360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two jigging combos: A Palmarius '1' with an OJ 1501HG and a Shimano Trevala PX MH (something) with an OJ 2001.

The Palmarius has wonderful sensitivity but is a little light for jigs (IMO) in the 200+ gram range, and the 1501 is too light for a lot of the amberjacks and sharks that are inevitable off the NC coast. Hence the Trevala and larger reel purchase, but this rod is definitely not a slow-pitch rod. I'll keep it for a general bottom fishing rod, but would like another dedicated SPJ rod.

Budget is about <= $400 and I'm fine looking for something used. I don't really want another Palmarius. Thx

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love my black hole cape cod slow pitch rod 350g. I’ve caught AJ and sand bar sharks on it without a problem. It’s on top of your price range but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grappler slow j is well within your budget or game type slow j is slightly over. Would be my top choices for that reel. Can be hard to find right now though with all the supply issues.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have two jigging combos: A Palmarius '1' with an OJ 1501HG and a Shimano Trevala PX MH (something) with an OJ 2001.

The Palmarius has wonderful sensitivity but is a little light for jigs (IMO) in the 200+ gram range, and the 1501 is too light for a lot of the amberjacks and sharks that are inevitable off the NC coast. Hence the Trevala and larger reel purchase, but this rod is definitely not a slow-pitch rod. I'll keep it for a general bottom fishing rod, but would like another dedicated SPJ rod.

Budget is about <= $400 and I'm fine looking for something used. I don't really want another Palmarius. Thx
Go up in size with the Palmarius to a 2 or 3 and you’ll be set

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx all -- some good suggestions. Trying to wrap my head around the ratings. I want to fish jigs from 180 - 300(?) grams and my reel is spooled with 40lb braid (I think PE-3 or PE-4 equivalent). The Palmarius 1 and 1501HG cover the 100gr to 180gr perfectly.

That Poseidon for sale looks like it would be way light for what I'm after. I don't really want another Palmarius -- it's a cool rod, but had some minor but annoying problems with the EVO foam grip.

The Grappler Slow J seems appealing -- would the GRPSJC68MH (rated 40lbs max 400g) be too heavy? I do like the price, especially since I'll need to budget for a reel for the Trevala, once I move the OJ 2001 off her. :)

·
6,523 Posts

If you change your mind I have a Custom P2 fished 1x I would sell for $380 shipped PP/FF

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Thx all -- some good suggestions. Trying to wrap my head around the ratings. I want to fish jigs from 180 - 300(?) grams and my reel is spooled with 40lb braid (I think PE-3 or PE-4 equivalent). The Palmarius 1 and 1501HG cover the 100gr to 180gr perfectly.

That Poseidon for sale looks like it would be way light for what I'm after. I don't really want another Palmarius -- it's a cool rod, but had some minor but annoying problems with the EVO foam grip.

The Grappler Slow J seems appealing -- would the GRPSJC68MH (rated 40lbs max 400g) be too heavy? I do like the price, especially since I'll need to budget for a reel for the Trevala, once I move the OJ 2001 off her. :)
Did you contact Dan about the issues with the grip? Also there is also a cork version available now too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you contact Dan about the issues with the grip? Also there is also a cork version available now too.
I did last year. He was on a trip and said he'd send me a replacement when he got back, which I thought was above and beyond! However, I never heard anything more, and the issue didn't bother me enough to follow-up. It's honestly minor, and hasn't gotten any worse: just odd because none of my other eva-grip rods have issues. In any event, the rod has otherwise been great and capable of some very big fish -- I just figured I'd try something else.

My preference would be for a made-in-Japan rod/blank, but not sure that's possible for my budget.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I did last year. He was on a trip and said he'd send me a replacement when he got back, which I thought was above and beyond! However, I never heard anything more, and the issue didn't bother me enough to follow-up. It's honestly minor, and hasn't gotten any worse: just odd because none of my other eva-grip rods have issues. In any event, the rod has otherwise been great and capable of some very big fish -- I just figured I'd try something else.

My preference would be for a made-in-Japan rod/blank, but not sure that's possible for my budget.
you will definitely pay more but like anything else you get what you pay for but it’s definitely worth the investment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grappler blanks are not made in Japan for cost savings but they are solid blanks. They can take a good amount of drag pressure as well compared to the thinner more sensitive ocea jigger infiniti series or poseidon rods. (Its a slow jigging rod so obviously dont high stick.) Caught some albacore in the 20kg range with them no issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
99% of spj rods (even the cheap $60 chinese ones) have no issues catching 100+ lbs fish fighting conventional style. Pick whichever match well with your style, how they feel in hand, how they control the jigs..ect. I like to pump like a maniac so I pick hearty rise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
99% of spj rods (even the cheap $60 chinese ones) have no issues catching 100+ lbs fish fighting conventional style. Pick whichever match well with your style, how they feel in hand, how they control the jigs..ect. I like to pump like a maniac so I pick hearty rise.
bs advice. You dont high stick spj rods unless you like purchasing new rods every trip. They are not designed to fight the fish, they are designed to control the jig.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The hearty rise Tokayo? Tokio? rods or whatever they are called lists the drag pressure at 14kg at 90degrees for max PE of 3. Makes zero sense. Thats more drag pressure than my RF Tuna rod can handle. These are not slow jigging rods bro. Chinese junk. Saw them catch and kill a thresher shark on youtube. S%$t company imo.

·
Retired Member
5,516 Posts
The hearty rise Tokayo? Tokio? rods or whatever they are called lists the drag pressure at 14kg at 90degrees for max PE of 3. Makes zero sense. Thats more drag pressure than my RF Tuna rod can handle. These are not slow jigging rods bro. Chinese junk. Saw them catch and kill a thresher shark on youtube. S%$t company imo.
I would like to see the Tokayo video you seen where a thresher shark was killed. The videos I’ve seen where threshers were caught were all released and swam away. Also those rods look pretty damn impressive to me! I guess you never tried one you really don’t know. Also, bashing a company for great advertising and promoting a product isn’t necessary. Some like evergreen, some like feed, some like DeepLiner, and some like goofish, that only means that particular setup is that individual’s preference not that it’s better or worse that another. What is your SPJ go to set up?

Benny

·
1,006 Posts
SJ3R-581C/800 rated 14KG @ 90 degree? Not possible?🤔

I think it’s listed 16.3KG (36lbs) on Charkbait site.

But testing video posted said otherwise (higher than that)

Building Fixture Gas Automotive exterior Font

I seen Blackhole 502 (I think ) tested close to 30KG.
Fixture Gas Handle Machine Door

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem is, it's not really possible to 'test' these rods. It's still a pretty fringe market -- some area tackle stores may have a bit of SPJ gear, but it would typically be Shimano (maybe). So pretty much the purchase has to be on-line, and dependent on reviews.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts