Spiral wrapped Calstar 700H, 700XH, or 770H??

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by dingoatemebaby, Oct 12, 2009.

1. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to build my first spiral wrapped casting rod. Will be using this for Cape Cod BFT up to 200lbs, any suggestions? I've got an "in" for a cheap Calstar blank so please don't suggest any other products. Anyone use the new 770H? I'll be using 80lb braid on either a Baja Special or a Saltiga.

Also, since this will be my first spiral wrapped rod, any advice as to resources for guide placement and alignment is most appreciated. I've been hunting the web and haven't found much yet. Thanks for the support and tight lines!!!

Murph:D

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

3. dingoatemebaby

thanks d-a, that should help, anyone else got anything? I've heard the 770H is the weapon of choice for long range cows!

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

thanks d-a, that should help, anyone else got anything? I've heard the 770H is the weapon of choice for long range cows!

If you want rollers look at these: All American Spiral Roller Set (Black & Gold)
    If not look at Fuji SIC guides

d-a

5. semipro

semipro Senior Member

I did not know calstar has 770h,that will be awesome.I have 700h spinning,strong rod.

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Set the guides the same way you would on a conventional wrap..Use one #20 & the rest #12 or 10..On that rod I would use #12 & a 12 tip..Set the #20 on the zero axis line it up with the reel seat the way you would on any rod..

The next two guides #12 turn both to the left first on a 45 & the next on a 135 axis...All the rest on the 180 axis...now static deflect the rod...the line need to touch both 45 & 135 guides at all times under load..If it doesnt move them closer to the #20 & closer together intill the line does..

7. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

I have a Baja Special & really like it, but it would not be a reel I would consider using while targeting large bluefin. You might want to get some reel recommendations from the local captains. Good luck with your rod building project.
    Backlash Scott

8. dingoatemebaby

thanks for the help guys!! anybody use the 770H? too heavy?

9. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I think the 770 just came out; I looked for it after reading about it here. A 60-100# Grafighter sounds like it would be nice, but I would want to see how the tip is before I got one. I built on a 800H cut down to 6'6" from the butt and it will handle 20-25# of drag w/o a problem; I lifted a 33# dumbell with it.

10. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

I have a 770h spiral wraped cut to 7" It is a beast and will easily handle the 200# range fish. I have not fished it yet. I may use it for florida swords also.

11. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

How long is the 770? I saw it listed at 7'?? What is the tip like compared to other Calstars??

12. dingoatemebaby

haven't got my hands on one yet, looks like the 770 is 7' and uses a #9 tip and has a butt diameter of .950

13. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Let us know when you get it! I did some 800H's cut down from the tip for cod, trimmed from the butt for tuna jigging and a 800M cut from the butt and tip for cod jigging, the heavier jigs just flopped the tip right over. It's nice to have the fast action for casting, but they needed to be slightly stiffer to support the heavier jigs better IMO. We had to use 14's some days tuna jigging!

14. jureal

jureal Senior Member

The 770H was designed to be a West Coast Rail Rod. It is in competition with the Seeker 2 X 4 in design. The reel that you have chosen is not appropriate for this rod. You need something bigger and with a two speed as this rod was designed to fish with the rod placed on the rail and using the torque created by the newer low speed reels like the Penn Internationals and the new Accurates. Some anglers have used this rod for fishing in the harness so that they have better clearances when the tuna is doing its spirals near the surface. I would think that this would be an ideal rod for what you are targeting but you are definitely undergunned in the reel department. You would need at least a 30 sized two speed reel and preferably with a modified low speed 50 sized reel that Cal Sheets makes. The ones with the one to one ratios.

15. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Jureal, did you mean the 700h or the 770?

16. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

Atd topless 6 is on mine, balances out good for me.

17. dingoatemebaby

thanks for all the info guys!!
    so I can kill this thread i went with a 700XH, not the 770H, my bud told me pretty much the same as Jureal, he is fishing his on a two speed fifty wide, ill be matching mine up with JB#60 hollow and a Baja Special, tight lines!

18. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Jureal, did you mean the 700h or the 770?
    You are absolutely correct. I edited my post to show that I meant 770H. The 700H is no where the brute that the 770H is. Thanks for the correction.

19. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

You are absolutely correct. I edited my post to show that I meant 770H. The 700H is no where the brute that the 770H is. Thanks for the correction.
    how does the 7470H compare.
    i am looking at that..just havent seen th blank yet.