Spinning Tackle for tuna

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Matty P, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Matty P

Matty P Member

Hey all, been fishing offshore a decent amount for yellowfin up to about 90lbs. We’ve spent a lot of time on the chunk lately using mostly conventional setups with penn 50w’s. These setups get a bit cumbersome, which is why I switched over to spinning gear on the most recent trip. I’m using a Saragossa 20k paired with a shimano Tallus 7’2” extra heavy. We fought what we estimated to be an 80lb YFT for nearly an hour before losing it at the boat. This was my first experience battling a larger tuna on spinning tackle and was not expecting it to be that long of a fight for that class of fish. Based on everything that I’ve read, it seems like the Saragossa should be able to handle an 80lb YFT without any issues but there’s not as much info out there on the Tallus. Anyone have any info on whether or not the Tallus is capable of handling these types of fish? I’m wondering if maybe I wasn’t putting enough pressure on the fish out of concern that the rod might not hold up. Any info/advice is appreciated.

2. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

1. Sometimes how a tuna is hooked can impact the fight duration.
    2. That is a long fight for an 80lb tuna. I have seen 300lb bluefin caught on a 20k Stella in that time.
    3. The Saragossa can easily handle a fish of that size if you are using a 65-80lb line you can put 15-20lb drag on the fish...
    4. I haven’t fished your rod but assuming you matched it to 60-80lb line and it can hold 15-20lb drag you should be able to beat that fish most times you hook one.
    5. That said the fish didn’t read this post and how did you lose it? Hook pull? Not much you can do especially in that long of a fight... chafed leader? I use 80lb but it will break eventually... broken swivel? Things just happen and big fish make it happen more often...

I was spooled on a Penn Spinnfisher by a fish that ran me down to 50 yards and when I palmed the spool broke 65lb braid in 3 places simultaneously... it’s just fishing! You will get him next time!

Matty P and Illy like this.

3. Matty P

Matty P Member

Thank you for taking the time and providing a thorough response. It was very informative. The rod is rated for 65-200lb line so based on your comment, there’s no reason that rod is not sufficient correct?

I was using 80lb braid. I’m thinking that I could have tightened down the drag a bit more, which would have decreased the fight time. Definitely some inexperience on my end.

The fish was super exhausted when it got to the boat from the long fight. We had a mishap with the harpoon (should have gaffed it but they wanted to give the new harpoon a shot). A second later, a wave hit us and it lead to the braid hitting the boat and that was the end of that.

I was using about a 5ft fluorocarbon leader tied to a swivel and then directly to the braid. My thought is that I should use a few yards of top shot to prevent this from happening again. Do you have any knowledge on this?

4. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Yo, Matty P you answered your own question. Shimano Blue Water Tallus XH is beast of a rod.

Most rods will take a lot more than you can imagine. You seen any 'bendo' or high-sticking rod pictures?
    You need to put the wood, tighten & loosen drag during the fight watching line capacity on spool...

A fecking harpoon... LMFAO...

:D

5. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

This site never ceases to amaze.

o_O

Josh Miller likes this.
  6. Matty P

Matty P Member

Sick. Thanks. That was my gut but everyone was yelling at me to take my time and loosen the drag. Next time I’m putting the screws to him! And yes... a harpoon

7. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Spinning rods and swivels don't jibe.

12 to 18ft of your favorite leader joined using PR, FG/GT, Albright, your favorite knot...
    You want like 2 wraps of leader around the reel spool and enough leader out the rod, 3 to 4ft to lure for casting

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  8. Matty P

Matty P Member

Great advice. Thanks!

9. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Not sure what you mean? I was using a Penn Spinfisher 6500 with 65lb braid?

10. matawest

matawest Well-Known Member

If you are fighting an 80# fish for an hour your drag is way too light... double it.

11. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Agreed, but dont double it. 17-22 lbs drag on a full spool is
    an excellent start and you most likely won't have to adjust through the fight. An 80# fish on that gear in a CC or other small boat is a 15-20 min fight usually.
    That said, you got the fish to the boat, so your gear is adequate ;)
    Work with that, and as you find things you dont like about the setup, change them to what works for you. It's a journey, beleive me. SO.....MANY..... RODS..!
    1 point- get rid of any swivels and use a loop to loop connection or knot of your choice that will go thru the guides nicely.

phuongph and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  12. Matty P

Matty P Member

Thanks!

13. Matty P

Matty P Member

Thanks! We were in a 45ft sport fish in rough conditions so it was a little harder to maneuver the boat but with that said, the fish was down deep for most of the fight. When I was pumping the rod some line would peel off the reel which is why I think my drag was too loose. I wasn’t gaining much on any pull of the rod.

great advice on the swivel. I already took it off and tied on a longer leader with an FG knot.

lite-liner likes this.
  14. matawest

matawest Well-Known Member

I'm guessing his drag was under 10#s.

Bestadvice would be to get a drag scale and set it at 15# to start.

Illy likes this.
  15. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Is the use of 'drag scale' setting done with rod @ 45° or a straight rod pull?

Illy likes this.
  16. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

Your hand and experience will be your best scale. If not certain ask someone with more experience but once you figure out the initial drag amount you can adjust it during the fight.

lite-liner, jiggingnut and Matty P like this.
  17. Matty P

Matty P Member

I just tied a 15lb weight to the line and pointed the butt of the rod straight up. I tightened the drag until the weight was just being lifted off the ground. My understanding is that this is 15lbs of drag. Does that sound right? I can barely pull the line off the reel with my hand. Seems a little tight.

18. Illy

Illy Active Member

That’s a static weight I’m pretty sure it does not work that way. I could be wrong. I’ve been putting my rods in a holder and pull with a hand scale to set the drag. I’m following this thread to see if I’m doing it wrong also

19. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

That is correct. Straight pull on a hand scale or a static weight = same results

If you pull with rod @ 45° the result will vary slightly but not much significant difference

15# drag is stout starting point

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    lite-liner and Illy like this.
  20. Matty P

Matty P Member

Thanks! Tight lines!