Spinning reels Whats with the price?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jiggawhat, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Whats the deal with having to pay twice or three times as much for a spinning reel than a conventional?Is it the price of bearings?Id like to think just as much R and D goes into most high end reels wether they are spinning or conventional.Any one know?

2. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Whats the deal with having to pay twice or three times as much for a spinning reel than a conventional?Is it the price of bearings?Id like to think just as much R and D goes into most high end reels wether they are spinning or conventional.Any one know?

Quality?

3. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Spinning reel is more complex to build but for ease of casting , it's hard to beat and if you are referring to quality products , a Stella should be compared with A Tiagra and a TwinSpin to a TDR .

Jon .

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

R&D plus the complexity of the parts plus the shear number of parts. Look at a schematic of a Stella vs a trinidad. You will notice there are several times as many parts in the Stella as the trini.

d-a

5. macka17

macka17 Member

Yes.
    And a lot more to go wrong too.

Personally I've tried eggbeaters. Cant get on with them. They relegated to 10lb and below.

They just don't feel right. Terrible to pump and wind with,
    I end up butt in crotch. Rod against chest Reel sideways. and just cranking the handle..Pumping with body, Can not balance with them at all.

'Orrible things...Not Proper reels at all....

My opinion anyway. I've only been fishing for near 60yrs now.
    With Proper reels ;) ...

see Ya
    macka17:)