360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would like to be able to work a 160-200ish gram jig on the low end, I know that will make it the tricky part... talked to a few informed guys, front of the pack so far is Hearty Rise SJ iii S power 2, Oceans Legacy Elementus ELDS-B61H (180-500g rating), Temple Reef project X power 3 or 4, Garage Nagi Cross border power 6. I prefer a shorter rod, and ideally 1 piece. The Hearty Rise seems to be the front runner. It's tough talking to some of these shops because they just want to sell ya whats in stock... I don't mind waiting for the right tool. Would love to hear some opinions or other recommendations. Cheers guys

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don’t know if you like black hole or you forgot to mention it but they have rods that could fit your needs. I have several Black Hole Boca Slow Pitch rods and at least The B601H3R and the B642H2M2 could take tuna in that range . The B601H3R is also one piece as you are looking for. Kill might be able to give you more information on these rods and help you find one.

·
Retired Member
5,147 Posts
Of the ones you mention I like HR. You may be able to use the power 3 also. I contacted HR before I purchased my #1 to ask about low end jig weights. They said you can go down to 40g on their #1. If they suggest as low as 40g on a #1 (max 340g) then you should be able to gets good jig movement with a 150g on a power 3 and have a little extra backbone. Another choice but I never tried is the SFC JEREX, from what I understand they were meant for larger fish on smaller jigs. Maybe give Dan at “Tackle Now” a call or send him a IM here. He is “Boston Tangler”.

Benny

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know if you like black hole or you forgot to mention it but they have rods that could fit your needs. I have several Black Hole Boca Slow Pitch rods and at least The B601H3R and the B642H2M2 could take tuna in that range . The B601H3R is also one piece as you are looking for. Kill might be able to give you more information on these rods and help you find one.
Thanks, I had not looked at them... punched in a quick search and came across this old clip:
That would get the job done and it doesn't look like a broom stick. It is 2 piece and i wish it was acid wrapped but I'm going to give it a shot. Came across one on Ebay for $340 shipped. Thanks for the tip! I may spring for a hearty rise eventually. They just look so fun watching what the guys can get away with! Crazy high sticking and flipping fish into the boat, wild....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have seen a lot of guys ( in videos) high stick the hell out of BH slow pitch rods ( not recommended) but they got away with it . The blanks on my rods are quite thick ( have a lot of material ) and that could explain why they can withstand some of the abuse.

·
Registered
748 Posts
There is zero percent chance that a power 1 HR rod will move a 40g jig effectively. You might be able to get decent action out of a 200g jig on the Power 1. That's even low end on the power 2 model. The power 3 would probably not even load with a 200g jig as it is a stout rod. I've found that they will not slow down enough to really get a good load until they are at the upper bounds of their jig range for each respective model. That being said, yes, you can put a ton of heat on them and you can do all kinds of wild stuff with the rod without it snapping in half. The Garage Nagi or Project X are not the rods for this. Black Hole also has rods you can put substantial heat on. There's a few Jigging Master SPJ blanks that are designed for high heat. Hell, a solid rod like the Goofish might actually not be a bad place to start.

There's several models of Shimano Game Type J rods in the 6ft range that are one piece but they are more traditional jigging rods rather than a slow pitch model. I think you could definitely handle up to 100lb class tuna on those rods, as well as most of the slow pitch offerings depending on how you fight the fish, but there will be limited lifting and pumping.

I think you'll have a much better shot at landing these types of fish in constrained depths of 150-200ft as the tuna can really only run out as opposed to down. The more room for them to run down into unlimited depths will for sure become an issue in the fight

·
Retired Member
5,147 Posts
IMO If Evergreen can state their long fall can work a jig from 80g to 600g. I’ll take HR’s word (until I try it and can prove them wrong) theircan work a 49g to 340g.

Longfall Jerker PLFJ710H-6

BRAND: EVERGREEN
Condition:Brand New.Specifics:Rod Length: 2.38mNumber of Pieces: 1 and gripFolded Length: 190.0cmRod Weight: 166gRod Power: HeavyLure Weight: 80-600gLine Weight: PE 0.6-5
Specifics:
Rod Length: 2.38m
Number of Pieces: 1 and grip
Folded Length: 190.0cm
Rod Weight: 166g
Rod Power: Heavy
Lure Weight: 80-600g
Line Weight: PE 0.6-5

Benjy

·
Retired Member
5,147 Posts
Hearty Rise only lists their max jig weight suggestions, so I had to ask about the low end. Got this from HR it should help with purchasing. Seems like a power 3 will work for most of my jig weights. I had great results with their Power 1 with a 250g so I’m good with my Power 1, and 2.

P1 min 40 to max 340g
Perfect jig weight is 60 to 250g

P2 min 80 to max 500g
Perfect jig weight is 100 to 290

P3 min 140g to 800g
Perfect jig weight is 210 to 500

Benny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts