360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi EVERYONE,
I am looking for a “smaller” spinning reel that can have about 200(or so)yards of 20lbs braid. I had a chance to play with the Daiwa BG 3000 and felt solid but little heavy(to me)....price point is good though:).
I have a BallisticEX2500 little too small....StellaSW10000 little too big for what I want to do (nothing in between;)).

I am hoping to use this reel for Squid fishing squid jig & sabiki for bait. AND if the Mahi is around I can tie on a bucktail and have some fun(if I get spooled here it’s ok).....just didn’t want to have another setup just for a fish that I don’t eat.:)

What you guys recommend for better bang for the buck?

·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry should have mentioned... when I was at the shop, they have the Ballistic LT and the Daiwa BG and BG was “heavier” in comparison.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi EVERYONE,
I am looking for a "smaller" spinning reel that can have about 200(or so)yards of 20lbs braid. I had a chance to play with the Daiwa BG 3000 and felt solid but little heavy(to me)....price point is good though:).
I have a BallisticEX2500 little too small....StellaSW10000 little too big for what I want to do (nothing in between;)).

I am hoping to use this reel for Squid fishing squid jig & sabiki for bait. AND if the Mahi is around I can tie on a bucktail and have some fun(if I get spooled here it's ok).....just didn't want to have another setup just for a fish that I don't eat.:)

What you guys recommend for better bang for the buck?
The BG is a great value but if you want light, try the Shimano Vanford

·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
San are you going squid fishing?

Benny
would love to charter a boat (like the pictures you sent me 6 coolers FULL). Looking for a setup that I can do it so I can just do squid fishing day only & bring it along on a tuna trip to catch bait. I think I am leaning towards Daiwa BG 3000 but no where near me that have it in stock.....so might not be a bad thing since that will give me more time to change my mind LOL:D:D

·
Retired Member
4,780 Posts
If you’re just going to use it for Bait squidding when tuna fishing, no need to get anything special. Just a light action spinning setup. But, if you going to go squidding on a charters then I would Invest in a decent Egi setup. You’ll have more fun. I have 3 setups one light spinning setup for tuna bait and two for squid Charters only.

Benny

·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But, if you going to go squidding on a charters then I would Invest in a decent Egi setup. You'll have more fun. I have 3 setups one light spinning setup for tuna bait and two for squid Charters only.

Benny
Model/s for the tuna trip squid setup are?:)

·
Retired Member
4,780 Posts
It depends on how you want to fish. One squid Jig tossed out and shot jerks on the way back. Or multiple jigs fished in tandem with a weight on the bottom.

Benny

·
Retired Member
4,780 Posts
This is my setup for single jig squidding when tuna fishing.
Loomis SR6010S IMX 5’
Tica Cutus SS500
You do not need a loomis imx model rod just something not to long and light enough that you can flip out a very light jig.

Benny

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you gonna use it on a sabiki rod? If so, I ended up (I fish lefty) finding a good deal on a Abu 5501C3 that I put on a sabiki rod. It works great for that purpose.

·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Loomis SR6010S IMX 5'
Tica Cutus SS500
Benny
Interesting, never thought they are that close to the boat. Thought I need to cast a little further so was thinking 6' medium-light PanFish rod. I guess 2 years in a row tuna trip cancelled not helping me build my "time on the water"

Are you gonna use it on a sabiki rod? If so, I ended up (I fish lefty) finding a good deal on a Abu 5501C3 that I put on a sabiki rod. It works great for that purpose.
Never thought about getting a Sabiki rod but I just might. :) Actually never thought about using baitcaster too:cool:, always thought I have a cast a little.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting, never thought they are that close to the boat. Thought I need to cast a little further so was thinking 6' medium-light PanFish rod. I guess 2 years in a row tuna trip cancelled not helping me build my "time on the water"

Never thought about getting a Sabiki rod but I just might. :) Actually never thought about using baitcaster too:cool:, always thought I have a cast a little.
Every situation is different. We usually drop down a sabiki (via boat) at rigs or shallow structure and don't need to cast a lot. So its easy for us to just use a BC and point the rod over the side and let it drop down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts