Spinning reel expectations

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 31, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I know I will get hammered for this...BUT......Does it seem like people are getting unreal expectations for spinning reel capabilities? I hear people saying that their reels must get 30lbs of drag and winch a 250lb tuna in within 25 min. This CAN be done (and the stella is the tool to do it with.....for $1,000.00) but many seem to expect the same performance out of a saragosa or saltist that they get out of their Tiagra 50W.

I'm all for making new, bigger, lighter and better fishing equipment (OTI appears to be doing this daily) but it seems like people are getting ahead of themselves and wanting MUCH more than the usual can handle. A Spheros is like 100 bucks.....that alone should tell you that with all the upgrades in the world (waste of time/money in my opinion) it will not be the tool for 250 lb bluefin. Of course drags will seize up, but what can you expect? Money is an issue, that's true. I can't afford/wont pay for alot of the BEST tackle, but I think I have realistic expectations.

Now, let the lambasting begin.

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

Does it seem like people are getting unreal expectations for spinning reel capabilities?

hammered?..... lamblasting?...... wtf?..... you basically only asked one question and then stated your opinion (you're entitled to that today only ;))

to answer your question, IMO, yes,...... i think a few might have "unreal expections" but i believe the majority are like you. they don't wanna $hell out top-dollar for overpriced equipment but instead use what they can afford and then they "realistically" hope, wish, and pray they can pull it off with what they got

and fwiw, whilst i'm here posting my drivel,........ Melton's has their Stella 10000FA Reel in their clearance section for $600 but i dont know if that's a good deal-r-not....... their 8000 for $550 (just thot i'd pass-it-along jest-in-case that is a deal)

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I think the best approach is to get the best gear that you can comfortably afford. I do agree that there are some out there who have completely unrealistic expectations related to "moderate" or "mid priced" spinners. The fact is that if it was possible to get top end performance from a mid range reel then NO ONE WOULD BUY STELLA! That being said I don't see any issue with- say a saragossa - for occasional tuna trips. The truth is that you normally have to put in a lot of time on the water to run into a real giant and have a legit shot at catching one, and by the time most of us reach that point the addiction has taken over and the transition to "tackle ho" has already happened without us even realizing it!!!!

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Hamptonsurf:

I agree with you. Not gonna beat you up at all. If you want a spinning reel to stand up to Tuna after Tuna without failure, there are only a few options and all the upgrades in the World won't change that.

Bill Fisher:

I personally don't think that $600 for a Stella 10000FA is all that good of a deal. I have seen a few new, in the box Stella 18000SW reels go for under $700 on Ebay lately, and one new Saltiga Z6000 go for $500. So, the premium gear is starting to creep down a little bit.

5. hamptonsurf

I hoped not to get hammered and thanks for the responses. I know this forum has a LOT of die hard fishermen that make the term "tackle ho" an understatement. I just see alot of guys who are new to the game and/or maybe can't afford the stellas reading these posts and thinking that a spinner must get 30+ lbs of drag. patently untrue, you just need to change fishing tactics as well. saragosas are very good reels and can handle big fish. a seize up here and there are expected. I know alot of people that battle very big fish on penn 950s with much success. I've also seen 50Ws fail as well. Two things to note:

All reels, even stellas, may have weaknesses and the occasional "bab batch"

and

Its OK to NOT winch a tuna with a spinning reel. If you can land them consistently and don't leave thousands of yards of trailing braid all over the schools.....go for it. Max capacity and drag is not an end all be all.

6. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

I got mine 10ksw for 700 shipped from ebay.

7. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Pretty much everyone on this site knows (or at least knows of) Capt. Rich of Black Rose Fishing fame. Capt. Rich is one of the most successful Bluefin Tuna (casting and jigging game) Captains in all of the Cape Cod area. He uses almost exclusively Okuma Spinning reels. Okuma Salina, VS80, and his success rate is higher than most anyones. It certainly can be done with low end, entry level tackle.

8. hamptonsurf

Awesome.....I often equate this to golf for alot of people. The end difference is the user, not the equipment. I, due to my limited ability and talent/form, cannot hit a golf ball much longer with a 700 callaway driver than I can with a 150 dollar wilson driver. REASON: ME. But I keep playing and someday I will be able to use the callaway to it's capabilities.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Im going to get a little deep and against tackle whore thinking. I think it is easy to get wrapped up in the brand names, top shelf gear. I see it all the time, guys with massive amounts of tackle but never fish. I changed my ways last year with my new mantra of spend less on tackle and more on fishing

The rod or reel doesnt make the angler, its the man behind it that makes the difference.

Now, with that said I think you need to seriously gauge what your chasing in comparasin to your gear. Mid level to start and when you are doing it more often upgrade. I will tell you that a stella is a great investment and can be resold in a heartbeat

I dont see many mid level spinners today that can last a along time chasing bigger fish

10. jig

jig Senior Member

Why is an $8 drag upgrade that takes about 15 minutes to do a waste of time and money? I have caught plenty of YFT up to almost 100# (I can't seem to break the century mark, damn it) on my Spheros 14000 with carb drags. I think it is perfectly reasonable, given my specific situation for GOM YFT, to fish this reel at these limits, and to want more/better drag than the stock reel can provide if it can be reasonably acheived. The fact that it is so cheap and easy to do make it a no brainer.

11. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

This is a great post and incredibly timely for me. I for one am a Tuna Virgin and have asked myself this exact question....I've seen them caught but have yet to hook up my self. Rigging up for Tuna has been an extremely eye opening experience, with tackle ranging from $150 to over $1500 it's quite daunting. I'm lucky if I get out 5 days a year for Tuna so spending more than $300 for a spinning combo is not an option for me. I expect my set-up to land 1-2 tuna a year that's 90-130lbs. If I get more out of it it's a bonus, less will be a disappointment, Unrealistic...perhaps but at least I didn't have to mortgage my house again. My buddy landed his 1st and 2nd Tuna with a Penn spinfisher 750 on a 7' heavy uglystick. His 1st was 60lbs and 2nd was 80lbs. Took him a while but he did it. Palming the spool and taking his time was the key. Most would not even entertain the idea of this combo but it's what he could afford and made it happen. IMO his fishing abilities and knowing his equipments limits was more important in this case than his actual rig.

12. hamptonsurf

Now THATS what I was trying to say!

13. hamptonsurf

Steve, let's go fishing, I'll pay for gas.

14. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

The rod or reel doesnt make the angler, its the man behind it that makes the difference.

exactly!..... that's why i use the daiwa DF100A giant spinning reel for all my jiggin' & poppin' needs.........

•Stainless steel main shaft
    •Fully anodized for corrosion resistance
    •Sturdy aluminum spool
    •Smooth, multi-disc drag
    •Rugged metal gears
    •Smooth, stainless steel ball bearing drive
    •Rigid, metal bodied construction

@ 30 buck$-a-piece, they're disposable

:D

15. gman

gman Senior Member

Anthony agreed but my point is this just because you own a stella doesn't mean you will catch

you can give the worst angler the best gear and he will almost certainly lose his fish However I believe if you give a great angler sub par gear he may land his fish.

Good technique and patience and time on the water will get you farther

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Glenn is right. I've had my share of catching fish on crap gear and only from my experience and knowledge has let me land those fish.

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Why is an $8 drag upgrade that takes about 15 minutes to do a waste of time and money? I have caught plenty of YFT up to almost 100# (I can't seem to break the century mark, damn it) on my Spheros 14000 with carb drags. I think it is perfectly reasonable, given my specific situation for GOM YFT, to fish this reel at these limits, and to want more/better drag than the stock reel can provide if it can be reasonably acheived. The fact that it is so cheap and easy to do make it a no brainer.
    Its not a waste of money at all.
    Your comment about the Spheros being the " best buy " was on point.

My Dad bought SkeeterRonnies used spheros. I watched Ronnie land two 80lb YFT back to back and it was not a long fight whatsoever. My dad has since landed numerous tuna close to 100# on the same combo. The only issues are the handle and drag. Changing the drag washers out is about the easiest upgrade you could do to a reel in this case.

I don't see any reason why this reel would handle tuna upwards of 200#.

18. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

My wife and I have broken three Cabo 80s and one Cabo 60 that is four reels catching six YFT and a few small black fin between them. I now have Stellas because I don't want to be out for three days watching everyone else fish but all I can do is watch because my cheap reel broke the first night. The reels my wife and I had break all broke the first night of fishing and I was fortunate that I thought ahead and brought spares along.

Also it is easier to catch a big fish on cheap gear if you are on a smaller boat that can move around to help you.
    I watched diggs fight his fish for a couple of hours and I really can't say I saw him fight the fish wrong, he just couldn't do much with a rod and reel that couldn't handle the fish.

19. gman

gman Senior Member

Now lets do a South Coast vs East Coast jig fest tourney.:D

Im in 100% but did you move to the east coast yet ;)