360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-
New to 360 and not sure if this is the right forum.
Just picked up a salitga expedition and was wondering what size rod should I match it with. I would probably say line class max for me would be 130#. Is it better to get it custom wrapped or are there good options for finished rods out there. Normally fish with calstars but not to sure how there heavy spinning outfits are. What ring guides would you recommend in a build? I'd like to try something different on my next 6day trip in september. Wanted to try popping for tunas. thanks for any help.

·
778 Posts
welcome! and get ready for a flood of information!! everyone is into different sorts of rods, but the OTI rods are great and there are a bunch of great rod builders on this site. I use a Calstar 700XH finished with Fuji Sic guides and a slick butt(out of the rocket launcher and into the hand quicker) which has worked fine on the BFT in New England. Don't forget to check out the rod forums which will def. have a wealth of info, welcome to the site and tight lines!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)
It depends on what sizes of fish you target.
Can you provide more detailed info about targeted fish and sizes of fish ?

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Ksong-
I live here in so cal. and probably will target YFT when I go on my next 5 day trip. This set up will just be an addition to my regular gear. I probably won't fish this set up any higher than 100# or so, being new to the spinning world.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dingoatemebaby-
Is that calstar XH a finished rod or custom. That sounds like something I might be interested in. Do you have any links? Is a set up similar to yours under $500? thanks...jerome

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Then, go with 8' and longer rod rated upto 50 - 60 lbs for popping and short 5' - 6' rod rated 300g - 350g for jigging.

·
1,553 Posts
id load the reel up with 80lb if casting, 80-100lb if jigging. the expedition is really meant for jigging but can be used for popping. customs are cool but there are stock rods that are up to the task.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts