Spiral/Acid wrap

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Phat Tuna, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Junior member

Has anyone built two duplicate poles one conventional and one spiral wrapped and compared both? Are the advantages with all fish, or just with larger fish? I have not come across any disadvantages...are there any? Paul and Ksong helped me finalize my blank Lamiglas CGBT 841 M

Alan

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I was gonna say ask Kil - His acid wrapped rod looks awesome, and from all reports if you ever fight a big fish with an acid wrapped rod, youll never want to go back. I plan on getting one shortly.

3. graya

graya Junior member

i build all my rods acid wrapp style but have some rods with light weight rollers and for me all my acid wrapped rods fish better than my conventional rods. Even my bass rods are acid wrapped if you fish one acid wrapped you will notice the difference.

4. shanker

shanker Senior Member

im still waiting on mine

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Has anyone built two duplicate poles one conventional and one spiral wrapped and compared both? Are the advantages with all fish, or just with larger fish? I have not come across any disadvantages...are there any? Paul and Ksong helped me finalize my blank Lamiglas CGBT 841 M

Alan
    yeah..there is a "show" piece where 2 rods are used the same blank and the same reel seat ..same grip smae weight on each, ect....one acid one conv..they go into a rodholder like tube with ballbearings..which enable the to spin freely, the conv rod will be facing down,,which MAKES you spin the rod over and HOLD it steady..the acid is facing in the fighting position.all you do is rest your hand on the rod..NO TURING/ TWISTING/Just HOLDING STRAIGHT..

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I have a Calstar 655xxh built with fuji usg's acid wrapped. I have a Penn 50s mounted on it. When I pull on it, the reel will go from the bottom of the rod up to the top of the rod without me doing anything other than pulling. Quite remarkable considering the weight of the reel. A lighter rod would do the same for a lighter reel but don't try this with a light rod and a heavy reel...lol

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I have a Calstar 655xxh built with fuji usg's acid wrapped. I have a Penn 50s mounted on it. When I pull on it, the reel will go from the bottom of the rod up to the top of the rod without me doing anything other than pulling. Quite remarkable considering the weight of the reel. A lighter rod would do the same for a lighter reel but don't try this with a light rod and a heavy reel...lol
    HEY..:D :D ..thats what i do in the video on my site:D :D :D,

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Q-On light weight rods (say 10-25lbs) do they cast the same or better
    Q- when you set up does it make a diference if the guides go R or L
    Q-Is the guide set up 0-90-180 so the transition is done with 3 guides

9. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

The casting performance is the same.

When I get another OTI 7 1/2 blank, I'm going to have JPR wrap in spiral for the new 665N 2-speed.

I'm thinking I may get to go back to conventional for topwater!

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

T

Have you a chance to give the 665 a real casting test? I still want to know how well the accucast works?

11. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

I'm going to do it this weekend.

I'll put the reel on a 6 1/2 foot GUSA, but it's not the best casting rod so it'll have to do for the first test.

12. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Casting should be a no factor. You still maintain a straight line path. Many different variations of the acid wrap. The bumper guide method uses the bumper guide as the transition guide. All the other guides except the stripper guide is at the 180 deg. position. I personally do not do the bumper guide and I go with the three guide transitions on all my rods. Typically the angles are 12-30 degrees, 60-90 degrees, and 150-170 degrees and the rest at 180 degrees. I look for a straight line path and then do a stress test for final guide placement.

13. jureal

jureal Senior Member

The casting performance is the same.

When I get another OTI 7 1/2 blank, I'm going to have JPR wrap in spiral for the new 665N 2-speed.

Sold out already? That was quick!