SPJ on Free Drift Boat

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by kellerman2006, May 7, 2018.

1. kellerman2006

kellerman2006 Well-Known Member

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

That's one of my favorite sites to visit. That's where I found the FG knot tutorial using a mainline loop over reel handle. Only problem was the language was Japanese and that's a language I don't understand.

NBorg, tugasangler and kellerman2006 like this.

3. NBorg

NBorg Sponsors

He jigs very different in terms of the traditional SPJ that you normally see.
    To me it looks more like slowed down speed jigging combined with yoyo with a SPJ rod. Most of the action imparted on the lure is from the speed of the jerk/pull rather than the typical flip from the loading unloading the rod. Great video tho! It shows like in most cases there are more than one way to skin a cat.

When we use the Ham Sammich jigs for tuna with a longer jigging rod I will slow it down and jig pretty much exactly like this for the YFT just with a stiffer rod. Works better with a longer rod like 6' or 6'6" as well versus a 5'2"- 5'6". That long pull you get a better free fall pause with the longer rod. You only get a short pause with the shorter rods.

Kim likes this.
  4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Yanke Capts has a specialty trip called the Drift & Dream. Deploys a stern sea anchor allowing bow fisherman to jig and aft to drift bait. Possible option for those trying to avoid the complexities of free drift, although, aren’t all his other drift trips just that? Free drift. I’ve seen guys SPJ without issue on them. As well as all the other trips I’ve been on that were free drift under various conditions.

brn2surf1000, NBorg and tugasangler like this.
  5. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

You are correct. The sea anchor only gives the advantage of slowing down the drift when needed.

GARRIGA likes this.