantge of the "slow pitch" technique in their marketing scheme. Again, its hard for me to understand why they would create a rod for example the (SJ3SE-551S/250) max drag at 60degrees :14kg, max PE 1.5... Their concept is whack.

I am actually not so big into jigging, i do more top water casting for pelagics., but i do have the Poseidon slow jerker,
No2, 3 and the Deepliner Logical No.5. I also have a JAM rod made by Seafloor control No. 4 and a Shimano grappler No. 4.

Slow jerker No.3, around 115g. Can handle 150~250g jigs comfortably. Its a joy to spj with. My fav.

·
Retired Member
5,518 Posts
I guess it’s just how you look at it. PE 1.5 has a 25# or 11kg test rating and the rod having 14kg is about 30#. So the line is the weakest point even at max drag. Not like other SPJ rods where the rod is the weak point if high drag is used if even by accident, or accidentally lifting to high.

Rectangle Font Publication Brand Logo

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes i understand. However, you wouldnt use even 5kg of drag with PE 1.5 when fighting a fish. Lines break much lower than what is listed on the box. Still dont understand why a 14kg drag rating for the rod is necessary. The oceajigger reels only have a max rating of 10kg. 7~8kg (15lbs) with a gimbal and straps is close to the limit even with a tuna plugging rod....

sorry i just dont buy into stuff which makes no sense. Not to mention their practice is unethical.

Anway didnt mean to hijack the thread. sorry

·
Retired Member
5,518 Posts
Exactly! I’m glad you brought up the Ocea Jigger. I was jigging with the HR power 1 with the Jigger 1500 f-custom. Hooking up to a huge cobia I was unable to stop the it with the Ocea Jigger drag locked tight. The point here is the rod still had plenty of power left. So I went home and ordered 4 wiki Jiggers, 1 1500, 2 2000’s and a 3000. Now with the option of 40 plus pounds of drag I can feel confident that I’ll move the fish. Since then I have landed large AJ’s, and sharks in a fraction of the time than with the standard SPJ rods. It’s just my way and preference of fishing. I’ve been taught to lift and reel down since I was a kid and fishing that way over 60 years it’s the way I automatically default to.

Benny

·
Registered
55 Posts
Exactly! I’m glad you brought up the Ocea Jigger. I was jigging with the HR power 1 with the Jigger 1500 f-custom. Hooking up to a huge cobia I was unable to stop the it with the Ocea Jigger drag locked tight. The point here is the rod still had plenty of power left. So I went home and ordered 4 wiki Jiggers, 1 1500, 2 2000’s and a 3000. Now with the option of 40 plus pounds of drag I can feel confident that I’ll move the fish. Since then I have landed large AJ’s, and sharks in a fraction of the time than with the standard SPJ rods. It’s just my way and preference of fishing. I’ve been taught to lift and reel down since I was a kid and fishing that way over 60 years it’s the way I automatically default to.

Benny
I see , when I landed the 40lb albacore , I fought the fish with the reel instead of the rod . I guess it takes time getting used to . However spj with a lighter parabolic rod is much easier !

·
Registered
55 Posts
bs advice. You dont high stick spj rods unless you like purchasing new rods every trip. They are not designed to fight the fish, they are designed to control the jig.
No one is talking about high sticking here even tho they are many rods that allow you to do so. Have you tried to break a spj rod fishing lately? Any success? Everyone who's into slow jigging know the rods are designed to control the jigs..it's not a secret. I have owned and tested goofish, no name chinese spj rods, black hole, shimano, temple reef, hearty rise but always go back to hearty rise for groupers and temple reef for tilefish at the canyons. I have Japanese friends who supply my tackle needs from japan and of course I use our products as much as possible but it doesn't mean I need to bash others. Those who don't want/can't afford to pay a small fortune for better quality products could pick up much cheaper options..might not last as long but still be successful. Anyways thanks Mr. Internet policeman

·
Registered
55 Posts
The problem is, it's not really possible to 'test' these rods. It's still a pretty fringe market -- some area tackle stores may have a bit of SPJ gear, but it would typically be Shimano (maybe). So pretty much the purchase has to be on-line, and dependent on reviews.
Very true.... My friend sent me an used evergreen poseidon 10+ years ago when I first got into slow jigging. Till now, I still have hard time finding jigging gears locally. Fortunately I have the privilege of buying online...if I don't like them, i could just send them to my brother in FL for his charter boats. The quality of japan rods are hard to be beaten but I found them light for the species I target and the water I fish in. I had great results using black hole for florida amberjacks..hearty rise and temple reef for norfolk, washing, baltimore canyons..Best of luck on your search....

·
Registered
103 Posts
It’s mind boggling that people pay that much for an HR rod, even when they put out an inferior product on the market. As long as people will pay blindly whatever the maker is asking the producer will not be interested in innovation, quality components or improving their products. They will invest in videos and promotional activities.
If their product is not on par with the hype why not ask questions? Is it called bashing to tell the truth ? I think we should demand quality and innovations if we want to have better rods in the future, especially when producers are asking a premium price for their products.

·
Retired Member
5,518 Posts
Who decides what’s too much to pay for something you like? If you enjoy what you’re buying no matter what the cost then you have that right without others trying to prove you wrong. If you buy a low cost goofish they say you get what you pay for. If you buy a higher price HR it’s why would you spend that much on that. So let’s all be happy buying what we can and enjoy what we like. I like what works for me no matter what the cost. I own 4 goofish and 3 series of HR rods “R” “S” and “SE” and every one of them make my day on the water enjoyable.

Benny

·
Registered
103 Posts
Who decides what’s too much to pay for something you like? If you enjoy what you’re buying no matter what the cost then you have that right without others trying to prove you wrong. If you buy a low cost goofish they say you get what you pay for. If you buy a higher price HR it’s why would you spend that much on that. So let’s all be happy buying what we can and enjoy what we like. I like what works for me no matter what the cost. I own 4 goofish and 3 series of HR rods “R” “S” and “SE” and every one of them make my day on the water enjoyable.

Benny
Enjoy the rods Mr Benny ! My point was that it’s ok to ask questions and demand quality if people are paying a premium price!

·
Registered
55 Posts
No one is talking about high sticking here even tho they are many rods that allow you to do so. Have you tried to break a spj rod fishing lately? Any success? Everyone who's into slow jigging know the rods are designed to control the jigs..it's not a secret. I have owned and tested goofish, no name chinese spj rods, black hole, shimano, temple reef, hearty rise but always go back to hearty rise for groupers and temple reef for tilefish at the canyons. I have Japanese friends who supply my tackle needs from japan and of course I use our products as much as possible but it doesn't mean I need to bash others. Those who don't want/can't afford to pay a small fortune for better quality products could pick up much cheaper options..might not last as long but still be successful. Anyways thanks Mr. Internet policeman
The poster was asking for something in the 400$ range so i offered some options. He/she wasnt asking about a 200$ goofish or whatever. Then there was a comment about pumping the rod so I responded with its not a good idea to high stick or pump a 400$ spj rod, such as the slowjerkers or oceajigger series rods. I came off as an ass in that comment which i regret . Anyway, you want to try to keep the rod at a 45 degree angle or pont the rod at the fish when the fish is big. I have seen them snap when the angler had the rod pointed higher than waistline and the fish dove under the boat. It not a good feeling snapping a $$$$ rod.

Maybe your japanese friend can send you some deepliner spj, Tenryu, or Luxxe rods. They are really nice but pretty expensive.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Try an Ocean’s Legacy rod. All their slow pitch rods are <$400. I just bought a origin long fall, I’ve seen them catch a lot of good fish I think it’s worth a try

21 - 34 of 34 Posts