Spinning reel harness by AFTCO

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, May 28, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Aftco Fighting Harness Spin Strap
    [​IMG]

Aftco Maxforce II Ultimate Shoulder Harness
    [​IMG]

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

You gonna carry this Kil?

3. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You gonna carry this Kil?
    Yes. I have been looking for the best spinning harness for my shop and I think I finally found it.

5. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Going to fourchon this weekend, will be in touch next week to order...BTW I finally got to use that 400g PowerSpell last weekend, SWEET!!!!

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

John at Panama Sportfishing Lodge had one of those on the boat. When Macho found out I wanted to catch a marlin on a spinning reel, Sergio pulled it out and we adjusted it to fit me. It felt comfortable and I had it on for about one hour waiting for the bonito to get bitten.

I finally took it off as I told everyone on board that "The one most prepared never gets hooked up". Ten minutes later, Wacker gets hooked up to a marlin on his conventional OTI popping rod with a Hoo-X. I never got to use the Aftco harness, but it was there if I needed it. It looked very nice and well made. If you have a Reel Color ring on your spinning rod, the clamp work nice. If you don't, the nylon loop goes around the fore grip and connects to the quick release clamps. Very nice setup.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Going to fourchon this weekend, will be in touch next week to order...BTW I finally got to use that 400g PowerSpell last weekend, SWEET!!!!
    I told Pony of JM 300g - 400g JM Power Spell rods are going to be the best sellers among JM rods in the US.

I hope I can get them by next week. If you need before I get them, try tackledirect or Melton. They carry them.

I just talked with TJ who just came back from Panama and he told me he hooked up a 200 plus yft on a popper and the monster spit the hook after jumping out of water. :eek:

The AFTCO harness will be tremedous help when I pursuit 150 - 200 lbs bluefin on poppers in Cape Cod this year.

Good luck on your trip and I hope you land a monster yft.

8. txcards

txcards Senior Member

It looks like this harness can be attached after a fish has been hooked, you just have to run the ring end through the slit on the other ring end correct? I haven't seen one up close so all I have are pictures to go off of

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thats what I was thinking. The first time I saw this post I meant to order one to try it out...
    I have in the past used a piece of nylon rope in the same fashion. I just tied and x pattern around the reel foot and reel seat. It does not seem quite as effective as a conventional bucket harness setup but it definitely helped out.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I would be concerned with the shoulder harness on a large fish or long fight. Most peoples back muscles are there weakest. A good bucket style harness that uses your legs will be easier on you.

d-a

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I was mainly looking at the spinning reel strap. I think I could hook it up to my smitty harness and be good to go.
    Im not sure if this would work better than my nylon rope, it definitely looks better though haha.

12. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I bought the Aftco shoulder harness and used a rod clamp made by a guy in Mass. that is so much better than any strap you could use. The shoulder harness made landing my BFT in 15 min. a reality and a joy. The rod clamp costs $18.00 and he will ship it to you free. Below is a picture of the rod clamp, he has guy's all over the world using now and I just ordered two more from him on Thursday. he goes by the name of Alloy Toy on several other boards and if anyone wants his contact info I would be happy to put you in touch with him. With this clamp you can use standard drop starps and just clip into it, I am sure there are probably a few rods that will have issues with mounting it but I didn't find it all that big a deal. It is a clam shell type of design so it can accomodate a wide range of OD's and configurations.

[​IMG]