Spinning Recommendation

Discussion in 'Reels' started by tracker12, May 25, 2008.

1. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

I am heading to the Sea Of Cortez this summer for a 5 day trip. Iwant to take a spinning reel loaded with 40# for throwing iron to Yellowtail plus maybe some yoyo. Looked at the Shimano Sustain 8000. Any recommedations on other models. Hopefully something cheaper.

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

if you were looking at the Sustain 8000FE, maybe look at the Saragosa 8000F. It's ~$70 cheaper.

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

For under $200 go with Cabo 80PTs on Ebay.
    I saw yesterday $149 free shipping.

4. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

I have been seeing a lot of good reports on the PT reels. How do these compare to the Penn 950SSM

5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Honestly never own both reel, judging from the review I will choose Cabo 80PTs.
    On my last trip, ToneyC catching plenty good size AJ on Cabo 80PTs and Hooper rod without problem.

You can read about Penn 950SSM issue in here:
    Jigging and Popping Forum

6. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

For under $200 go with Cabo 80PTs on Ebay.
    I saw yesterday $149 free shipping.

If that is a new US model BUY it now. Great price as dealer cost is $15 more then that quoted price. Just note that it may be warm.

7. awesum

awesum Senior Member

If that is a new US model BUY it now. Great price as dealer cost is $15 more then that quoted price. Just note that it may be warm.

Yup .... I got one about a year ago for $190 and thought I was getting a really good deal. The retail is $210.

8. JerseyBrian

I would rather prefer a lighter reel like the 8000series Sustain or Saragosa which are around ~20oz for casting to Yellowtail whereas I would want something like a Cabo 80PTs (which weighs ~30oz) for pure jigging purposes. Just my opinion though.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Make sure and have your license and know the limits, the Navy boats are out there in force this year...

10. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

I will be fishing on the Tony Reyes. Shouldbn't be a problem with the Navy. The weight is an issue with the Cabo. But I make this trip usually every other year and hate to sink to many $$$ in a reel. I am thinking I could double this reel for thr Surf to justify the extra $$.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you want to use a spinning reel just for yellowtail there, Sustain 8000 should work for you as the average yellowtail are in 5 - 15 lbs range.

12. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I took a 8000 series reel to Gordo banks in april and it was the reel i used the most.

13. JerseyBrian

I took a 8000 series reel to Gordo banks in april and it was the reel i used the most.
    god i love that place :)

14. jser

jser Junior member

stradic 8000fi

15. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Not sure when you went on that trip last but our average the last couple years on YT was 25# plus with a couple at 50#.

Also saw some Quntum VS reels. Also saw these on Ebay. Thye seem to be lighter.

16. JerseyBrian

Not sure when you went on that trip last but our average the last couple years on YT was 25# plus with a couple at 50#.

Were you fishing with a charter service? I was there last April and the YT were not there. Caught about 70 Pargo Snapper upto 12lbs in a day though :)

17. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

I will be fishing on the Tony Reyes. A mothership and then off on 20" punga boats. In July the YT are usually in there pretty thick. We head out of San Felipe on day one and head south towards East Cape then start fishing the way back for 4 1/2 days. great trip. Ususally catch Mahi mahi the first day as we are closer to the Ocean, then Grouper, Cabriea and Yellow tail.

18. JerseyBrian

Wow, that sounds like an amazing trip! Please post a full report with pics when you come back! :) Definitely got put this down on life's "to do list" :)