360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to put together 1 dedicated set-up for throwing 40 gram - 80 gram poppers here. I currently have a Saragossa SW8000 (too big) on a Black Hole Challenger Bank 801h. Great set-up, but feel I could get away using a lighter weight rig, for the typically 30lb and under tuna and dorado I will be focusing on. What do you guys feel is the smallest hi-end spinner to get the job done on these smaller pelagics? I'm open to any all suggestions, thanks!

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,080 Posts
I’ve used my Daiwa Catalina 4000H when catching bull reds (20-30 lbs) and have even landed a 50+ LB amberjack on it. If you’re looking for smaller as you mention this is what I’d recommend. (Or saltiga or saltiga bj 4000). Or you could just step down to a gosa 5k or 6k.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, bnz. I just did a quick search of the Catalina, and will definitely look into that reel further. Highly doubtful any shops have these reels, or the Saltiga spinners around here.

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,080 Posts
Try Digitaka for the Catalina and Saltiga BJ. JandH or tackle direct may have a saltiga in 4000 size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used my Daiwa Catalina 4000H when catching bull reds (20-30 lbs) and have even landed a 50+ LB amberjack on it. If you're looking for smaller as you mention this is what I'd recommend.
Try Digitaka for the Catalina
Thanks for your input, very much appreciated! The 2016 Daiwa Catalina 4000H, seems to be the reel I'm looking for. The (new) price is bearable too. Looks like most on this site, that have ordered form Digitaka, are happy customers. I will most likely sell my Saragosa SW6000 and SW8000.

I fish on my friends boat, so I can't take a mountain of gear. My reel bag holds 6 reels and I only have room for 1 spinning reel.

I'm confident that the Catalina 4000H will handle most of the fish I will target with the popper.

Thanks again for chiming in. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yo-Zuri Hydro is about 40g. Dorado in my avatar was caught on one of those almost 20 years ago. Still use them with good success. 150mm Tackle House Feed popper is 60g. Here Skipjack in 60g. I’ve had the most success on smaller poppers here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where do I look for an extra spool? Saw some on Digitaka, but have no idea what to get. Didn’t see an obvious Catalina spool. Not sure I’ll get one, just want to know where that option may be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all of the members here, who replied to a few of my threads on this topic. This is what I ended up getting.

716B0AAE-DC99-4711-8C6C-4941C078846B.jpeg

2016 Daiwa Catalina 4500H, that's on a Black Hole Challenger Bank 801MH-S. The reel is loaded with 300m of Varivas PE4 line.

I'll be getting the chance to use this new rig in the next few days. Lookin forward to it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts