360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish the winter striped marlin bite off baja. I want to build 2 spinning rod set-ups to pitch live or dead baits to feeding marlin around bait balls. Here's what I'm thinking, but I welcome advice:

Reel: Daiwa Saltiga 20k. It's my favorite by far of the large spinners and, although the aim is to release these fish very quickly, it has the line capacity for an actual fight.

Line: I'm going to put about 400 yards of 60lb hollow-core to a mono topshot. I assume the mono has to be 40lbs or thinner or it will have too much memory to cast off the spinning reel. I'll probably use a loop to loop connection here for easy changing. I was then going to have a 8' 100lb leader to a ball bearing snap swivel for quick bait changes on release.

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know a few guys targeting Black Marlin off Japan with Stella 30K's. They fish PE8 (120lb) with 150lb leader. They use lures.
Just curious as to why you need a top shot compared to just a short leader. I would go with thicker leader epeically for marlin.
Sounds like fun though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The striped marlin I target are typically between 80lb and 150lb. There are a few bigger ones in the mix, but it's rare. If I was using conventional tackle, I'd probably use something like a Tac 20 and would never come close to being spooled. The Saltiga 20k has the same line capacity. So I think it's plenty (and perhaps too) big. When I target pacific sails I typically use a 10k sized reel with like 350 meters of PE5 and it's more than sufficient. (I can put 600meters of 60lb hollowcore on the 20k no problem. Will probably end up with 500 meters to a top shot).

I'm not 100% sold on needing a topshot. The problem with braid right to leader is there's so little stretch I worry about both popping fish off and it being taxing to use all day. I suspect it will be trial and error. Maybe this December I'll bring two setups with me, one with a 100yds of 40lb top shot and one straight to a leader and see.

You may be right about leader size. 130 may be the better bet here. I can easily tie 100pound. 130 is more of a pain. But the fisherman super stealth leader is pretty easy to tie so maybe I'll just use that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. The striped marlin I target are typically between 80lb and 150lb. There are a few bigger ones in the mix, but it's rare. If I was using conventional tackle, I'd probably use something like a Tac 20 and would never come close to being spooled. The Saltiga 20k has the same line capacity. So I think it's plenty (and perhaps too) big. When I target pacific sails I typically use a 10k sized reel with like 350 meters of PE5 and it's more than sufficient. (I can put 600meters of 60lb hollowcore on the 20k no problem. Will probably end up with 500 meters to a top shot).

I'm not 100% sold on needing a topshot. The problem with braid right to leader is there's so little stretch I worry about both popping fish off and it being taxing to use all day. I suspect it will be trial and error. Maybe this December I'll bring two setups with me, one with a 100yds of 40lb top shot and one straight to a leader and see.

You may be right about leader size. 130 may be the better bet here. I can easily tie 100pound. 130 is more of a pain. But the fisherman super stealth leader is pretty easy to tie so maybe I'll just use that.
Ah i ssee! im not familiar with striped marlin but seems like a lot of fun! Yea the mono stretch will give you more dampening during hook up and suprise runs. Maybe thicker leader will give you more of a cushioning effect and prevent break offs from the bill.

Big spinners, Salitga / CertateSW/TP SW/ Stella, are all primarily designed for braided (PE, Hollowcore, etc. ) type of line tied to a short leader. I am not sure the effect of a long monofilament topshot will have on performance of the reel.
I am skeptical how a 100lb+ mono would feel during drag runs and retrive, being that is over twice the thickenss and much less pliable than PE. Conv. reels will handle a tops shot much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts